Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Vanderbilt Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

The first UK-Vandy game

Kentucky will be playing Vanderbilt in their first game of the SEC Tournament after Vanderbilt was able to upset Arkansas earlier tonight in Nashville. UK has beaten Vanderbilt both times they played this season but only won the two games by a combined six points. Vanderbilt is in rebuilding mode this year but has given UK all they have wanted in both contests this year; plus it is in their hometown, so it will be an interesting game. With that, let’s get to the things to watch for:

*Alex Poythress

Poythress had Vanderbilt and UK as his final two when he chose to attend UK and Calipari has talked about how playing Vanderbilt is a big game for him, and he has played like it. Poythress scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, combined, in the two games against Vandy this year. There is no doubt in my mind that he wants to crush it against them this game and has match-ups that are favorable if he decides to “bring it.” If Alex plays to his potential, this game could be all about him. I am looking for 14 and 10 out of him tomorrow, matching his combined total against them this season.

*Guard Play

This might as well be copied and pasted for the rest of the season but the guards must play well tomorrow in order for UK to win this game. We have all watched the up and down guard play this year and have learned the results that come with it: guards play well, they win. Guards play poorly, they lose. It really is that simple with this team. The guards need to be under control and be able to make shots from the beginning because when that happens this team can beat anyone, when it isn’t happening this team can lose to anyone. I want to see the guards combine for 30 points and less than 7 turnovers.

*Guard that three

Vanderbilt shot 52, yes 52, three pointers in the two previous games this season against UK. Suffice to say, they will continue to shoot them tomorrow and UK has to make sure they aren’t open looks. If UK lets Vandy get hot and they make 15 threes or so, then it will be very difficult for UK to win this game. However, if UK can hold them to 10 or less threes then they should be able to get the win and be on their way to competing for another SEC Tournament title.

That is all for tonight. I will be back tomorrow night with the grades and hopefully a pre-game for the next round of the tournament. Go big blue.
    Comments 6 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      UK has to bring it to win a third time but I'd rather play Vandy than Arkansas.
      dan_bgblue -
      I would love to see Vandy shoot those 26 threes and do it like UK did against West Virginia.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      UK has to bring it to win a third time but I'd rather play Vandy than Arkansas.
      Just don't like going for win no 3 with this young team. Hope they're head is there or they will get beat
      cattails -
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not about Vandy, it's about UK and if we play defense like we did against Florida in the last 7 minutes it is an easy win. By the way nice work Tyler!!!
      tyleradkins -
      Thanks cattails I really appreciate it
      CatQuick -
      One thing I will watching for: Cal says the Cats just had their 3 best practices of the season. Does that then translate into their play on the court?
  • KSR Twitter Feed