Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Goodwin says team was an embarrassment with its play this year

Kentucky freshman Archie Goodwin was often UK’s best player, and often its most perplexing.

He led UK in scoring a team-high12 times, but also led the team in assists 12 times. He finished the season averaging a team-high 14.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. Goodwin also got to the foul line 212 times — 80 more than any other UK player.

But he also had a team-high 101 turnovers and shot 44 percent from the field and just 26 percent from 3-point range.

Kentucky coach John Calipari told him “I cannot coach you” during a 30-point loss at Tennessee, but praised him for his spirited play and often put the ball in his hands when UK had to create a shot.

“I just want to win so bad that sometimes I just feel that I can try to put a team on my back and maybe other guys will follow suit and it will pick up other guys but sometimes it didn’t work out like that. I think at times I tried to do too much,” said Goodwin after Tuesday’s NIT loss at Robert Morris. “I’ve tried to do all I can, but we just didn’t win enough.

“I am a competitor. For us to wear this Kentucky across our chest and play like we did this year, it is an embarrassment. To represent this university like we did is really unacceptable. Totally unacceptable.”

So why did UK lose four of its last five games, miss the NCAA Tournament and not come close to reaching preseason expectations?

“Just got guys who don’t compete. Sometimes a lot of excuses are made. If we take away that and the non-competers, things happen for us,” Goodwin, who said after Tuesday’s loss that he knew he wasn’t prepared for the NBA and UK’s other freshmen were not either, said. “We have some guys on our team that have all the talent but kind of play for themselves and that hurts them as opposed to others on our team who don’t have as much talent or athleticism but work hard and outshine the other ones because they work hard. If we could justs cancel that out, we would not be a bad team but it’s too late now.”

Goodwin had 18 points Tuesday, including eight straight UK points in one second-half stretch.

“I just didn’t want our season to end. We have had a bumpy road, but this was our chance to show we deserved a spot (in the NCAA Tournament). But we just couldn’t do it with the way we played.”

Even though he proclaimed he was not ready for the NBA despite some draft projections that have him as a mid-first round pick, he says he’s a better player now than he was when the season started.

“I definitely think I am better. I learned a lot from this coaching staff and from playing with these guys,” Goodwin said. “I came in and got stronger. I became a better player all-around. That is from me working hard and working with the coaches each and every day to try and improve on everything I could.”

He said he didn’t know if fans felt he improved or understand the passion he had for winning that sometimes may have led him to mistakes from trying to do too much.

“Fans, regardless of who it is, are going to have negative stuff to say and me personally I don’t pay attention to it. They are not feeding me, they are not the people that I talk to every day,” Goodwin said. “They are not my coach. So their opinion does not really offend me knowing how they feel about me.

“At the end of the day I am still going to live, I am still getting an education and I am still playing and living out my dream. There is nothing they can tell me that is going to hurt my feelings.”
    Comments 14 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Great Larry. thanks so much.
      Philly Cat -
      I'm getting sick of trying to read code. WHO are the players that are "playing for themselves" and not competing? I imagine it will come out this summer, but all of this public semi-veiled discussion is really corrosive. I wish Cal would have stepped in and I wish they would know better than to take shots at teammates in the press. It's really bad leadership skills.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Another good interview....love me some Archie....LV, any feel for whether he will return?
      UKHistory -
      Agree. It is done. We win and lose as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      I'm getting sick of trying to read code. WHO are the players that are "playing for themselves" and not competing? I imagine it will come out this summer, but all of this public semi-veiled discussion is really corrosive. I wish Cal would have stepped in and I wish they would know better than to take shots at teammates in the press. It's really bad leadership skills.
      MickintheHam -
      I'm in a state of shock attempting to understand how we have guys in a Kentucky uniform who don't compete. Serious mistakes have been made.
      millsforthree -
      Harrow and Wilter.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      I like him and have all season. His mistakes were never from effort. In an offense where you are required to create your own shot, he was one of the few we had that could.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      I like him and have all season. His mistakes were never from effort. In an offense where you are required to create your own shot, he was one of the few we had that could.
      My issue was that he too often failed to create one for a teammate. He routinely and repeatedly ignored open teammates so while its easy to say our offense is one where you are required to create your own shot, its inaccurate. The need to create your own shot was because of a lack of a team approach where the open man with the shot was ignored. Archie need to only look in the mirror to find one of the biggest culprits.
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      Harrow and Wilter.
      Harrow and Poythress.
      jazyd -
      I am going to disagree with you and Philly somewhat. He didn't really start saying anything until two weeks ago and I think he is frustrated and pissed at the attitude he saw every day. I have no problem with what he has said. would be different if he had been saying it all year or for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Agree. It is done. We win and lose as a team.
      uklandrn -
      I guess I am in the minority - but I wish someone would have called out the problems in December instead of waiting until days after the NIT loss. I think we all agree the problem child has been Harrow - and I think the other is Kyle. Alex just doesn't have the motor and there was no one to push him at his position to make him turn on what little motor he had. Next season is a clean slate. We will not ever see this again while Cal is the coach at UK.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      Nothing like putting the onus on the culprits to get them on track. When your peers start calling you out it isn't nearly as easy to try to convince yourself you are performing like you should.
      Padukacat -
      Archie played hard but not really smart, theres more to our problem than a few guys not playing hard enough.
      Kacat -
      I think we need to remember sometimes these guys just don't know how to compete yet. I think it's great getting all of this young talent but they don't all come into the program fully understanding how to compete and win at this level. They've never been pushed this hard or played in hostile environments like they did this year. I'd like to think we would give kids more then a year before we label them "mistakes". Then again we are the same fan base that cursed T Jones for not playing hard and said we would never win a NC with Teague as our PG.
  • KSR Twitter Feed