Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• UK TE Steve Borden trying to fit in

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Junior college transfer Steven Borden admits he “bounced around a little bit” during spring practice as Kentucky’s coaches tried to decide where he would fit best into offensive coordinator Neal Brown’s system.

“I played little slot in the beginning, but they had me more tight end full time at the end. Our offense, the two positions are fairly similar. Obviously when I was over at wide receiver, I did a little less blocking. Once I went to tight end and spent more time with coach (Vince) Marrow, I worked on blocking techniques more. I enjoyed it,” said Borden.

“I know that one of the things coach Brown wants to do is keep on playing without rotating personnel too much. If there is a tight end in the game and he can play receiver, then if he wants to split the tight end out he can without subbing. It does open things and keeps the defense from having time to set up for that.”

Borden said he did not initially pick up the offense as fast as he hoped, but he likes the offense.

“It just comes down to discipline. The techniques they have been teaching me, getting in better shape, that all helps. Especially moving positions made a difference in that, but what I learned at the last position transferred over a lot to the next position,” he said.

He’s a bit of a remarkable story going from a one-time NAIA player to a potential starter in the Southeastern Conference. He was a quarterback, receiver and linebacker for three years in high school in California before changing schools his senior year and playing as a defensive end in Texas. He went to Southwestern Assemblies of God, an NAIA school, and made 35 tackles before moving on to Kilgore (Texas) Junior college where he earned second-team all-conference honors at tight end before enrolling at UK in January.

“This is what I wanted to do my entire life from the time I was a little kid. Of course, I never figured I would be playing football at Kentucky. But now that I am here, it is such an exciting opportunity that I can’t wait for the season to get here,” Borden said.

“I think I always knew I would do what it took to get to this level. My goal ultimately has always been to play in the NFL. Something in me just didn’t feel right staying at a Division III school because I wanted to come here so bad. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do and then one day it just clicked and I made up my mind to do whatever I had to do. I had to go to a junior college first, but it was just a decision where it takes time and you have to be patient.”

What does he do best or add to a team?

“I know I will bring work ethic to the table. I always thought of myself being more of a receiving tight end than a blocking tight end, but with coach Morrow he is really big on us being able to do both,” Borden said. “If you want to go to the league (NFL), they are looking for tight ends that can do both. I want to be able to block just as well as I can receive. I think if I can just pick up everything they have been teaching me, I would love to be more of a receiving end.

“I plan on pancaking some SEC linemen. I want to do that. That is what coach Marrow wants. If you have enough strength and do what you are taught to do — shoot off low, be aggressive even against big boys and keep your pad level low like you are coached to do — I know this year I am pancaking some boys.”

He admits life in Lexington has been a “lot different than I pictured” even though he stays busy with football, school and tutoring.

“I am enjoying school, campus, team and all the guys here,” he said. “My parents are excited to have me here and love this atmosphere.”

His father is professional wrestler (Sting) and Borden still often gets questions from friends and teammates about his father.

“After a while people get used to it and see him as my Dad and not Sting,” Borden laughed and said. “It is a range of ages that recognize him because he has been doing it for so long. A lot my age know him, too.”

The junior college transfer says UK fans will likely notice his father at games.

“He will get into games. When we are making big plays, you will see him standing up and screaming,” Borden said. “He loves football and watching competition. He has been with me on this journey the whole time. He is going to be as excited as I am to watch things develop when the season gets here.”

He says it is “tough” to distinguish if he has more of his father’s or mother’s personality.

“I have a little mix of both. I know with the excitement and charisma, I think I got from my dad, especially in game atmosphere. I love that,” he said. “My mom has always been a big part of my career, but my dad actually by the time I was 2 or 3 years old, he was home more often. He would make football games and things like that. But my mom, she did the best a mom could do. She drove me places. She took me to practice. She worried just like all the other moms when I was getting hit. She has been so supportive my whole life.

“She is thrilled I play football. She wants me to also explore other things and even though she gets worried out there, she enjoys watching it even if she does close her eyes at times because she’s worried I might get hurt.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post