Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• What went wrong for Cats

What went wrong for Kentucky this season? How did a program that lost only 14 games the previous three years lose 12 this season? How did a program that won 102 games the three previous years and made consecutive Final Four appearances lose in the first round of the NIT to Robert Morris? How did John Calipari, who had seven straight seasons of 29 or more wins, lose control of this team?

“I think it was a little too much of fighting coaching,” senior guard Julius Mays, who transferred to UK this season in hopes of playing for a national title, said after Tuesday’s season-ending loss. “Sometimes I think guys think they know more than what the coach knows but that's part of being young. You come from being that guy and you basically did what you wanted on that team and you're asking to come into a system and be coached by a great coach, but it still takes guys longer to overcome thinking they know more than the coach knows.

“When you've got guys fighting coaching it's hard for it to come together. I was young once and a coach told me something and I heard it but it in one ear and out the other. It takes time.”

Mays said the loss to Robert Morris was like what happened way too often all season.

“It was the same things that happened all year. No fight, no toughness. Soft, just playing scared, not thinking about the team, just thinking about ourselves,” Mays said. “It is the same thing that happened all year. You would like to change it, but it’s just maturity. I think these guys have more years of college so they can learn now to fight and how to be coached and learn how to be more tougher.”

Maybe they can. But if Alex Poythress, Archie Goodwin, Willie Cauley-Stein, Ryan Harrow and Kyle Wiltjer — the top five non-seniors on UK’s roster other than injured Nerlens Noel — all return to UK as they indicated they would Tuesday, they better be prepared for a culture change daily. Calipari added Julius Randle to an already impressive recruiting haul Wednesday and will add six of the nation’s top 20 players in what is being call the all-time best recruiting class in college basketball.

Kentucky players had no fear of the bench — or practice competition — this year. Next season the five players who could come back may not produce a starter among them. After all, who could argue with a freshman starting lineup of guards Andrew and Aaron Harrison, small forward James Young, power forward Julius Randle and either Dakari Johnson or Marcus Lee at center. Add Andrew Wiggins if he was to pick UK and the returning Cats will have to battle harder daily than they did at any time this year just to play.

Calipari was beating that drum not long after Tuesday’s loss.

“The best thing that’s going to happen to us next year is we’re going to have unbelievable competition at every spot. So there’s no one here that’s promised, ‘OK, I played 30 minutes a game.’ You may play five, but you will change,” Calipari said. “The stuff I had to accept this year, the program almost got hijacked. Never in my career have I surrendered in any way to any team, and I did at times this year – to try to save guys, to try to help guys – and it never works.

“So what we’re going to have is unbelievable competition. We may have three teams, so 15 guys that can play. Let’s go. It’s what we need, kind of like my first year when we had all those players. We’re going to be a little young, but with guys coming back we’ll still have some veteran guys.”

Some critics are wondering if the one-and-done philosophy Calipari has embraced finally has caught up with UK even though the Cats won the national title in 2012 and could have won it the previous two years as well.

“Who’s down on this program? The only good news is, because we have this group coming in, they’re not going to be No. 1 in the country, because they’ll say, ‘Well, maybe you can’t do it with young guys.’ And I come back to, we did it last year, won a national title with young players. But that’ll be out there,” Calipari said.

“So we have something to prove: You can do it with young players if you have some veterans sprinkled in who come with a great attitude and understand what they have to do. If there’s any doubters, have at it. You can doubt all you want. This program’s in great shape. Kids across the country still want to come here. It’s all good.”

Randle’s decision to pick UK over Kansas, Florida and Texas certainly seemed to validate what Calipari said after the NIT loss.

Remember back in November when Morehead coach Sean Woods, a former Wildcat, said he sensed the current Cats felt entitled and drew the wrath of UK fans. Calipari admitted Tuesday “maybe” Woods was right. Then he also explained a lot more about what went wrong this year.

“There was a combination of our skill set wasn’t where it needed to be, we weren’t real skilled and (we didn’t) work as hard and together as we needed to. Was it a combination of all? Was it a lack of leadership or guard play? People have said our guard play stunk. I don’t know if it stunk. I’ll have to go look back. All I know is, there were things that we did this year we will not do. We will correct, and we’ll be fine,” Calipari said.

