Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Bullitt East coach says Hawkins a steal for Cats

Bullitt East coach Troy Barr didn’t have to spend three days coaching Madison Central’s Dominique Hawkins in the Derby Classic to know what type of talent he has.

“I think he is really good. We played them twice last season and played them in the summer. I saw him three times in seven months. I knew how good he was. We scouted him at the Marshall County Hoop Fest. I saw what he did against the Harrison twins and the big numbers he put up. He can play.”

Barr believes both Hawkins and Bullitt East product Derek Willis are “real steals” for Kentucky to go along with six McDonald’s All-Americans.

“I don’t think fans understand how good they will both be next year,” said Willis. “I think both players can help Kentucky next year. Calipari compared Hawkins to Eric Bledsoe. He is athletic and a shooter. He can get high on a jump shot and get it off over bigger kids. He can get to the rim and finish. He will really surprise you with how fast he gets off the floor. And he has really long arms to create a lot of havoc on defense. He’s good.”

Hawkins was 2-for-5 from the field in Friday’s all-star game and finished with four points, one rebound, two steals and one assist in 16 minutes.

“The Kentucky fans always support you, and I loved it,” Hawkins said. “They came to support me and Derek (Willis), and he is a special guy. He can dribble the ball for a big guy and shoot the ball. It was fun. I enjoyed it all.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Padukacat -
      I love having a few ky kids on the roster
  • KSR Twitter Feed