Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Marrow "ain't no Johnny Come Lately" to coaching

If there’s one thing Vince Marrow wants to make sure that Kentucky fans know about him it is this — he’s not an inexperienced coach.

“My agent was reading something about Vince Marrow just being some GA (graduate assistant) from Nebraska with no experience,” said the new UK tight ends coach. “They didn’t even know I was a full-time coach there or had coached at Toledo. I am probably the second or third most experienced coach on the staff. It’s just that my experience has been in pro ball. But that counts.

“I have been coaching a long time. I ain’t no Johnny come lately. People say I am a great recruiter, but I am probably a better coach. I love to coach. That is why I coached pro ball. I just wanted to develop guys and not have to recruit. Every guy I coached in NFL Europe went back (to the NFL) and played.

“I will work hard and do what it takes to get this right at Kentucky. We have great fans. They have already shown what they can bring and now we’ve got to bring it and appreciate them.”

Marrow noted how he has “been around” Alabama coach Nick Saban and that his son played at Alabama.

“I know this may sound crazy, but I truly think with how close we are to Ohio and all those great players that we can do great things at Kentucky. I think this is going to be a real good place. I know the head man (Mark Stoops) feels the same way,” Marrow said. “I know how football is in Kentucky and Ohio. If we do it right and recruit right, we can get this thing rolling.”

Marrow expects UK’s tight ends to play a major role in Neal Brown’s offense this season, something the tight ends have not done in recent years.

“Our tight ends have a pretty good impact in the spring. A lot depends on the development of (junior college transfer) Steve Borden. We’ve got Anthony Kendrick eligible. We have Tyler Robinson. We have Jordan Aumiller. I feel really good about them all,” Marrow said. “We saw glimpses in the spring of how productive they can be.

“Tyler Robinson came out of nowhere in the spring. He was known as a blocker, but he caught a lot of balls. We can do a lot of things with Neal’s offense with the tight ends. The sky truly is the limit. We’ve got work to do. Nothing against last year, but the standard has got to be a higher standard. I know Neal’s standard is high and we’ve got to compete to reach that and I think we can.”

He has a special incentive to succeed, too, since his niece lives in Lexington and works at the university hospital. Her father — and his brother — lives in Columbus and coaches high school football.

“Before I could tell my family I was taking the Kentucky job, my niece called my brother and told him I was taking it,” Marrow said. “I accepted the job, but forgot to tell my family. But it’s great having my niece here. I had not seen her in several years. It’s just a blessing the way this all turned out and I want to make sure she’s really proud of having her uncle coaching at Kentucky.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      jazyd -
      I love getting a foothold in Ohio. With the demise of the BE, Cincy will have a harder time recruiting good players and I would guess it is harder for Penn State right now in Ohio also. So this is a great time to get in with those schools and HC's in that state, as long as this staff treats the kids right, starts winning and gets excitement going, lots of kids want to play in the SEC
      dan_bgblue -
      “Tyler Robinson came out of nowhere in the spring. He was known as a blocker, but he caught a lot of balls.
      He was known as a blocker because the previous staff used him that way. The TE in the Sanders/Phillips offense was just another down lineman they occasionally used to run a pass pattern.

btw, thanks for all the info on Coach Marrow
      jazyd -
      dan, not sure Joker knew what a TE was, or any other player on offense for that matter. Any receiver that could run 5 yards past the sticks might as well been in never never land.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      He was known as a blocker because the previous staff used him that way. The TE in the Sanders/Phillips offense was just another down lineman they occasionally used to run a pass pattern.

btw, thanks for all the info on Coach Marrow
      Terry Blue -
      Tyler has lost considerable weight giving him more mobility helping him as a pass catcher. He's always had good hands
  • KSR Twitter Feed