Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with TV Williams

As receiver T.V. Williams was contemplating his college choice, he looked at how Texas Tech used 5-6, 163-pound receiver Jakeem Grant (32 catches for 284 yards and three scores) during his freshman season in 2012.

“He had a great year and there’s a lot more he can do now the next two or three years because coach (Neal) Brown and coach (Tommy) Mainord gave him a chance,” said the 5-10, 150-pound Williams. “I see myself fitting into that offense pretty well.”
    Williams became the 19th player in the 2014 recruiting class to verbally commit to UK during a press conference Tuesday night in McKinney, Texas.

Williams met Brown and Mainord about a year ago when he attended a Texas Tech camp.
    “I performed pretty well and we kept in contact during the season. Then they left Texas Tech for Kentucky right after the season,” Williams said. “I messaged coach Brown and said if he was bringing that offense to Kentucky, I was still interested in playing for him. He said okay and we had a good relationship. Me and coach Mainord built a relationship and now I am going to love being there with them.”

Brown is UK’s offensive coordinator and Mainord the receivers coach. They run the offense Williams likes.
    “I like to play fast,” Williams, who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds, said. “I like to go no-huddle. That’s what we do at my school and have since my eighth-grade year. I like to play hard. I like to have the ball in open space and take it to the house (end zone). I love going deep. I feel I can really stretch the field with my speed.”

He’s confident, but not cocky, about his ability.
    “My parents always instilled a great deal of confidence in me,” he said. “But they also always told me confidence and cocky are two different things. I try to utilize my confidence. Confidence is a belief in yourself but you don’t have to tell everybody. Cocky is believing and knowing but having the need to tell everybody else. There’s really no need to do that.”

He says he got more confidence in himself after he received the first of about 20 Division I scholarship offers.
    “That let me know I could do it and it was not just my parents telling me that. Other college coaches were telling me that, too,” Williams said.

Others told him he was too small to play Division I football.
    “They didn’t say it directly to me, but a lot of people were writing articles saying how small I was. That just makes me work harder. It’s no big deal,” Williams said.
    Williams says he can block and is not afraid of contact.
    “In Texas, we play a lot of hard hitting football. I play in the biggest league in Texas. Every year we play the No. 1 team in the nation and I love it,” Williams said. “If it is not intense, it’s not worth it. You do not want to be a in a game where there is not hitting or big plays. It wouldn’t be worth it.”

He’s been in Lexington twice and used a spread sheet his father developed to help him rate the schools recruiting him.

“It helped me narrow down the schools to my top five. That’s the biggest thing that helped,” he said. “Right after I came back from Kentucky, Nebraska and Iowa, I sat down with my dad and went through the spread sheet to rank my top five. Then I kind of prayed on it and used where my heart was and where I felt best and that was Kentucky.”

Williams readily admits he was surprised by the buzz over UK football and how big a football state Kentucky is.
    “It did surprise me at first. I couldn’t explain it to any of my friends. They were like, ‘What is wrong with Twitter?’ I was getting hit (on Twitter). I just fell in love with the Big Blue Nation. We have the best fans in the world. It is amazing. I am so happy to be part of it and able to say I am a Kentucky Wildcat now,” Williams said.

“I would tell the fans to keep it up for everybody. It means a lot. A lot of colleges hate it (fan interaction on social media). A lot of college fans hate it and say it is inappropriate for grown adults to tell children about their college decision. But there’s not a rule against it. It is a good recruiting tool to show how great our fans are. If you don’t like it, don’t do it. But Kentucky fans are great at it.”
    Comments 11 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Larry, you've always said that Kentucky is a football state. Heard on his radio show the other day, even Matt Jones quoted you on that and gave you credit
      dan_bgblue -
      Good read. Thanks very much. He is going to be fun to watch. Every team needs a waterbug that can torment the opposing defense.
      jazyd -
      small TV set, hope he can take a pounding.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Hopefully he can add 20-30 lbs of muscle onto his frame with losing that speed. We got one outside guy in Thad and a slot guy in TV. Need to add a big WR target like Blake Bone and another slot guy like Berrios. Put those guys with Timmons, Montgomery, Blue and Badet from this years group and we could have a strong WR group for years.

I'm so excited for football!!!!!
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      small TV set, hope he can take a pounding.
      Put him in position to not take a ton of contact in space and it might work out. He has to be able to take some hard hits he is not used to, but there is no reason he can not make plays if used correctly and last a season as well. He does not have to take most of those hits head on because of his speed and shiftieness,

Trindon Holliday, anyone?
      Padukacat -
      Well hes not gonna win many battles of mass x velocity even w 4.4 speed.
      Darrell KSR -
      Derek Abney was 5'9, 175, and I thought he was small. What is TV--145 pounds soaking wet?

Add 15 pounds, let him avoid everybody, and hope for the best.
      jazyd -
      Is he as fast as Derek? 4.4 is good but not blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Derek Abney was 5'9, 175, and I thought he was small. What is TV--145 pounds soaking wet?

Add 15 pounds, let him avoid everybody, and hope for the best.
      dan_bgblue -
      One thing I consider when looking at athletes of this stature is how quickly do they get to top speed. If he is running full out in just a few steps, that creates a lot of separation with athletes that may be just as fast or a bit faster but take longer to rev up to top speed.

just a thought as I have not seen him play, but have a fondness for players like him
      Terry Blue -
      Read where he said he plays top competition in Texas
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Is he as fast as Derek? 4.4 is good but not blazing.
      He's quite a bit faster than Derek. Abney was a 4.5 guy with great feet.

I would bet that Williams will be almost the exact same size that Craig Yeast was when he arrived at UK when TV gets here in August 2014. Being that size worked out okay for Craig.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post