Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Georgia Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Coming off of the difficult loss down in Fayetteville, the Cats return south to Athens to take on the Georgia Bulldogs (14-15, 8-8 SEC). This is a game the Cats absolutely have to win on the road as they need a bounce back game after a dismal performance last weekend. Georgia is not very good, but the Cats must play much better than they did last game. With that, let’s get to the things to watch for:

*Pride

This team plays with no pride or swagger 90% of the time for some reason. They showed pride during the Missouri game and it showed on the scoreboard, they weren’t scared of Missouri and weren’t going to lose that game, period. Then a game like Arkansas happens where the Hogs came out and punched them in the mouth early and the Cats wilted and shied away from the physical play and contact the rest of the game. The latter has happened too much this season as no one on the team really seems to want to jump in the mix (unless it is Goodwin who only gets physical after the whistle blows). I want this team to show up and show some pride and fight that they had against Missouri. Bottom line is this, lose this game and NCAA Tournament at large bid is gone.

*Poythress Style

Alex Poythress looked like he had finally turned the corner when he had two straight double figure games and generally looked like he was playing some serious basketball. He was physical, aggressive, stayed on the court by not fouling, looked for his shots and made most of them. Then he reverted in Arkansas and took only 3 shots and fouled out in only 17 minutes of action. Poythress has to be able to stay out of foul trouble because as thin as this team is, he cannot consistently being sitting on the bench due to fouls. I want Poythress to have less than 3 fouls, I don’t care how many points or shots, just stay on the court without fouling.

*Value the ball

The Cats had 18 turnovers against Arkansas; which is astronomically high for a team late in the season. Everyone seemed to have butterfingers during the game and they were clearly rattled by the tough, physical defense Arkansas played. This team has to be able to take care of the ball and get good shots because they are not good enough to turn it over 18 times and win. I am looking for the team to have less than 12 turnovers tonight.

That is all for today. I will be back for the grades later tonight. Go big blue.
    Comments 7 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      One other major factor to watch for is which Ryan Harrow shows up to take the opening tip
      Rock Hard Ten -
      With RH, one would expect him to be highly motivated as he is returning to his home state for the game
      Krank -
      One thing to quibble with, IMO, is that Kentucky CAN lose at Georgia and still make the NCAA Tournament by beating Florida at Rupp. For those who think that's "impossible", you clearly have not been watching the rest of college basketball this season beyond UK. Donovan has only won TWO games EVER in Rupp Arena against UK.

For seeding, if UK beats UF AND wins a game or two in the SEC Tournament, the Cats are in like flint regardless of the result in Athens. JMO.
      Doc -
      There is one thing and one thing only to watch. That would be the scoreboard. IMO it does not matter how Harrow or Poythress or WCS etc... play so long as we win.
      KSRBEvans -
      UGA is a much better defensive team than offensive. They're 180th nationally in Offensive Efficiency, but 61st in Defensive Efficiency. In SEC play, UGA is 10th in the SEC in Offensive Efficiency but 6th in Defensive Efficiency.

They rely heavily on their D to win. UGA is 11-1 when opponents score <0.94 pts/poss (NCAA avg is 1.01). They're 3-14 when opponents score 0.94 pts/poss or more.

The biggest component of their D is FG% D--specifically, 2-pt FG% D. They don't turn teams over a lot like Arkansas. But they're 13th nationally in 2-pt FG% D, and in SEC play they're 1st in 2-pt FG% D. SEC opponents are shooting only 40.7% from 2 vs UGA. That creates a big challenge for UK, which takes over 70% of its FGAs from 2, 3rd most in the SEC.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      UGA is a much better defensive team than offensive. They're 180th nationally in Offensive Efficiency, but 61st in Defensive Efficiency. In SEC play, UGA is 10th in the SEC in Offensive Efficiency but 6th in Defensive Efficiency.

They rely heavily on their D to win. UGA is 11-1 when opponents score <0.94 pts/poss (NCAA avg is 1.01). They're 3-14 when opponents score 0.94 pts/poss or more.

The biggest component of their D is FG% D. They don't turn teams over a lot like Arkansas. But they're 13th nationally in 2-pt FG% D, and in SEC play they're 1st in 2-pt FG% D. SEC opponents are shooting only 40.7% from 2 vs UGA. That creates a big challenge for UK, which takes over 70% of its FGAs from 2, 3rd most in the SEC.
      Great stuff, Evans. I love it when you post kenpom stuff.

I am still predicting a big game from Alex (I know, I know... possibly the LEAST predictable player on the roster, LOL). I say he will bounce back on offense (a little inside AND outside AND at the line), stay out of foul trouble, and help Willie out on D down low.

I could be wrong (often am, especially this season, LOL), but I think the Cats NEED this one too bad to lose. I say they will, at the very least, SHOW the pride that Tyler hopes for to get set-up to play the Gators as mean as they need to in order to have a chance to win on "Uncle Julius Night", er um, "Senior Night".
      KSRBEvans -
      Thanks! Couple of other things, this time about Caldwell-Pope.

--He's shooting much better from 3 recently. In his last 2 games he's hit 4/8 from 3 each game. In the 5 games before that, he was hitting only 29% from 3.

--He's getting to the line a ton. A tempo-free measure of that is FT Rate: FTAs/FGAs. In the last 3 games his FT Rate is 58.7 (29 FTAs, 46 FGAs).

So not only is he hitting from the perimeter, he's getting to the line, too. A very tough matchup for whomever draws him. Will it be Goodwin? Mays? A combo? I don't think we have one guy who can say "I got this" and do the job. I think they have to take turns, trap him, etc.
  • KSR Twitter Feed