Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Barker sticking with early May decision

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He’s still trying to “soak in the once in a lifetime experience” of being a national recruit, but Conner quarterback Drew Barker said Sunday he still plans to stick with his original timeline to make a college choice in the next few weeks.

He’s visited Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee this spring and likely will not take any other visits before probably deciding which of those three schools is right for him.

“I would like to get this over probably in early May,” said Barker. “I just have to sit down with my parents and see which school feels 100 percent right to me and them.”

He says his plan is not to choose a school based solely on the coaches.

“If you go solely on the coach and then he leaves, you are stuck,” Barker said.

Both Kentucky (Mark Stoops) and Tennessee (Butch Jones) have new coaches. Just a few months ago Jones was recruiting Barker for Cincinnati before he got the Tennessee job after the 2012 season ended.

“I am looking at the people around the school. You just kind of have a feel for if you like it or not. Some places immediately turn you off and some you really, really like. It’s kind of hard to explain, which is what makes it such a tough decision,” Barker said.

He’s getting plenty of help. Obviously, Kentucky has a lot of fans in his area that know him and his parents. However, Ohio high school juniors are also doing their best to sway him. Three who have committed to UK — receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass, running back Mikel Horton and linebacker Dorian Hendrix — have been in touch through social media. So has tight end Darryl Long, who could commit this week, and a few others who seem to be UK leans.

“They text and tweet me,” Barker said. “Kentucky has taken over Ohio.”

Barker admits he could “bounce back and forth” before making a “tough decision.” However, UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown, who has made Baker UK’s No. 1 quarterback priority in the 2014 class, told him his decision would not be that difficult. Instead, the difficult part would be telling schools no that were not his final choice.

“He said I would just eventually have to tell others that I am not coming once I know where I am going,” Barker said.
    While another school might find a way to make a push, Barker admitted he’s primarily evaluating only Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee.

He was impressed with UK’s spring game crowd of over 50,000 that ranked sixth best nationally in total attendance. That’s a record ranking and attendance for Kentucky is the first official outing of the Stoops era.

Barker didn’t go to any UK home games in 2012 mainly because he was not being recruited by the Cats — something Stoops and Brown changed immediately. He did go to some games in 2011 and knew what an impressive turnout the spring game had.

“Kentucky has a great fan base. The crowd was awesome,” he said. “There were a lot of other recruits there, too, and they were all talking about the crowd and fan base. The fans tweeted at them and were saying their names. They all liked that. It was pretty cool to see that. Every school in the SEC is crazy on game day and to see that kind of atmosphere for the spring game at Kentucky was something players really enjoyed.”

One thing Barker has enjoyed — even if it has been a bit overwhelming — is being compared to former UK quarterback Tim Couch, who was the No. 1 pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

“That is pretty crazy. He is a legend here in Kentucky. It’s a blessing just to be compared to him. I met him a couple of weeks ago for the first time. He’s a great guy,” Barker said.
    Couch turned down numerous out of state offers to play for UK and helped lead coach Hal Mumme’s team to the Outback Bowl, UK’s best postseason berth in the last 60 years.

Kentucky is using the same sales pitch with Barker.

“They want me to come in and be the hometown hero. They really think I can stay home and help turn the program around kind of like Couch did,” Barker said.

The Conner quarterback says even though life has “been a lot more hectic” with calls from coaches and media members, he’s not let it take away from his focus on his team.

“It’s not hard to concentrate. I got up at 5:30 (during basketball season) and went in and lifted (weights) and threw routes every morning,” Barker said. “This has not affected my football preparation. That’s one reason I want to get this decision out of the way and not let it impact our season at Conner as well as let the school I pick recruit more players to go with me.”
    Comments 13 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      That’s one reason I want to get this decision out of the way and not let it impact our season at Conner as well as let the school I pick recruit more players to go with me.”
      Nice

Larry V. do you have an opinion on his final destination?
      Terry Blue -
      Great interview
      dtalbersjr -
      Just reading the tea leaves, sure looks like it's going to be UK.

USC had a sizeable lead and we weren't even in the game until we got rid of the incompetents previously running our program. By all accounts, this staff has done everything to not only overcome that USC lead, but to actually put us in the driver's seat. Barker's own actions seem to indicate he'll pick UK.
      LakeCat -
      The comment about "if you go to a school solely for the coach" you could get stuck if the coach leaves was telling to me. The only coach with any chance of leaving in next few years is Spurrier so that would seem to eliminate USC which makes me believe he will be a cat.
      dtalbersjr -
      Lake, I thought the same thing. Although there are reports of schools already using negative recruiting and telling kids Stoops will only be here a year or two.
      akaukswoosh -
      Just reading the tea leaves, sure looks like it's going to be

I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't choose UK. Look forward to his announcement.
      akaukswoosh -
      Although there are reports of schools already using negative recruiting and telling kids Stoops will only be here a year or two.

Well, if Barker comes aboard and some top WRs follow him it might be 3 or 4. LoL
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      Although there are reports of schools already using negative recruiting and telling kids Stoops will only be here a year or two.

Well, if Barker comes aboard and some top WRs follow him it might be 3 or 4. LoL
      Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz, and brother Bob all say hi.
      Terry Blue -
      If he turns us into an SEC power, it will be no reason to leave
      LarryVaught1 -
      I still say Kentucky
      dan_bgblue -
      Thank you sir.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post

“They text and tweet me,” Barker said. “Kentucky has taken over Ohio.”
      Love that quote.
      jazyd -
      Wonder how some here who thought Joker was such a good recruiter feel? Didnt even recruit this kid is so telling but so is everything we have been reading since he left and thank goodness he is gone.
  • KSR Twitter Feed