Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Daron Blaylock on Peveto, safety competition, new defense

BY: LARRY VAUGHT

He made a big impression with his play as a true freshman, but now Kentucky sophomore safety Daron Blaylock says he is even better because he is picking up a new system even faster than he anticipated.

“The scheme is great. I am picking it up real fast, so I am better prepared now,” said Blaylock. “I didn’t really understand as much last year as I do now. The more I understand now, the better I play.”

He’s moved to the top of the depth chart at safety where coach Bradley Dale Peveto is taking a look at about 10 players this spring.

“I like competition and everything. I am starting right now, so that is pretty good,” he said. “Coach (Peveto) is cool. He is a funny guy. When it comes to working hard, he is serious and gets us ready and everything.

“He is trying to get us prepared for offenses that want to do no huddle and have us ready and not freaking out and lined up and ready to play. He gets us playing smart and fast.”

Blaylock says there is one major difference between the position he played in 2012 and the one he will this season.

“The difference is there is not as much you need think about when you are trying to play,” Blaylock said. “You key your quarterback and man you need to key instead of looking at three or four different guys. It is a big difference

“The system this year is more where you just go play. It is not too simple. You have to think but it is a big jump from what it was last year. It’s not like high school, but lot better. It helps, too, to go against our offense. It makes you want to think fast and get the tempo down.”

One thing that is different this year is that he is competing with his brother, Zack, at safety.

“We are playing the same position. We have a competition going on. We have always been the opposite side of each other. It is kind of weird actually to be playing the same spot,” Blaylock said. “I am starting right now, but he is good, too. We’ll just have to see how it all works out.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Know there's a ton of basketball excitement right now, but still loving the football news, Larry.
  • KSR Twitter Feed