Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Who are and the Whose Waiting

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Looking at winter workouts, historical viewpoints, and going into spring practice we almost always have a clue who to look far as to look to the standouts in spring practice could be.

In the case of the four practices under the new coaching staff, most of the usual suspects have come to the forefront on the offensive side of the football. Due to the tweeting of Neal Brown and some of the other means of detection, we know a lot more about the offensive player progress than on the defensive side. But the one’s on the defense thought to be can’t miss is Avery Williamson and Bud Dupree, who have been singled out.

Offense

Who is? On the offensive side we know that all three quarterback (Maxwell Smith, Patrick Towles, and Jalen Whitlow) are talented and all bring something to the table. Brown has intimated that the one who can lead them to the most scores will get the call. That’s a novel idea. When Max Smith was asked who was ahead he said – “I don’t know. I think each of us would say he’s ahead.”When told what Smith said and after numerous approaches to fish out the leader, one writer again ask who the leader is and the unrelenting, coy, Brown said – “I told you guys don’t waste your time asking didn’t I.” When told the answer Smith gave Brown said that’s actually a mature answer. Brown made mention of another bonus offensively is the versatility he gets with Steve Bowden. He said this guy hasn’t played a lot football and just needs reps. Brown has been playing him as a move tight end, a on the line tight end, a wide-out in the slot, and even some at the fullback spot. “I’m excited about him because he can give us a lot of different looks,” Brown said. “He can give us some matchup issues. We had the GPS on him and I think he was our second fastest guy.” We’ll talk more about the GPS as we have a better understanding of its use.

The other place that it all starts at is in the offensive line and the usual suspects have not disappointed. Those are Darrian Miller, Kevin Mitchell, Jordan Swindle. Brown seems to be pleased with the playmaking ability of Demarco Robinson and Daryl Collin at the wide receiver with anxious waiting of the incoming freshmen. Without calling names the remainder of the wide receivers is raw. Wide receiver coach Tommy Mainord used the description, inexperienced. Coach Brown said with a coquettish smile, “If we were playing tomorrow I think I would suit up.”

At tight end spot, are the who, junior Ronnie Shields and senior Tyler Robinson. These are no surprise because they have been the potential standouts throughout their careers. The quarterback play and bad luck at QB position, they haven’t had a chance to be contributors. Who’s waiting? Upon arrival and half-way through winter workouts tight end Coach Vince Marrow was very high on Anthony Kendrick and juco transfer Steve Borden. Perhaps Kendrick is working through the rust having sat out last year because of academic issues. Brown made mention of Tyler Robinson. “I’m pleasantly surprised about Tyler,” the coach said. “He’s running better; he’s dropped about 15-pounds. He’s had a great day, I think. We’ve probably recognized him everyday we’ve practice as having a good day. Ronnie Shields is good in the passing game. He’s really a threat.” The coach said he’s got to block better and he can, he’s just got show the want to. He said Jordan Aumiller has had a good spring, also. As far as tight end coach Vince Marrow’s early impressions he said you go on what you have been told but He said he’s the type of guy who likes to see for him for himself. “Ronnie Shields, he’s a big guy 6-foot-5 with stretch capabilities,” said an enthusiastic Marrow. “Aumiller’s doing a good job. I’m really impressed with Ronnie though. He can get down the field and put pressure on those safeties. He’s explosive and that’s what you need down the field” As for as the on the line tight end he said expressed excitement with Robinson. “Aw, Tyler Robinson is a grown man. I like his work ethic. He’s a guy that wasn’t talked about in the passing but he might be our leading receiver but a strong a online blocker. We get the edge a lot when we run behind him. Aumiller is also doing a good job in that area. He said what he is seeing with Robinson that with the weight loss he is making himself an all-around player. Marrow said – “He keeps good pad level. I think when he heard Neal was being hired he want to get into the passing game. I’m very impressed with Tyler.”

We will explore more of the who are and who is in waiting on defense as the spring and fall goes on.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I don't have a lot of expectations for this year; based on what I keep hearing about needing more players, I think there's only so much that can be done. But I am still excited about seeing them perform at a higher level than where they are now.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Our schedule is daunting.....strength of schedule most difficult in the nation?.....if not number 1, certainly in the top 10
      Terry Blue -
      The 4 incoming frosh wrs will need to be ready to play right away
  • KSR Twitter Feed