Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with NBAdraftblog.com analyst on UK's McDonald's all-Americans

NBADraftblog.com’s Ed Isaacson correctly predicted that two of Kentucky’s freshmen (Archie Goodwin and Nerlens Noel) would put their name into the NBA draft and two (Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress) would return to UK for their sophomore seasons.

Now he’s had a chance to watch Kentucky coach John Calipari’s next No. 1 recruiting class that includes six McDonald’s All-Americans and he offers his insights on those players and their futures.

Question: Could you just give me your impressions of each future Wildcat?
    Isaacson: “Julius Randle: Skilled with good size, he can create matchup problems in different spots on the court.
    “Andrew Harrison: Love the size at the point guard position, let's him see the court and options easily. Has shown comfort in both the halfcourt and transition, but he needs to make better decisions with the ball at the college level.
    “Aaron Harrison: Though Andrew is known as the point guard and Aaron as the shooter, their games are very similar. Aaron has the ability to hit the open jumper, but has shown that he can create off the dribble and sees the floor well.
    “James Young: Needs to get stronger, but likes to attack the basket and he is very good finishing around the basket.
    “Dakari Johnson: A physical post player, he uses his body well to create space and looks to finish strong around the basket. Footwork still needs to improve, as well as understanding how to defend in the post.
    “Marcus Lee: Athletic and raw. Needs to get stronger, but his leaping ability makes him a threat around the rim on both offense and defense.”

Question: Is it too early to for folks to be talking about Andrew Harrison and Julius Randle both being potential top 10 picks in 2014?
    Isaacson: “Is it too early, absolutely, but that won't stop it from happening. If both make the same progression their freshman year that they did during their high school years, it is a legitimate possibility.

Question: Are all six of these guys future NBA players?
    Isaacson: “I will say all six have potential to be future NBA players, but if there is anything we have learned by now, is that you can't tell how things will play out once they get to college.”

Question: Which of Calipari's newest players has the most work to do before he can reach the next level and which one perhaps has the most untapped potential?
    Isaacson: “Marcus Lee has the most work to do, but you can see by the raw ability and athleticism why many are high on him. As for untapped potential, Lee is there, as well Dakari Johnson. Johnson has a lot of the physical tools you want, but he relies on the physical way too much right now. He has to put a lot of work into the skill part of his game.”

Question: Can all six of these guys thrive on the same team?
    Isaacson: “I don't know if all six will ‘thrive,’ but in the best case scenario they all get better. The reality is there won't be enough minutes for every one of the freshman to get exactly what they need to get better, but there will be enough for all to take some steps in the right direction.

Question: How good is Andrew Wiggins and could you see him fitting in well with the six UK commits if he decides to also sign with Kentucky?
    Isaacson: “Wiggins is a very good player who still has plenty of room to keep getting better. I think Wiggins has the demeanor and attitude that he can fit in easily with whatever group of players surround him. If he heads to Kentucky, I would actually see him having few problems. He is versatile and can find ways to make an impact from a variety of spots on the floor.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Question: Are all six of these guys future NBA players?
      Isaacson: “I will say all six have potential to be future NBA players, but if there is anything we have learned by now, is that you can't tell how things will play out once they get to college.”
      Wise man
  • KSR Twitter Feed