Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Jeff Sheppard on DeMarcus Cousins

During the last two seasons, only 12 NBA players have averaged at least 17 points and nine rebounds per game both years. The list includes Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard and David Lee, who all have contract extensions worth $79 million or more.

Former Kentucky standout DeMarcus Cousins is also on that list — and a bargain since his original four-year contract with Sacramento paid him “only” about $15 million. However, Cousins has also been involved in several on-court and off-court incidents that have tarnished his image at times.

“I spent some time with DeMarcus this summer,” said Jeff Sheppard, the Final Four MVP in 1998 when UK won the national championship. “I am really pulling for DeMarcus. I really think it is time for him to grow up and mature and move forward and be a true basketball superstar. He has the physical ability to do that.”
    Comments 15 Comments
      Jimcats -
      Well, Jeff, at least the fans won't jump on you about your Cousins comments---which are so spot on that DeMarcus himself says "amen".
      UKHistory -
      He is like Barishnikov on the baseline. I could weep watching him post up. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I have never seen a big guy With better hands or feet...One of my favorites
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      He is like Barishnikov on the baseline. I could weep watching him post up. It was amazing.
      My favorite in person UK moment anywhere was his offensive rebound of John Wall's miss and nifty quick put back to send the SEC championship game into overtime. As people here are getting tired of hearing me say, I was literally under that basket behind the cheerleaders and as close to a defining play as I will ever be. The place exploded, of course. I still get chill bumps thinking about it.

Sent using Forum Runner
      Darryl -
      I remember when Cousins committed to UK. My wife's nephew is a big UAB/college basketball fan. He told me "good luck with
      that psycho Cousins". Folks will simply not believe how bad Demarcus' reputation was here in Alabama (all through his high
      school career). One story had him punching a bus driver, another time it was a coach, etc.

Cal worked wonders with Cousins. If he can mature just a bit more, I think DC will be the NBA's best big man. One of my favorite
      UK players ever. I still think he WANTED to return to UK for a 2nd year, but could not turn down the money. He would have been
      the NPOY and #1 pick in 2011 if he had done so.

Darryl
      TonyRay -

My seat was second row from the top but still enjoyed it! Love Cuz!!'
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      My favorite in person UK moment anywhere was his offensive rebound of John Wall's miss and nifty quick put back to send the SEC championship game into overtime. As people here are getting tired of hearing me say, I was literally under that basket behind the cheerleaders and as close to a defining play as I will ever be. The place exploded, of course. I still get chill bumps thinking about it.

Sent using Forum Runner
      I happened across that on YouTube last week and I always love seeing that. Great moment--showed how much they loved each other, and loved to compete.
      Jeeepcat -
      I still want to know about the "off court" issues other than calling people out - who usually deserved it. :-)
      jazyd -
      Try living in miss and you would have loved it even more

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;100074]My favorite in person UK moment anywhere was his offensive rebound of John Wall's miss and nifty quick put back to send the SEC championship game into overtime. As people here are getting tired of hearing me say, I was literally under that basket behind the cheerleaders and as close to a defining play as I will ever be. The place exploded, of course. I still get chill bumps thinking about it.

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]
      blueboss -
      Boogie has remained my favorite in the Cal era, I wish he would have returned and believe he would have had Cal been less than adamant about leaving. I feel the same with PPat I think he too wanted to return more than just a little bit....we'd be talking about #10 this year.
      ukblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      I have said this before, but Cousins is the best offensive rebounder of the ball I have ever seen.
      Ghetto, Moses Malone was a helluva offensive rebounder. Relentless.
      dan_bgblue -
      Not a popular opinion boss, but it is one I have good info on, and I agree with your thoughts
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
      Ghetto, Moses Malone was a helluva offensive rebounder. Relentless.
      Wes Unseld was another. iirc he averaged about 20 boards per game. Not bad for a 6'7" center
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      I remember when Cousins committed to UK. My wife's nephew is a big UAB/college basketball fan. He told me "good luck with
      that psycho Cousins". Folks will simply not believe how bad Demarcus' reputation was here in Alabama (all through his high
      school career). One story had him punching a bus driver, another time it was a coach, etc.

Cal worked wonders with Cousins. If he can mature just a bit more, I think DC will be the NBA's best big man. One of my favorite
      UK players ever. I still think he WANTED to return to UK for a 2nd year, but could not turn down the money. He would have been
      the NPOY and #1 pick in 2011 if he had done so.

Darryl
      Well he also punched the S Carolina student!

He had a real bad rap coming out of HS, and it was likely deserved. He certainly helped himself by playing for Cal. Both worked hard. Still needs to learn to act his age but it could be worse, way worse
      JPScott -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Well he also punched the S Carolina student!
      You mean this ?

Link

I thought it was established at one point that the player wasn't even Cousins but Patrick Patterson? Beyond that, if you can see a punch there, then you've got better eyesight than me.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by JPScott View Post
      You mean this ?

Link

I thought it was established at one point that the player wasn't even Cousins but Patrick Patterson? Beyond that, if you can see a punch there, then you've got better eyesight than me.
      I was joking. Been well established that the accusation was bogus based on the video
  • KSR Twitter Feed