Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with QB Drew Barker

If the recruiting pressure is bothering Conner quarterback Drew Barker, it doesn’t show. If anything, this has been what he’s wanted for years.

He’s not only Kentucky’s top-ranked recruit, but he’s regarded as one of the nation’s best prep quarterbacks. He’s being heavily courted by South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, a quarterback guru, along with Tennessee coach Butch Jones, who offered Barker a scholarship when he was still the coach at Cincinnati.

Kentucky? Well, he’s simply the No. 1 target for UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown.

“I kind of always wanted it to be like this with all this recruiting. That’s why I was trying to get my name out like I was a few years ago when nobody knew me,” said Barker. “Sometimes it gets tiring. Not the schools or coaches, but every time you visit a bunch of people are calling you to ask about it. That is probably one thing that there is a little too much of and I would like a break from that. But I’ve just tried to embrace it all. It’s always been a dream and goal to be in this position.”

He was at UK’s practice Monday and was back again today. He’s staying tonight and again Saturday night not only to see the Blue-White Game, but to evaluate other parts of the UK program just as he did on two-night unofficial visits to South Carolina and Tennessee.

“I want to make sure I give everybody a fair shot,” Barker said. “I will probably make my college choice the first part of May. I am about 95 percent sure that is when it will be.”

That’s why this weekend is so important for Kentucky. Sure, Brown is evaluating quarterbacks now to pick UK’s starter for next season, but this could the weekend that convinces Barker to become a Wildcat.

“I am really looking for a home away from home,” Barker said. “I just want to make sure which school is the best fit academically, socially and athletically. After I visit UK this weekend, I will have a huge gauge on where I kind of want to go. Then I will sit down with my parents and go over the pros and cons of each school.”

The pros at South Carolina start with a “great relationship” with Spurrier and his staff. “But I like everything about it. I like how it feels. It feels very comfortable and could be my home for four or five years. The players make it feel like a family environment. It’s not all about just the fit with the coaches,” he said.

South Carolina has also been winning — something UK and Tennessee have not been doing.

“I would not say that would make or break my decision, but it is good to know if I decide to go there I would be joining a program that won 11 games the past three years and is right there competing for a SEC championship,” Barker said.

Barker visited Tennessee last summer before a coaching change was made after the year ended. When he returned after Jones took over, he “liked it more than I expected” and felt it was a place he could enjoy.

At UK this weekend, he’ll be looking at “how the players interact with each other” during his overnight stays.

“I want to see if there are little cliques or groups and how they all get along,” Barker said. “I also want to see the new staff in a game atmosphere. I have been to the other schools’ games and scrimmages. I want to see how that is like or different from Kentucky. I really can’t describe the feeling I am looking for, but if I get the feeling that is the place I want to go, then that is the place.”

Kentucky did its best last month to give him that feeling when he got 115 pieces of individual mail from the coaching staff in one day.

“It was pretty cool. My dad and I sat down and opened them all. There were about four letters from each coach, all hand written. They were all different and it was cool just to sit and read them,” he said. “When I first opened the mailbox — I get a lot of mail each day — it was stuffed. I was like, ‘Wow. I wonder how many there are.’ I laid them all out on the table and counted 115. A lot of people thought all the letters were the same, but they were all different and unique. I saved them all, along with all my other letters.”

He’s also noticed the fan enthusiasm for Kentucky football, something he admits has impressed him.

“It is defintely cool seeing UK actually getting talked about for football instead of just basketball,” Barker said. “They are getting love and should be getting it. I don’t think UK is just a basketball school and the new coaches have come in here and really created a buzz that is impressive.”
    Comments 12 Comments
      jazyd -
      Who does he hold offers from
      dan_bgblue -
      Huge weekend for UK in the Barker Derby. He has offers from; Cincy, Illinois, UL, Miami (fl), Ole Miss, UNC-CH**, Purdue, USC lite, UT, Vandy, WKU
      jazyd -
      Thanks Dan, not the schools I was hoping to see. Doubt Ole Miss gets a look as they have 2 coming this fall pls their starter will be a junior. Can't remember QB situation at USC lite. Unc coach likes fast pace spread offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Huge weekend for UK in the Barker Derby. He has offers from; Cincy, Illinois, UL, Miami (fl), Ole Miss, UNC-CH**, Purdue, USC lite, UT, Vandy, WKU
      er q
      Terry Blue -
      It boils down to us and the Ole Ball Coach. Remember Snodgrass had SC as one of his finalists also
      dtalbersjr -
      UNC's not a factor in this race, but they just got a commit from a top 100 QB yesterday.

All the signs seem to indicate Barker will pick us. No matter what he says about the decision, cancelling his visit to USC for their spring game to come to ours speaks volumes.
      Terry Blue -
      I think so too, plus I heard he showed his happiness along with the players today when he heard that Snod went Blue!
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      It boils down to us and the Ole Ball Coach. Remember Snodgrass had SC as one of his finalists also
      His comments seem to be most favorable toward USC. Let's face it, a QB couldn't ask for a better coach to prepare him for the NFL (if he's that good). I'd love to have him join our Cats, but couldn't criticize him for choosing Carolina.
      Terry Blue -
      Will disappoint a lot of us if he doesn't go Blue. Read his parents were tailgating in UK gear, think it would probably disappoint them also
      dtalbersjr -
      At this point, I'll be absolutely stunned if he goes anywhere but UK.
      catmanjack -
      Who has Spurrier developed as an NFL QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      His comments seem to be most favorable toward USC. Let's face it, a QB couldn't ask for a better coach to prepare him for the NFL (if he's that good). I'd love to have him join our Cats, but couldn't criticize him for choosing Carolina.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Who has Spurrier developed as an NFL QB?
      Since he has been at USC lite?
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by From the article View Post
      Spurrier's inability to lure a big-name high school quarterback to Columbia has baffled even him.
      It doesn't baffle me. All he has to do is look up at that list of his QB "successes" from UF that played in the NFL. All of them sucked to varying degrees as pros -- and it was very visibile suckage because of the notoriety they gained at UF. When Rex Grossman is the crown jewel of your fleet, it's not exactly a selling point to elite HS QB talent.
  • KSR Twitter Feed