Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• McDonald's tidbits

1. Kentucky fans are going to love Marcus Lee. Very engaging.

2. Aaron Gordon is better than I thought. See why Cal stayed after him.

3. Dakari Johnson is huge, and can still really run. Physical even in practice.

4. Randle also big and physical. More explosive than I realized.

5. One NBA scout told me of the incoming Cats, he thinks Lee could be the best player of them all in six years.

6. Chris Walker, who is going to Florida, is a PLAYER. Has lot of skills.

7. Harrison twins are intense even in interviews. UK fans are going to love their toughness, no-nonsense approach.

8. Young still battling hip injury he got from Gordon elbow. Friendly kid, but limited in practice. Hope he is okay for the game. But he can flat shoot.

9. NBA scout says Dakari is huge pickup for UK because he's likely a 3-year player who will just explode in years two and three.

10. EVery UK player here keeps talking only about winning and team. none of the I stuff we heard this year.

11. Apparently Calipari has been very blunt with recruits telling them to strap it on because next year is going to be physical. Randle even suggested that fights in practice are likely.

12. Met Marcus Lee's mother. Charming, charming lady

13. Wiggins handling all the attention, questions great. Nothing shakes him. UK players not pushing him, but talking to him plenty
    Comments 20 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      Young still battling hip injury he got from Gordon elbow. Friendly kid, but limited in practice. Hope he is okay for the game. But he can flat shoot.

Hope he's okay for the game.
      CitizenBBN -
      Great stuff Larry.

Nice to hear about Young's shooting. Wouldn't call it a "weakness", but would still call it a question mark for this team.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks much Larry.....we have anxiously been awaiting your reports
      jazyd -
      Thanks LV, glad you are in on hte parents already.
      dan_bgblue -
      #2. Glad to see you coming around.

He is better at some things on the court than either Wiggins or Randle, but they are better at things where he is not great. I belive he will make some team a great player
      dan_bgblue -
      Well I finally read that he is going to Zona. They got a good one
      ukpumacat -
      Gordon is a heck of a player. This class is so loaded. Scouts saying Dakari will be an NBA player in 2-3 years is what they have said about plenty of Cal's One and Doners.
      KSRBEvans -
      U of L is proving you can dominate without being a good perimeter-shooting team. They shot 2-13 from 3 vs. Duke and buried them. The key is to shoot 13 3s and not 32 3s. It requires a lot of discipline that a young team often lacks (and frankly, I'm surprised even a veteran team like U of L's been able to do it so far).
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      U of L is proving you can dominate without being a good perimeter-shooting team. They shot 2-13 from 3 vs. Duke and buried them. The key is to shoot 13 3s and not 32 3s. It requires a lot of discipline that a young team often lacks (and frankly, I'm surprised even a veteran team like U of L's been able to do it so far).
      UK's 2012 title team was prone to shooting few threes, and getting most of their points in the paint. Not a lot of teams that live by the three win titles, they tend to die by the three over the six game haul during the tourney.
      catmanjack -
      I am telling you everything UL is doing Rick got from Cal's 2012 team
      Great D
      Points in the Paint
      Dribble drive
      Rick is a hack but will be called a great coach.
      bigsky -
      How are The Cheerleaders ?
      millsforthree -
      Smith has evolved from jacking up every shot that came his way, and the smaller UL guards were much quicker than the dukies which let them get the penetration. I think Michigan will give them all they want if both make it that far
      Darrell KSR -
      Great stuff, Larry.

Love #10.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      uklandrn -
      One of the things I look the most forward to with next season's team is the fact they are gonna be able to play physically and not completely fall apart. Even 2012 - those guys really did not like to get bumped. Especially at the beginning of the season - they backed away from physical contact. A group of guys who want to bang and bump in the paint is a welcome addition. It is truly going to be a special season!!
      Doc -
      McDonald's Tidbits aka Chicken McNuggetts

Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      1. Kentucky fans are going to love Marcus Lee. Very engaging. He seems very much that way. I've come to like him more and more. Has huge upside. I see him very Marcus Camby like. Seems to be coming out of HS just scratching the surface. IIRC, Camby was around top 50 and blossomed in college early. I can see Lee doing the same.

2. Aaron Gordon is better than I thought. See why Cal stayed after him. IMO Randle is more skilled and it always was either / or in my book. I had noted my preference was Gordon because he seems to be more comfortable inside and loves to dunk. Randle has better ball skills though. I think Julius has more up side though.

3. Dakari Johnson is huge, and can still really run. Physical even in practice. Big and strong, who plays bigger than he is due to the long arms. Also doesn't shy from contact and plays the "true post". He needs to work on his footwork but it has improved dramatically over the last few years. However biggest difference is his body conditioning.

4. Randle also big and physical. More explosive than I realized. He is a big boy. IMO where he a year older, he would have been ranked #1 in last years class by a long shot.

5. One NBA scout told me of the incoming Cats, he thinks Lee could be the best player of them all in six years. Maybe. He needs a bit more bulk since we are talking NBA. I still think Dakari has the best NBA career.

6. Chris Walker, who is going to Florida, is a PLAYER. Has lot of skills. Correct. He is crazy good, and he wanted UK to recruit him harder. Not sure the behind the scenes or if Cal just preferred other players.

7. Harrison twins are intense even in interviews. UK fans are going to love their toughness, no-nonsense approach. Will be the biggest thing they bring compared to last year. I've been saying for some time that the attitude change will be huge. IMO its more important than the skills. My only concern is they tend to be a bit too far, where it ends up costing a team ie technical fouls, but I'd prefer that to a team that could not care less.

8. Young still battling hip injury he got from Gordon elbow. Friendly kid, but limited in practice. Hope he is okay for the game. But he can flat shoot. I think he is being a bit overshadowed at this time but won't in the long run.

9. NBA scout says Dakari is huge pickup for UK because he's likely a 3-year player who will just explode in years two and three. I think it happens before 3 yrs but time will tell.

10. EVery UK player here keeps talking only about winning and team. none of the I stuff we heard this year. #Welcome news!

11. Apparently Calipari has been very blunt with recruits telling them to strap it on because next year is going to be physical. Randle even suggested that fights in practice are likely. Good, too much appeasement required last year. Team had no depth so not many options. Won't be a problem this year.

12. Met Marcus Lee's mother. Charming, charming lady

13. Wiggins handling all the attention, questions great. Nothing shakes him. UK players not pushing him, but talking to him plenty Glad they are not pushing him. Let him make his choice just as they did.
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      Smith has evolved from jacking up every shot that came his way, and the smaller UL guards were much quicker than the dukies which let them get the penetration. I think Michigan will give them all they want if both make it that far
      Something to consider with Michigan: they like that 1-3-1 zone, like WVU threw at UK in the Elite 8 debacle. If it comes down to U of L/Michigan, will U of L settle for 3s like UK did?
      daveinmaine -
      Great info from Larry and Doc. Thanks!
      UKHistory -
      Pitino's strength is scouting. I am sure Rick will dust off his copy of the 2005 regional final versus West Virginia when Beilein was there.

Something to consider with Michigan: they like that 1-3-1 zone, like WVU threw at UK in the Elite 8 debacle. If it comes down to U of L/Michigan, will U of L settle for 3s like UK did?
      catfan1029 -
      This team should be truly awesome.
      CatQuick -
      Great Stuff Larry! I still hate to think about how out of control the expectations are going to be for this team next year. They will need to be much more mentally tough than maybe any of Cal's initial teams here.
  • KSR Twitter Feed