Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• UK Football Looking Edge With Character Pace and Attitude

By: LONNY DEMAREE

This was the first eye witness day in spring practice for the media. Previously it was stated by members of the staff that they weren’t ready to open practice for the public. They want to put on their best face. When will that be - we don't have a clue. However this would've been a good day because they had their best practice yet, up until the last drill which was the eleven-on-eleven session. Then the defense got after them.

PACE

In many respects it was what we had heard they wanted to do and that was to push the pace. Plays were being fired off like a semi-automatic rifle. Every ten seconds there was a play being run? We kept a running tally of passes being thrown. To the best of my ability I logged approximately 230-passes by five quarterbacks. Picture one drill when all five quarterbacks were lined up shoulder to shoulder each throwing to a receiver all at the same time, each receiver running a different pass-route. They would rotate whereby giving each quarterback a chance to throw a different route. All of this served to have a lot of balls in the air at the same time. This drill maximized the time working on the passing game. This pace is something many teams have not played against, ala the Oregon Ducks. A similarity of this was something UK started last season trying to do but was foiled when Max Smith went down with an injury.
    "As a defense I've seen us get a lot better after six days,” said defensive backs coach Bradley Peveto. “You know we are playing an offense that is very multiple. It’s a tempo that's as fast as anybodies you'll see in the country. We've had to work really hard to get lined up and get the call before the ball's snapped so we are going to be better because of that. As a defense I've seen us get a lot better after six days. I like our effort - I like our attention to detail and we are learning to play the game fast. And you know what else, three things happen when you play a tempo offense, 1) you've got to get the call in a hurry; 2) you've got to get lined up fast; 3) and you've got to learn how to play the game very, very tired and think when you're tired. That's the key to being a good football player; how do I really think when I'm tired? What do I normally do when I'm tired? It's not natural, I generally lie down and go to sleep and you can't do that during a game."

ATTITUDE

All though everything with this team and this staff is a work in progress, attitude has not been an issue. Everyone wants to win and attitude is going to play a big part. Everybody appears to willing take coaching. Coach Bradley Peveto said from his first team meeting he liked their attitude.

CHARACTER

When coach Stoops talks to our team their eyes are looking right at him. That affects winning or losing because it's character. Tells me these guys have been raised right. They come from good homes. That’s part of the battle. This team has a lot of character. We have to learn to play this game at a high level but we don't have to overcome a lot of character issues. That's what I like. When coach Stoops walk’s in they set up and their eyes are right on him. I've been a lot places where you've got to coach that – I’ve had to coach it hard. We'll win a lot of game because of character.
    Defensive backs coach Bradley Peveto coach's the safeties. "I’ve really been happy with the safeties as a whole and a guy I really didn't know a whole lot about was (junior) Eric Dixon,"Peveto said. "He's done extremely well through six practices." We asked the coach about sophomore Glenn Faulkner a highly rated safety coming out of high school that hasn't had much luck injury-wise? Peveto said - "Glenn's healthy, he's moving around good. He's a guy that's got good speed, he's got length, he's got height, he's picked up our defense well. He's got to keep getting better; he's missed a lot of football around here. If he continues to improve he'll be a safety that can help us.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Nice info
      Darrell KSR -
      Great report, Lonny.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      millsforthree -
      Amazing what happens when you have quality coaching
  • KSR Twitter Feed