Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky/Indiana All-Star Game Experience on Father's Day Eve "Rise of the Hawk"

It had been more than a few years since I had seen a Kentucky/Indiana All-Star Game in person. I was lucky enough to have a good seat for Game #2 in Indianapolis for the 2013 edition this past Saturday. Though wearing one of my 2012 National Championship T-shirts, aside from the typical sullen stares that are common whenever I am out and about with my gear on in Indiana's capital city, folks were friendly, polite, and fun to talk to, even with a tad of smack resulting from the epic beat down our Kentucky boys took in Game #1 at Freedom Hall.

Cool tidbit was sitting behind ex-Butler coach Todd Lickliter (originally from Corbin, replaced Thad Matta, was replaced by Brad Stevens, hired by Iowa, had some health issues that have been solved, and now happily coaching local NAIA Marian). We really enjoyed talking to him and he showed mad respect for Kentucky tradition and our enthusiasm for good basketball.

Sitting about 15 rows from the floor, across the court from the Indiana bench, free throw stripe in our direct line, I arrived during the second half of the girl's game in time to see Makayla Epps show why she will be walking in her Daddy's proverbial sneakers once she gets to UK. Though down by 15 or so, Epps showed the same warrior traits that her legendary Father was known for while leading the dominant 1996 UK Championship team to Wildcat Heaven. She topped Kentucky with 23 points on 6-10 from the field, 2-3 from three, 9-12 from the line, and 4 assists, tying Indiana's Bridget Perry for game high scoring honors.

This young lady is built strong, is very mobile, and is an aggressive, yet controlled, bulldog when attacking the rim, finishing, or finding her open mates. While it could be seen as too little too late, Epps made a game out of what could have been a blowout. Fans of UK Hoops will very much enjoy her tenacity and competitive spirit.

The difference in the game might have been Indiana's containment of Ashton Feldhaus, daughter of Kentucky Boy's coach, Allen Feldhaus, Jr. After going off from deep in the Kentucky girls' win at Freedom Hall, Feldhaus was held scoreless, leaving Kentucky's offense struggling on the whole.

While waiting for the boy's game to start, I chatted up a nice guy sitting in front of me who happened to be the strength and conditioning coach at Marian (never got his name though). As the Kentucky players were being introduced, my initial impressions were the striking lack of muscle and overall conditioning one could see, especially the, ahem, "bigs". This was my first live viewing of Derek Willis and there is no question that the young man NEEDS to eat like an NFL O-linemen who has been assigned to devour the entire Cracker Barrel menu three times a day.

As the Indiana players were introduced (to a ridiculously LAME version of an NBA light show thang, complete with a VERY poor man's attempt at aping the Pistons' John Mason), it was equally apparent that the hoosier kids were NOT lacking in powerfully athletic bodies. I nudged Marian's S&C coach and asked him, somewhat rhetorically, if it was just as obvious to him. He sorta chuckled and simply said, "ummm, yeah, easily".

Now, don't be mistaken, Kentucky's guards were just as fit as anyone, but from Notre Dame commit Demetrius Jackson, who was built like a freaking mack truck for a PG, to Indiana's Darius Latham, who looked like a Defensive End, perhaps because he actually WAS a DE for Indianapolis North Central while playing in the paint for the local basketball juggernaut, Indiana's kids were bigger, stronger, and full to the brim with elite athletic gifts.

The cool thing about the game was that it became very clear very fast that the Kentucky kids were playing to win, not to make the score look better than Game 1. Despite the truth about Willis and Hawkins being tired from a lot of extra work with their Cats teammates leading up to the game in Freedom Hall, it was easy to see a "get after it" mentality that could not have possibly been apparent in the first game. Leading that charge, starting in minute #1 was Domonique Hawkins.

He had VERY high energy, trying to get his teammates involved early, setting them up with good shots that they mostly missed, identifying that quickly and, thus getting his open shots in transition early and often, and turned on an extra gear on D that really kept them in the game. He was getting in passing lanes, hitting the boards, scrambling all over the court, picking pockets from behind the play, and hitting sweet jumpers from anywhere he wanted, be they fadeaway ten footers, open OR contested threes, and scintillating drives to the rack through a tough interior hoosier D.

