Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• TE Target Darryl Long has "lot of interest" in Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He has 17 scholarship offers and is ranked among the nation’s top 30 tight ends by several national recruiting services, but Westerville (Ohio) South High School standout Darryl Long insists he has a “lot of interest” in Kentucky as he prepares to make his college choice Saturday.

His list of offers includes Louisville, Missouri, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Indiana, Boston College, Purdue and Duke.

“I am still looking at all my options, but I like Kentucky,” said the 6-5, 217-pound Long.

He came to UK’s Blue-White Game April 13 and left impressed with the 50,000 plus fans who attended the event.

“I thought it was amazing for team to go 2-10 and have that kind of crowd,” Long said. “But that staff came in and in about a month changed the recruiting stature of UK football last year. They did a lot of work in a small time frame. Now for all the fans to be so excited about the upcoming season is a big testament to the program. That’s awesome.”

Long will announce his college choice Saturday morning at the Superior Sports Camp. His final list seems to be Purdue, Louisville, Indiana and Kentucky.

“It is early but I wanted get my focus on my senior year and workouts right. This is a long process and I know where I wanted to do, so I just decided to make my decision,” Long said. “I also thought this was a way to make the camp special for younger guys and the people doing the camp.”

He has talked with three UK commits from Ohio — linebacker Dorian Hendrix, receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass and running back Mikel Horton — quite a bit about Kentucky.

“I do have a lot of interest in Kentucky,” Long said.

He likes the UK offense coordinated by Neal Brown because it is similar to the offense his high school uses.

“They spread out and I might play inside or outside. It’s a pass-heavy offense,” Long said. “I did know about him already from Texas Tech and the way they passed. I am excited by that offense.

“I think I am a versatile tight end. I can do pretty much everything, which is what that offense needs. I can block, but I am also fast and can catch the ball. I had a wide range of talent to work on. I am pretty physical. I try to use my God-given size. There are a lot of things I can bring to the table using my body and skills.”

He’s picking his school mainly “based on who will be coaching me” because of the time he’ll spend with that coach over the next four to five years. He also plans to major in sports management, a major UK offers. Connections to other recruits will be a factor, too.

“People I have been friends with or people I have relationships with will be big. I feel trust is a big thing when it comes to making your college commitment,” Long said. “If you already know friends and players, that is where you will be more comfortable.

“I think coach Stoops has already put Kentucky on the map. I knew a little bit about Kentucky before. We hit a lot places during camp season my sophomore year. I was hearing from Kentucky when Joker (Phillips) got fired, then coach (Vince) Marrow came in and started hitting Ohio hard. He got Thaddeus, Dorian, Mikel — and he’s an awesome running back. Stoops is really putting UK on the map.”

Long admitted he could also see Brown recruiting players he “can fit into his system” in future years.

“I could be big piece in what he does,” Long said. “Coach Marrow says I fit the scheme perfect. They want a versatile guy who can move the ball. Thaddeus can spread the field and Mikel is really good. You are going to have a fast defense and great competitor in Dorian and then Kentucky is going to get another linebacker and safety soon. They are really recruiting well for what they are trying to do.”

Marrow, UK’s tight end coach, is a big part of that recruiting push.

“He makes you feel like you are going to be part of his family. I can put my trust in him for four years,” Long said. “He will make me not just better athlete but a better person. He will make sure I go to class, which I always would, and make sure I graduate with my degree. He will make sure I become the best person I can be. Being from Ohio, and so is Stoops, they both know how it is go grow up here.

“Coach Marrow relates well to players like me. He played tight end and went to the NFL and coached. He is aware of where I am trying to be and that could make a big impact on what decision I make. You are going to spend a lot of time of with the tight end coach and he’s someone that would be easy to spend time with.”
    Comments 6 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      Fingers crossed.
      dan_bgblue -
      Really god job on that interview. If the SEC means anything to him, it will be UK. He sure does think highly of the UK staff and the Cat fans. Did I miss his comments about facilities and recruiting room?
      truecatsfan -
      My money is on UK.
      Terry Blue -
      Looking as strong to me as Mikel did last week. What sets LV apart from other journalists are his in depth interviews like this one
      LarryVaught1 -
      would say he is as close to a lock as there is in recruiting
      dtalbersjr -
      Very excited to get a top TE. Guys like Whalen sure played a huge role the first time around in this offense.
  • KSR Twitter Feed