Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Past is the Past and Time to Move on

Mark Stoops (courtesy photo - Mark Corneilson)

We find several dyed-in-the-wool long time fans that are still rooted in the Joker Phillips era. There come a time when you have to pull up stakes and move on are suffer over-run of urban development and rural expansion. It’s time to get on the bus or get left at the station. For the rooted fan's satisfaction let’s play a little what if? Had UK have beaten U of L and avoided a forty-point loss to Vandy he might still be, God forbid! And what if the Cards had gone 5-7? Doing what they did in winning a BCS Bowl UK was forced to keep up in its dedication to the sport of football.

My Take on His Well Being

We’ve said many times that we don’t have any great concern with the well being of Phillips but wish him well and he will be alright. His coaching abilities are well respected around the country. We’ve picked up on the fact that he is still recruiting in the state of Kentucky and some fans are irritated about that. The answer to that is given his Kentucky roots his boss would not be pleased if they found he wasn’t recruiting the state of Kentucky. I supposed with use of twitter it makes it hard to forget Joker Phillips.

Coaching Transition

Observing what’s occurring in Stoops transition one can see the coach-in-waiting at Kentucky was more than an effort for Phillips. He went from being just Joker to Head Coach Joker. This meant he had to go from being the good cop Joker to the bad cop Joker. And when you looked at the number of suspensions Joker doled out there was a level of resistance and push-back from some of the players. I actually witnessed a pocket of players mocking Phillips. Granted, most of these were players that weren’t playing led by Mark Crawford who was in the dog house at the time. Rich Brooks had a similar situation with Dusty Williams and Chad Anderson. Players are the best recruiters for the program and if the present players aren’t buying in the recruiting suffers.

It Just Didn’t Work

In short the Joker Phillips experiment just didn’t work and continuous sniping at Joker I find to be unnecessary. He’s moved on and likewise we need to do the same thing. Let’s enjoy the amazing exploits of Mark Stoops and his wonderful staff.
    Comments 42 Comments
      bigsky -
      Dyed. Did the person die helping that cute little ewe over the fence, or what??
      dtalbersjr -
      I'll move on when we quit feeling the effects of his complete and utter incompetence. He took over at the high point of the last 50 years and very nearly destroyed our football program with his incompetence. I can't stand what he did to our program, and I'm not ready to move on.

Considering it was fans (including myself) who forced Mitch's hand, we're more than entitled to hang onto our anger at Joker for awhile.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      I'll move on when we quit feeling the effects of his complete and utter incompetence. He took over at the high point of the last 50 years and very nearly destroyed our football program with his incompetence. I can't stand what he did to our program, and I'm not ready to move on.

Considering it was fans (including myself) who forced Mitch's hand, we're more than entitled to hang onto our anger at Joker for awhile.
      Worst coach in UK football history, and that is saying something.

Darryl
      Catonahottinroof -
      Truth and the bar was set high (or is that low) by several.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Worst coach in UK football history, and that is saying something.

Darryl
      CitizenBBN -
      I dont mind that joker is recruiting Kentucky. First joker is a uk guy and I want him to do well as I did when he was here. Second, and this sounds mean but its the truth, its not like I consider him a threat to our recruiting. Hes not even in the same league as stoops and the staff he assembled and hes not all that beloved by the hs coaches in ky anyway. So I wont begrudge him makjng a living and he was hired to recruit here but it also wont be a big impediment to stoops either.

Re the past I agree theres no point to piling on him, but its a reaction to fans being told they were wrong or expecting too much when he was here and they werent satisfied. Joker was sold to the fans as a recruiter and stoops is wiping the floor with him. It makes fans feel vindicated in their views and angry we had to watch all that brroks did accomplish get totally undone before uk did something.

