Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lunardi, Greenberg on Cats, NCAA

ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi said Wednesday that Kentucky remains as one of the “last four teams in” and would open NCAA Tournament play in one of the play-in games in Dayton either Tuesday or Wednesday if the tournament started today.

Lunardi and former coach Seth Greenberg, now an ESPN analyst, were part of a national conference call Wednesday and my question to them was where Kentucky would be as of today.

“There must be a decrease in market share for Kentucky because we have gone 23 minutes without a Kentucky question,” Lunardi said. “We are not doing due justice to the Big Blue Nation without touching on Kentucky. Thank you for holding on.”

He said he had seen viewpoints “all over the map” on Kentucky since the injury to Nerlens Noel. UK is 4-3 with wins over Florida and Missouri after Noel went down with his knee injury but lost decisively at Tennessee, Arkansas and Georgia.

“I have them in Dayton for the time being,” Lunardi said.

He said no final decision would be made until after UK plays either Vanderbilt or Arkansas Friday night in the Southeastern Conference Tournament in Nashville.

“I would not want to see Kentucky lose that game from a Kentucky standpoint or that would bring all that about what team are they now away from home without Noel,” Lunardi said. “If they win on Friday, I am convinced they are in. If they lose on Friday, it will be a conversation (about the tournament) for the next 48 hours.”

Greenburg believes Kentucky should be in. He feels the SEC has been a “little maligned” with nine teams in the top 100 of the RPI.

“Kentucky played its best basketball without Nerlens Noel. Their two best wins (Florida and Missouri) came without Nerlens,” Greenburg said. “They have shown the ability beat very good teams without him. When you look at the total picture, don’t you think they are deserving?”

Lunardi countered by noting he had Tennessee as the “first team out” of the NCAA field and that the Vols beat UK by 30 points in Kentucky’s first game without Noel.

“I don’t think they are a lock at this point (to be in the NCAA),” Lunardi said. “We’ve never really been in a situation with such a key guy going down with a number of games remaining.”

Lunardi did say if he had to bet, he would think Kentucky would “slip in” the tournament and he would not be surprised to find UK starting in a play-in game in Dayton.

“I know the city of Dayton is ready to explode if that happens,” Lunardi said.
    Comments 17 Comments
      KSRBEvans -
      I think UK is in the Dayton play-in game so long as they don't lose Friday night.

Even if they win in the semis on Saturday, I think there's a good chance they're still in the play-in game--it would be a rating bonanza and insure max attendance in Dayton.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      I think UK is in the Dayton play-in game so long as they don't lose Friday night.

Even if they win in the semis on Saturday, I think there's a good chance they're still in the play-in game--it would be a rating bonanza and insure max attendance in Dayton.
      I noted the exact same thing after Saturdays win...too much exposure for that first four with the Cats playing there, and Lex to Dayton is a little over an hour trip, so you know there will be plenty of Cat fans in attendance.
      akaukswoosh -
      “If they win on Friday, I am convinced they are in. If they lose on Friday, it will be a conversation (about the tournament) for the next 48 hours.”

Says it all.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      “If they win on Friday, I am convinced they are in. If they lose on Friday, it will be a conversation (about the tournament) for the next 48 hours.”

Says it all.
      This time of year...survive and advance.
      Darrell KSR -
      We will be in NCAA tournament/play-in with a win Friday. Same even if we win Saturday. If we win Friday, Saturday & Sunday, I find it hard to believe we'd still be a # 12 seed, though.

Lose Friday, and all bets are off.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      We will be in NCAA tournament/play-in with a win Friday. Same even if we win Saturday. If we win Friday, Saturday & Sunday, I find it hard to believe we'd still be a # 12 seed, though.

Lose Friday, and all bets are off.
      Remember you can move in one spot up or down for scheduling purposes...I think they end up an 11 seed.
      TonyRay -
      I find it hard to believe they would put us in the play in game with 2 wins especially if one is against Mizzou. Too many bubble teams are going to lose and slide behind us if hats the case.
      KeithKSR -
      Win one in the SEC tourney and we are out of the play in slot.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      I find it hard to believe they would put us in the play in game with 2 wins especially if one is against Mizzou. Too many bubble teams are going to lose and slide behind us if hats the case.
      Some of the bubble teams are going to chalk up some bad losses.
      KMSBball -
      Think they'll match us up against Liberty if we go to Dayton? I've read discussion about UK playing LaSalle in a play in game elsewhere.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      I noted the exact same thing after Saturdays win...too much exposure for that first four with the Cats playing there, and Lex to Dayton is a little over an hour trip, so you know there will be plenty of Cat fans in attendance.
      Hell, we'd fill UD Arena with just the Kentucky fans who live in Dayton.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Win one in the SEC tourney and we are out of the play in slot.
      I agree. Team Rankings has us on their 11 seed line now with a virtually identical chance at an 11 or 12 seed, and a very good chance at a 10. I think 1 win spares us the play-in.
      UKHistory -
      While Dayton is an easy trip for a lot UK fans, the people of Dayton do a great job filling up that arena.

I am not sure that the play-in game lacks for attendance in person.

I watch those games but not sure how they fare across the country.
      LarryVaught1 -
      I don't think draw of UK fans impacts putting Cats in Dayton. Games will draw lot of fans. Western likely there again already
      udcat -
      Whether the cats are in the dirty D or not, I would recommend taking in a game there if you get a chance. It is a great place to watch a game.
      jazyd -
      Hard to believevthev#2 seed in the BCS conference has to win another game and teams below us are considered in. If they are looking at us since Nerlens they need to look at Mizzou on the road or UT per conference
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Hard to believevthev#2 seed in the BCS conference has to win another game and teams below us are considered in. If they are looking at us since Nerlens they need to look at Mizzou on the road or UT per conference
      Yeah but we got the #2 seed on tiebreakers. It's not like we were 2 games clear of the next best teams.
  • KSR Twitter Feed