“This program’s fine. The recruiting is in good shape. We’re right where we need to be. I’ll be out on the road tomorrow looking at juniors. We’re ahead in the junior class. We’re fine. And we will be a tough ball team next year. We will be a tough, hard-nosed, fighting team next year. I promise you we will be because I can’t sit through that. I can’t take it.”
    Comments 18 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      "And we will be a tough ball team next year. We will be a tough, hard-nosed, fighting team next year. I promise you we will be because I can’t sit through that. I can’t take it.” Music to my ears.
      CitizenBBN -
      Great piece Larry. I think Woods got it very right and the lack of a bench allowed some guys to get away with that AAU attitude all year.

I was worried you were going to try to list everything that went wrong this year in detail. I was about to upgrade the server to handle that much text.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      "And we will be a tough ball team next year. We will be a tough, hard-nosed, fighting team next year. I promise you we will be because I can’t sit through that. I can’t take it.” Music to my ears.
      From Kyle to Randle, Ryan to the twins. Yeah, I'm expecting a slight upgrade in physical toughness.
      GhettoBird -
      Really feel bad for Julius. I look for him to be a coach own cals staff soon.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      Really feel bad for Julius. I look for him to be a coach own cals staff soon.
      One of the things that bothers me most about missing the dance is Mays not getting to go to a tournament. That hacks me off b/c some guys weren't getting it done for their teammate. He was struggling some the last couple of weeks but a lot of that was teams keying on him b/c it's not like they had to focus on other players. If those other guys were executing and making themselves threats he'd have looked a lot better. He wasn't here to break guys down and create his own shot, but was forced to do that kind of thing b/c other guys were just not getting it done. Heck, Polson was going one on one last night to try to keep us alive.
      TonyRay -
      I think it started with Ryan's sabbatical and went down hill from there. Tough year but today made next year seem so much closer than the season just finished, looking forward and not back!
      Philly Cat -
      Julius's comments continue to rub me the wrong way. A good leader does not separate himself from his team. All year long, Julius was constantly talking about how the "young guys" weren't doing this or that. I'm just not sure how he expected to be able to lead a group that he was publicly assailing.
      badrose -
      Did we ever get any details on that sabbatical? What was that?
      anderwt -
      That wasn't his first sabbatical
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Larry.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      dan_bgblue -
      I will add my thanks as well.
      UKHistory -
      That is big to me. And frankly it says a lot about Ryan's emotional state. No disrepect or criticism. I actually worry for his well being.

But you can't blow off your teammates or coaches. Not and expect to be a part of things.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      Julius's comments continue to rub me the wrong way. A good leader does not separate himself from his team. All year long, Julius was constantly talking about how the "young guys" weren't doing this or that. I'm just not sure how he expected to be able to lead a group that he was publicly assailing.
      I agree. Lead by example, call guys out. Don't disappear at UGA, or Vandy and he'd be playing tomorrow or Friday.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Also agree....he did disappear at the end of the year.....the young guys gave him more public respect than he gave them...
      ukblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I also heard that he was gone more than once Anderwt.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Frustrating to read, but then sometimes the truth hurts. I just hope next year's crew has a better attitude and are more like AD and MKG. I like Alex and Archie. I just don't think they were ready to lead a team as freshmen. They would have been better off to have come into a veteran team and work their way in slowly like Antione Walker did. Truly think Archie is the next Liggins and Alex is the next T. Jones.

I too had issues with Mays. Did not like him calling them out in the media and thought it humorous that wile having some terrible games himself he was out there yelling at players.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      I too had issues with Mays. Did not like him calling them out in the media and thought it humorous that wile having some terrible games himself he was out there yelling at players.
      I have no qualms with WCS or Mays getting on their teammates for lack of hustle. This team needed more leadership like that. Mays may have had bad games, but the effort was there. WCS didn't always know what to do, but played hard on the floor. Archie was often guilty of trying to do too much.

I'll take effort mistakes over no effort mistakes every time.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      I have no qualms with WCS or Mays getting on their teammates for lack of hustle. This team needed more leadership like that. Mays may have had bad games, but the effort was there. WCS didn't always know what to do, but played hard on the floor. Archie was often guilty of trying to do too much.

I'll take effort mistakes over no effort mistakes every time.

My issue was Mays coming down and jacking up threes first pass into the offense then yelling at Goodwin for not passing. If effort is all that matters to you, then Archie should be your king.
  • KSR Twitter Feed