Itll pass fairly quickly imo. Itll come up re a particular recruit or player but it wint be too bad imo. People will be mad at the lack of sec caliber players in the roster this fall and as that is on joker j dont think that csn be avoided.
      Catonahottinroof -
      The start of the season will bring some closure, until then 3 years of anger will be vented by the guys that paid the bills, and then refused to pay the bils.
      Padukacat -
      Joker was just in over his head, which should have been seen by others.
      dan_bgblue -
      I had moved on about 2 years ago
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

Cant argue that point one bit. If uk fans had dutifully shown up this past year at games and not voted with their feet and dollars joker would probably still be here.

Mitch forced this showdown with uk football fans, I cant blame anyone for being mad it was handled that way and uk fans were once again told by their ad to shut up, quit complaining, and sent in their season ticket money.

This last year to me was like currys last year and cm telling fsns to go root for another team. It forestalled rebuilding by a year, the effects of another bad recruiting year will be felt even longer, and it cost the program many millions of dollars.

Still im as mad at uk, mitch, todd and the board of trustees as much as I am joker for the wasted third year. They all had a hand in it.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by LonnyDemaree View Post
      We find several died-in-the-wool long time fans that are still rooted in the Joker Phillips era. There come a time when you have to pull up stakes and move on are suffer over-run of urban development and rural expansion. It’s time to get on the bus or get left at the station. For the rooted fan's satisfaction let’s play a little what if? Had UK have beaten U of L and avoided a forty-point loss to Vandy he might still be, God forbid! And what if the Cards had gone 5-7? Doing what they did in winning a BCS Bowl UK was forced to keep up in its dedication to the sport of football.

My Take on His Well Being

We’ve said many times that we don’t have any great concern with the well being of Phillips but wish him well and he will be alright. His coaching abilities are well respected around the country. We’ve picked up on the fact that he is still recruiting in the state of Kentucky and some fans are irritated about that. The answer to that is given his Kentucky roots his boss would not be pleased if they found he wasn’t recruiting the state of Kentucky. I supposed with use of twitter it makes it hard to forget Joker Phillips.

Coaching Transition

Observing what’s occurring in Stoops transition one can see the coach-in-waiting at Kentucky was more than an effort for Phillips. He went from being just Joker to Head Coach Joker. This meant he had to go from being the good cop Joker to the bad cop Joker. And when you looked at the number of suspensions Joker doled out there was a level of resistance and push-back from some of the players. I actually witnessed a pocket of players mocking Phillips. Granted, most of these were players that weren’t playing led by Mark Crawford who was in the dog house at the time. Rich Brooks had a similar situation with Dusty Williams and Chad Anderson. Players are the best recruiters for the program and if the present players aren’t buying in the recruiting suffers.

It Just Didn’t Work

In short the Joker Phillips experiment just didn’t work and continuous sniping at Joker I find to be unnecessary. He’s moved on and likewise we need to do the same thing. Let’s enjoy the amazing exploits of Mark Stoops and his wonderful staff.
      Lonnie it's hard to move on when you get screwed by what you call one of our own. Lot he could have done, but didn't for whatever reasons. Just Glad he's gone, Hope & Pray Pres C can find a way to send Barnhart right behind him. Then our AD can fully get re-started again, but until then we're still stuck with another SLACKER!!!!
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by citizenbbn View Post
      cant argue that point one bit. If uk fans had dutifully shown up this past year at games and not voted with their feet and dollars joker would probably still be here.

Mitch forced this showdown with uk football fans, i cant blame anyone for being mad it was handled that way and uk fans were once again told by their ad to shut up, quit complaining, and sent in their season ticket money.

This last year to me was like currys last year and cm telling fsns to go root for another team. It forestalled rebuilding by a year, the effects of another bad recruiting year will be felt even longer, and it cost the program many millions of dollars.

