Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q & A with Big Jack Gruenschlaeger

We first observed Gruenschaeger at the Kentucky State High School championship game in Bowling Green, Kentucky. His team Newport Catholic Central won the championship. The big red-head standing 6-foot-11, 370-pounds at the time, it looked as though his talent level left something to be desired. But you can’t coach 6-foot-11. He is 340-pounds right now “We have to harp on it every day about playing lower,” said offensive line Coach John Schlarman. A guy that height has a hard time when he lets the defender gets under his shoulder pads. “No matter how big you are if a defender gets under your pads your momentum is stopped and you are just a big guy in the hole.” We had a question and answer session with Big Jack as he is affectionately known. Coach Mark Stoops said he’s never a coached a guy that tall.

Q: When did you start you playing football?

A: I started playing football in the third or fourth grade. I hurt my foot and that stopped me from playing basketball. It wasn’t pretty but I kept playing football. I played basketball my sophomore, junior, and senior years. I went up to the Border Bowl hurt my shoulder and was out the rest of the year.

Q: You are in a boot right now, what happened to your foot? Your coach said your big toe that you hurt was as big as his foot.

A: My big toe got stepped on in the scrimmage this Friday but I will be out of the boot on Wednesdays practice. I might lose the toenail but that’s alright.

Q: To be a walk-on on a major Dl school after not having any major offers, this is a tall task for you, no pun intended. Why the challenge?

A: I figured if I was going to put a lot into it and get beat up I might as well try it at the highest level.

Q: have you always been a Cat fan?

A: Oh yes – no doubt.

Q: According to Neal Brown you have made some strides and could be in the rotation this season. How tough has it been?

A: It’s been tough. All you can do is get better every day. Just be better than you were yesterday.

Q: Though some of them were on special teams (punt team), you played in all twelve games last year. Is that correct? Coach Stoops said if you were on the first team of any phase of the game you can call your family and tell them you are a starter in the SEC. How does that make you feel?

A: I feel proud I got on the field every game. I played some snaps from scrimmage in the Kent State, the Samford, and the Florida games.

Q: What is the difference in the two offensive line coaches?

A: Coach Schlarman is, just getting out there and plays football. That’s not to say he doesn’t stress technique because he does. Coach Summers was a perfectionist, which isn’t a bad thing. It’s just how he was.

Q: Last year Matt Smith was talking about that when you and other players were horsing around in the dorm or room that he had to stop you and remind you that you are too big to be playing around so rough. What do you say to that?

A: (Laughs) Yeah I get that sometime. I don’t realize how big I am sometimes.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post