Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari watches Hawkins play

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Normally John Calipari holds his press conferences before practice on the day before Kentucky plays. Today he changed that — but he had a good reason.

Calipari was in Rupp Arena to watch Madison Central beat Wayne County in the opening game of the state tournament because he wanted to watch Central star Dominique Hawkins play.

"It's an honor for me to know he was here," Hawkins said.
    Hawkins scored 25 points, three assists and three rebound in an 81-56 win. The 6-1 senior hit 11 of 17 from the floor on mostly layups.

Hawkins' cousin is former Central and UK standout Marquis Estill, who is now a UK graduate assistant. Hawkins remembers going to watch Estill play in high school

"He has put a bug in their (UK coaches) ear about me. That's one reason they are calling," Hawkins said after the game.

He said the UK staff had talked to his coach about scholarship possibilities.

“They have one left, so hopefully they might give it to me," Hawkins said.

He said he didn't know how decisions by top five players Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins, who have UK in their final lists of schools, could impact his chances of joining the Wildcats.

He has four offers, including Western Kentucky and Morehead. He's visited Western, the first school that offered him a scholarship. Hawkins said Tennessee, Alabama and Purdue have shown interest along with Kentucky and Louisville.

Wayne coach Rodney Woods, himself a former Tennessee player, was asked whether Hawkins was an "SEC-caliber" player.

"He looked like it against us," Woods said. "I thought he shot it well today, and we knew he could get to the basket," Woods said. "But it's hard to say unless you see him against some other players that are as quick as him.

"Is he an SEC-caliber player? Sure, probably, for somebody. I don't know if you're talking about Kentucky or Tennessee or Florida, or if you're talking about Mississippi State. I think I might could play for Mississippi State right now."
    Comments 13 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      I think I might could play for Mississippi State right now."
      Me too.
      dan_bgblue -
      "Is he an SEC-caliber player? Sure, probably, for somebody. I don't know if you're talking about Kentucky or Tennessee or Florida, or if you're talking about Mississippi State. I think I might could play for Mississippi State right now."

CitizenBBN -
      That's really what we're looking for, a player who probably isn't a starter at UK's level but still a SEC level player.
      CitizenBBN -
      That was a great line about MSU. Ouch.
      akaukswoosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      That's really what we're looking for, a player who probably isn't a starter at UK's level but still a SEC level player.
      That caliber player is hard to get when you have a bunch of blue chippers. Hawkins fits the bill.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      That caliber player is hard to get when you have a bunch of blue chippers. Hawkins fits the bill.
      Agree 100%. Tough to find a guy who can take the court in a SEC game and not hurt you, and even step up and have a big night now and again, be at least competitive with the Top 5-10 guy in practice, but still be happy with PT behind that guy and probably the guy coming in next year.

I haven't seen him play (would have loved to have gotten there today) but he sure sounds like that kind of player. Of course it's a big opportunity for a player in that role as well. You'll have the job options and contacts and pedigree if you go into coaching but also the player development to have a shot at a pro career as well, even if not in the NBA. Probably a lot better economic outlook on average than going to a OVC school or even most SEC programs.
      akaukswoosh -
      Agree 100%. Tough to find a guy who can take the court in a SEC game and not hurt you, and even step up and have a big night now and again, be at least competitive with the Top 5-10 guy in practice, but still be happy with PT behind that guy and probably the guy coming in next year.

I haven't seen him play (would have loved to have gotten there today) but he sure sounds like that kind of player. Of course it's a big opportunity for a player in that role as well. You'll have the job options and contacts and pedigree if you go into coaching but also the player development to have a shot at a pro career as well, even if not in the NBA. Probably a lot better economic outlook on average than going to a OVC school or even most SEC programs.
      I'm going to try to see him Friday. He'll match up against the nice small soph PG Bolden from Covington Holmes. Bolden already has a scholarship offer from Xavier. My friend from Covington says Bolden can play at UK if he puts on a couple more inches. I haven't seen him live yet either.
      CitizenBBN -
      I'm going to try to see him Friday. He'll match up against the nice small soph PG Bolden from Covington Holmes. Bolden already has a scholarship offer from Xavier. My friend from Covington says Bolden can play at UK if he puts on a couple more inches. I haven't seen him live yet either.
      Sounds like a great test.
      millsforthree -

What I was hoping for in beckham, but for whatever reason that didn't turn out
      jazyd -
      Basically sounds like a Polson.
      blueboss -
      No room in the Inn.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Basically sounds like a Polson.
      Only more athletic.
      BarristerCat -
      I'm thinking about heading over to that Friday afternoon session right by myself if I have to. That Madison Central/Holmes game should be a pretty good one.
  • KSR Twitter Feed