I had heard a LOT about Hawkins from my Pops, one of the finest analysts of high school players that I ever have or will know (the man has made Kentucky's Sweet Sixteen every year, but one over the past 40 years or so), and long before he was on UK's radar as a recruit. Seeing Domonique in person won me over and then some. As much as I like Jarred Polson's hustle and toughness, and despite this being an All-Star game, I left with NO doubt that Hawkins will play meaningful minutes for the Cats this year and that, unfortunately, my man Polson will be relegated to mop up minutes. I hate to write that, but I see it as obvious truth.

The thing I really like about Hawkins is that he is a gamer, has that will to win and maturity that is rare for a Freshman, regardless of pedigree. He WANTS to play defense, is a fearless shooter from all over the court, AND shows a smooth stroke with a calm demeanor. You want a leader coming off the bench? I'm here to tell ya, Mr. Hawkins has that in spades. He seemed to relish taking over the game when needed, having that perfectly balanced approach that you want out of your point guard because he never forgets to look for his teammates while doing all of that.

In the end, the Indiana kids simply had too much size, strength, overall team talent, and options for the rest of the Kentucky kids to compete with, but Hawk kept them there to the last minute, ready to potentially squeak out a win. I was just so happy, on Father's Day Eve, to be with my Pops, seeing this great player (and, incidentally, seeing some super open court ball-handling and toughness out of Mr. Willis BTW, who got precious little help inside against Indiana's beastly front line) in the person of Domonique Hawkins convince me that he could play at a very high level and dominate while doing it.

Some have suggested (and I would have agreed, based on my initial ignorance) that Hawk would be as low on the depth chart for UK as ninth to eleventh. He's MUCH better than that, which is saying a LOT when we are talking about the most talented team since the 1996 Wildcats. Believe it. The Hawk is ready to soar for the Big Blue Nation. Get your popcorn ready, y'all.
    Comments 20 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      Good stuff.
      badrose -
      Nice work, Krank! Really enjoyed that and I'm now even more stoked about Hawkins.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks Krank......we love these candid reports, especially in the slow period.....
      TonyRay -
      Good stuff, just didnt know you were a UCONN fan.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      Good stuff, just didnt know you were a UCONN fan.
      LOL, thanks for catching that, Tony. Fixed now.... and thanks to all for the kind comments. I enjoyed the game and sharing it with everyone.
      Padukacat -
      Thanks Krank(thatmustard).
      Darrell KSR -
      Good stuff Krank, thanks very much.
      Doc -
      Nice job Krank. Only one correction, its Derek Willis, not Kevin (the former NBA player Kevin Willis is not related to current UK commit Derek Willis) unless of course the "rise of the Hawk" does refer to Kevin Willis who played for Atlanta Hawks.

<----Kevin Willis

<---- Derek Willis

I totally agree about Hawkins. IMO it was a bit of a coup to get him. Some say UK would have never gone after him if he wasn't from the state and they are right but so what. He is a great fit and I don't care about the circumstances. He provides depth and toughness off the bench. I too love Polson, but Hawkins is a step up even though he is younger and lacks the college experience the Jared has. Hopefully Jared brings the leadership UK lacked last year.
      Darrell KSR -
      Front page stuff there, Krank. I need some art to go with it but I will later, since I am posting it to the front page from my phone.
      cattails -
      Nothing but the best from the Krank mister!! Well written information and fun to read. You may have missed your calling my man!!!
      kingcat -
      Great read Krankster!
      dan_bgblue -
      Really nice job of reporting Krank. I have liked everything I have read about Hawkins.
      blueboss -
      Whether you're gut'n hoosiers and tarheels, or break'n down the skinny on a player, Krankster, you Sir wax prophetically. I was in Richmond today and the guys I was talking with were echoing your sentiments. They think once given the chance we are all going to be pleasantly surprised with "THE HAWK" (ster)
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Nice job Krank. Only one correction, its Derek Willis, not Kevin (the former NBA player Kevin Willis is not related to current UK commit Derek Willis) unless of course the "rise of the Hawk" does refer to Kevin Willis who played for Atlanta Hawks.

