Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Tyre Brady insists he is a Kentucky commit, will be back July 18 with other commits

With all the buzz over Kentucky football, there is one recruiting saga that is a bit perplexing.

No, it’s not whether John Hardin defensive tackle will pick Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Louisville or Kentucky. No, it’s not will UK coach Mark Stoops run out of scholarships to offer based on how many players are committing to UK.

Instead, it’s whether Tyre Brady, a talented receiver out of Florida, is committed to UK or not.

He says yes. Some recruiting services say no.

So which is it about the 6-3 1/2, 195-pound Brady who also has scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State and others?
    “I have seen the rumors about Kentucky not accepting my commit because they did not tweet out Yahtzee until a couple of hours later,” said Brady.

Yahtzee is the code word Kentucky coaches — who are not allowed to comment on recruits until they have signed a scholarship — have started using on Twitter when a player does commit.

“The funny thing is that I committed at Kentucky on my visit in front of the coaches,” Brady said. “Then they called my mom and told her how happy they were that I committed. One recruiting website put me on the list and moved UK to No. 1 in the nation and then somebody took me off the commitment lists. I don’t know what happened or what some people think, but I am committed to Kentucky.

Brady is only a three-star recruit — amazing how coach Mark Stoops has recruited so well that it is now okay to put only in front of a three-star player. However, he had an offer from Miami,  Mississippi State and Minnesota. Ohio State has shown interest. He’s made visits to Georgia and Louisville.
    He may not have the big-time speed of some receivers, but he says he uses his size to make plays.

“I can catch the ball in traffic, and like to do that. I think I have good hands and run good routes,” Brady said. “I love coach (Neal) Brown’s offense. I actually got a chance to sit down with him and coach (Tommy) Mainord and they showed me a receiver at Texas Tech like me and how they could work a big guy into the offense. Coach Mainord said the upside I had on him is speed. Coach Mainord said he loved my upside.”
    He missed his sophomore season due to academic issues and moved to Houston for a semester last school year before returning to South Dade Senior High School in Homestead, Fla.
    “Last year was good for me, but then I moved to Texas,” he said. “But I had a great spring. I scored five times — twice in the first game we played and three times the second game. It was a grade thing, nothing physical, that made me miss my sophomore year. But I have that under control now.”

He said it was not hard to turn down traditional in-state powerhouses Florida, Florida State and Miami to commit to Kentucky.

“It was tempting to play for one of them, but Kentucky has been the leader since they came down in the spring,” Brady said. “The coaches were trying to get me to stay home, but it wasn’t hard for me to leave. The distance is not a problem because I believe in Kentucky and what those coaches are doing.

“I am proud to say I am committed to Kentucky. I am happy to be a Wildcat. I am going back up to Kentucky July 18 with the other commits. We will be there together doing things. But I am definitely committed no matter what anybody says and definitely planning to play at Kentucky.”
    Comments 8 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      Interesting.
      LarryVaught1 -
      very puzzling to me
      Kacat -
      Not that puzzling. The kid missed his SO year of HS due to grades. That is no small matter. Clearly he has a spot IF and only IF he can show some academic progress.
      Terry Blue -
      My understanding too
      LarryVaught1 -
      But puzzling why recruiting sites don't count him as commit. Ware has the same issues, maybe worse
      dtalbersjr -
      They're not counting him as a commit because the coaches aren't counting him as a commit. The coaches must view Ware as likely to clear his hurdles, while they apparently don't have the same optimism for Brady.
      Kacat -
      Because recruiting sites are dumb. There is ZERO harm counting him as a commitment. There are a number of kids listed as commits across the country that either won't sign or make it into school. It's silly not to count him as a KY commit.
      LarryVaught1 -
      With you KAcat. If coaches don't count him, then why have him back in July
  • KSR Twitter Feed