Still im as mad at uk, mitch, todd and the board of trustees as much as i am joker for the wasted third year. They all had a hand in it.
      well said citizen, amen!!!!
      anderwt -
      Hahahahaha
      catmanjack -
      Stated in the first year joker was in trouble and stuck by that until the end.
      Really is ashame that the AD continues to put UK trough some bad seasons.
      First Basketball then football now baseball.
      How many times is it going to take him to get it and cut bait sooner because in the end
      the coaches had to be let go.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      Truth and the bar was set high (or is that low) by several.
      In going to other Cat sites, which I mostly do these days, I've found the excitement about the Blue-White game attendance,the fantastic early recruiting success by Stoops & Co., etc. to be most refreshing. Hadn't even thought aiIbout Joker lately until I get here to find the quibbling about him still going on. Good grief! Reckon I need to get back to the others.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      I'm not upset that he's recruiting the state of KY. What upsets me is the piss poor job he did recruiting the state of KY, especially Louisville, while he was at KENTUCKY!
      blueboss -
      Yep, this ones on MB for even considering CJP for a head coaching position, of course CJP is going to take the opportunity MB laid at his feet. CRB too should have known better and not played that whole "coach in waiting" game. The stat guys on here would probably know, but with the exception of Rupp/Hall (basketball/football apples/oranges) how often does "coach in waiting" actually ever pay off?
      MickintheHam -
      Lonnie, YOU are stuck in the Joker era. I am trying HARD to forget. The only time I think about Joker is when someone brings up our AD. I'll be very well satisfied when his era is also in the rear view mirror. I never blamed Joker for taking the job he was offered. Any of us would do it. Joker didn't hire Joker!!!
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      Yep, this ones on MB for even considering CJP for a head coaching position, of course CJP is going to take the opportunity MB laid at his feet. CRB too should have known better and not played that whole "coach in waiting" game. The stat guys on here would probably know, but with the exception of Rupp/Hall (basketball/football apples/oranges) how often does "coach in waiting" actually ever pay off?
      Rich Brooks undid all the good he did in his time here when he pushed Joker for HCIW. Mitch went along with it, which speaks volumes about Mitch, but it was Rich, the guy who worked with Joker ever day for years who failed to recognize the shortcomings of his assistant coach. I contend that Joker didn't have what it takes to be a successful head coach even at the high school level. I don't blame Joker because I'm sure he tried his level best - I blame Rich Brooks and to a lesser extent Mitch Barnhart.
      anderwt -
      I wanted to wait a few hours to post so I wouldn't overreact too much. Lonny your post is a joke(r)....I say this cause if anything, fans and guys on here are even more PISSED at Joker right now. Look at the success a head coach and staff can do at SEC school coming off a 2-10 season and never even playing a game yet. All we heard was excuse after excuse on why he couldn't be successful. Here you get a guy who had no fear, wanted the job and after today, may have UK has high as #3 in the country for 2014 recruiting on some sites.

Now I have been holding my judgment on Stoops till he gets his players on the field. Will they hold that top 5 spot? no. The 5 star kids will be making their decisions soon and that will boost the bama's of the world above us. However I guarantee you, if he can hold onto just 90% of this class he will have us in the top 15, something joker never could sniff. In fact we were told that joker's keen eye along with the staff's instincts for judging talent, they could always locate that underneath radar recruit that only the MAC schools were offering...

I know Stoops is going to struggle this year. However Our record will be bad because Joker left him very little talent. So please, don't come on here, just after a few months of having to fire Joker, that we should move on. Hell I am still pissed about the last couple of years of the Tubby and Billy G eras. I know he is a friend of yours, but Lonny, he did a disservice to this program that was going in the right direction when he took over. Our teams were not prepared, had no discipline, and no offense our current roster, but most did not need to be playing in the SEC. Its going to take some time for the Joker bashing to go away. In fact it may never.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      I have no hard feelings for Joker and do believe some need to let it go. What I think we see happening is that Stoops is doing so well it automatically brings about the comparison of how badly Joker did. For me that extends to Brooks, Morris, and Curry who all told us you couldn't recruit good enough at UK to win the SEC. Every 4 star we get a commitment from for the next year or do will inevitably bring up talk of Joker. Let us win a few unexpected games and that will spawn it too. I think it is too soon to expect fans to completely stop talking about how bad the Joker era was. I do wish people would keep it respectable.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post