I totally agree about Hawkins. IMO it was a bit of a coup to get him. Some say UK would have never gone after him if he wasn't from the state and they are right but so what. He is a great fit and I don't care about the circumstances. He provides depth and toughness off the bench. I too love Polson, but Hawkins is a step up even though he is younger and lacks the college experience the Jared has. Hopefully Jared brings the leadership UK lacked last year.

DANG IT!!! LOL, Doc, I swear I have made the Kevin/Derek error over and over and over again. Stuff like that ticks me the hell off, but I am a tad obsessive about grammar. Of course, THEN I noticed that I misspelled "Jarrod" and "Dominique" too, so thanks for the catch. Also, I suppose this is the karma I get for trying to out-snark you on spelling as a sport.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Front page stuff there, Krank. I need some art to go with it but I will later, since I am posting it to the front page from my phone.
      Very honored, Darrell. Thanks a ton for the props and the front page placement.

Don't know how easy it is to do, or if possible, but my obsessive evil internal twin would like to know if you could replace the front page original version with the just edited for spelling (and incorrect player NAME) version. Thanks again to Doc for picking that up. Would like to represent myself, and especially this great site, professionally. I posted the story/thread way later than I wanted to and hammered out the article too fast, stupidly certain that name and spell checking was unnecessary beyond what I had done. Anyways thanks for whatever you choose to do or not, LOL.

Also, I meant to thank you for choosing to "blog me" some weeks back regarding a little thread I started about predicting what will happen with this year's roster. Didn't expect that, but was flattered you chose to post it. Thanks a ton, Darrell, and it never can be stated enough... YOU, Citizen, and the rest of "the Mod Squad" are bar none THE BEST in the UK sports site biz and it's always great to be here with you "pros"!
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Nothing but the best from the Krank mister!! Well written information and fun to read. You may have missed your calling my man!!!
      Appreciate that, CT. Of course, there is only so much I can do from prison. Just sayin'!
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      Whether you're gut'n hoosiers and tarheels, or break'n down the skinny on a player, Krankster, you Sir wax prophetically. I was in Richmond today and the guys I was talking with were echoing your sentiments. They think once given the chance we are all going to be pleasantly surprised with "THE HAWK" (ster)
      Thanks boss. Yeah, ya know, I had a brief thought that some might recall my Mason County connections and imagine that I was just blustering about Hawk due to him being coached by former Royal Allen Feldhaus Jr., but the kid is straight up for real and then some. It's gonna be a blast rooting for these Kentucky kids, especially Dominique.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments. I love writing, in general, and get a particular kick out of writing for you ladies and gentlemen... I know, I just called CitizenBBN a gentleman, despite all available evidence.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      DANG IT!!! LOL, Doc, I swear I have made the Kevin/Derek error over and over and over again. Stuff like that ticks me the hell off, but I am a tad obsessive about grammar. Of course, THEN I noticed that I misspelled "Jarrod" and "Dominique" too, so thanks for the catch. Also, I suppose this is the karma I get for trying to out-snark you on spelling as a sport.
      Its like calling Archie Goodwin Archie Griffin. Sort of rolls off the tongue. But I admit the first time I read it I thought maybe Derek had a brother
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

Don't know how easy it is to do, or if possible, but my obsessive evil internal twin would like to know if you could replace the front page original version with the just edited for spelling (and incorrect player NAME) version.
      Easy.

One button click to edit. Replace name. Done.

Takes 15 seconds to edit on a bad day. I am not going to tell you how long it took at other places.

And let me thank you, and all for their many contributions to the site. This is unique, as it is community-driven, and we have always focused on the community. We are led by our leader, the incomparable Larry Vaught, who embraces the community aspect of internet sports and message boards better than anyone in the business. It is the many contributions from the participation of all in the site that makes it thrive.
      Philly Cat -
      Home run report, Krank. Thanks for taking the time to make us feel like we were there.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post