Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Marrow a Neal Brown fan

Neal Brown

Even though he did not know offensive coordinator Neal Brown personally, Kentucky tight ends coach Vince Marrow already knew about Brown before either one was hired by UK coach Mark Stoops.

Stoops had called Marrow, a childhood friend who was coaching at Nebraska, almost as soon as he got the head job at UK about working for him.

“But he told me he had to hire a coordinator and he wanted it to be the right fit for both of us,” said Marrow. “I heard of Neal when he was at Troy. I remember they almost upset Ohio State and, of course, I knew what he did with that offense at Texas Tech when he got there.”

For Marrow, a chance to work under Brown was a blessing

“He is an up and coming coach, the kind of guy you want to be around,” Marrow said. “He will be a head coach. He’s a sharp guy. I did my research on him, but I already knew how good he was. My buddies all told me he was a good young man, too.

“We were high tempo on offense at Nebraska, but his tempo is a whole different kind of fast. I am excited to be working with him. Once we talked — he had chances to be a head coach and we had to see how that went — and I am just glad it all worked out great. He’s fun to work with and is really good at what he does.”

Marrow thought Brown “talked real well” the first time they spoke.

“I actually thought he was a little older the way he talked,” Marrow said. “When I met him, he was kind of quiet but we quickly got used to each other. I was like, ‘Wow. This guy will soon be a head coach.’ I have been around a lot of coaches. He is the right type to know what buttons to push with players. I said to myself, ‘This guy can be good.’ You can see he’s going to be a head coach, and I don’t mean long down the line. I mean soon.

“I’ve been in the west coast offense. I have been in the no-huddle offense. I’ve been in the option offense. With him, his offense is where football is going. I think that is where the NFL is going in the next five to 10 years. They are going to want high tempo with a run offense with it. He has that.

“It has really been a pleasure listening to how he does his offense and how he teaches. I have been around a bunch of coaches, but he’s got to be one of the smartest dudes I’ve been around. He’s not a young dude, but he’s a young coach and he’s going to be doing this for a long, long time.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Hope we can keep Neal for a few years

He will be at the top of candidate lists for other schools every year going forward
      LakeCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      Hope we can keep Neal for a few years

He will be at the top of candidate lists for other schools every year going forward
      My exact sentiments the second I read LV's excellent article. In a idea world, 3-4 years from now when Stoops has us rolling, he might move up the food chain and Neal could slide into the top spot at UK. I know he would have no head coach experience but neither had Stoops if it works out like I hope.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      My exact sentiments the second I read LV's excellent article. In a idea world, 3-4 years from now when Stoops has us rolling, he might move up the food chain and Neal could slide into the top spot at UK. I know he would have no head coach experience but neither had Stoops if it works out like I hope.
      We're going to need an AD who can deal with these issues effectively.
      Terry Blue -
      I think Neal will be gone before Stoops. Mark personally sought out this job and is in good proximity to his home state. No reason, we can't be a destination job for him, especially with the SEC money we'll be getting. Neal, on the other hand, if our offense performs like it should and he wants to be a head coach, there's no way to keep him if he gets a head job he wants, but the may be very picky, kinda like Kirby Smart at Bama
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post