Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Julius Randle's coach: He may be underrated

Coach Chris Mayberry knows he’s biased when it comes to his star player, 6-9 Julius Randle. Yet even though Randle is a consensus top five player in the country, Mayberry thinks the Plano (Texas) Prestonwood Christian standout is even better than he’s being given credit for.

“I think he can play anything from one (point guard) to five (center),” said Mayberry. “I really mean that he’s not just the best player in the country, but he’s going to be the best for a long time. There are a lot of talented players out there, but I’ve seen him up close for a few years now and he is that good. He’s just extra special.”

He missed most of the season — Mayberry says he played in only seven games and in two of those games he only played about a half — with a foot injury before returning Feb. 15. He came back to lead Prestonwood Christian to the Texas Association of Private and Parochial School's 5A state championship.

In the championship game, Randle scored 10 of his game-high 34 points in overtime in a 71-66 win over Fort Worth Nolan that gave his team a second straight title. Randle made four straight free throws in the final 30 seconds to secure the win and also finished with 22 rebounds.

In the semifinals, the senior forward had 40 points — he was 16-for-24 from the field and made two 3-pointers — and 15 rebounds and five blocked shots against Plano John Paul II. Kansas coach Bill Self was at the game to watch Randle, who is expected to announce his college choice in the next three weeks. He has narrowed his choices to Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, North Carolina State, Florida and Oklahoma.

Randle had 35 points, 13 rebounds and three assists in his team’s first playoff win. His team won five straight games after he came back and won the state title despite finishing the season 15-19. The team was 27-4 in 2012 when it won the state title.

“I not sure how many state champions have ever had 19 losses,” Mayberry said. “We did not have the team we thought we would. I lost one of the best sophomores in the country to a torn ACL before the year started and then Julius got hurt. I had scheduled a national schedule, and it got pretty tough at times.

“For a few days, Julius really struggled with being hurt and not playing. I am sure there were days and nights that were really hard on him watching his team get beat up when he knew if he was healthy he could change that. But I think he handled it all well and knows it was part of God’s plan and he just tried to continue to get better.”

Mayberry wasn’t surprised that his star played so well when he came back.

“He trained for a little while before he came back to make sure everything was good,” Mayberry said. “I am just said that people did not get to see all of what he had been doing in training. He’s really improved his outside shot and leadership. Teams tried to take him away from the rim and loaded up on stopping his post game. I let him play on the perimeter some and he made tons of perimeter shots. I know what he is capable of and just think he will be one of the best players for the next 10 to 15 years.”

Randle, a left-hander, certainly gets high marks from recruiting analysts. DraftExpress.com lists his strengths as outstanding athlete, great first step, tremendous ballhandler for his size with excellent body control, rare combination of finesse and power, back to the basket game, lethal in transition, able to draw fouls, willing to play inside and competes on defense.

Scout.com lists his strengths as low block scorer, strength and attack mode. The profile includes: “Randle is an aggressive low post scorer. The power forward has a variety of scoring moves, can finish through contact and likes to face up defenders and attack the basket. He owns his area rebounding wise, is a defensive presence and is one of the premiere athletes that the 2013 class has to offer.”

ESPN.com called him a “pro in the making” and lists his willingness to rebound, drive and ability to weigh options inside or outside on offense as his strengths.

He was named to the Jordan Brand Classic April 13 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and could still be added to the McDonald’s All-American Game April 3 in Chicago.

“Him playing in the McDonald’s game is being talked about,” Mayberry said. “I was on a conference call in January where it was said that if  Julius shows he is the Julius everybody knows he could be, he would be added to the roster. I think he has clearly proven who he is on the court. I think he will end up in the game.”

Some feel his college choices are down to Kansas, Texas and Kentucky. He still has Oklahoma in his final six schools, but did not take an official visit there. He was at UK in mid-September for his first official visit.

“I think he is close to a decision,” Mayberry said. “I think it will be pretty soon. He cut his list to six schools and then got hurt, but the schools did not panic. They knew what the injury was and that he would be fine. We still had people coming in and no one backed off him.

“I think he is going to take a couple of weeks off and think through the whole thing. He is a super smart kid and will make the best decision for where he thinks the coach will be hard and push him but where he can also enjoy the academic experience. He is a kid that follows the Lord and he is looking for guys that will invest in his future in the spiritual realm, too.”

Mayberry says the school that gets Randle will get much more than just a superb player.

“He really is one of the best kids I’ve ever been around. He’s a great kid,” Mayberry said. “He’s not perfect. None of us are. But he has a great mom and has really been listening to his family and people closest to him and has not strayed from those things. He has a bright future ahead of him wherever he goes. I have been close to him for years and have watched him grow and mature. It has been exciting to be invested in his life and part of seeing him grow to be a man.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Terrific, as usual Larry!!!!........As many have stated on other threads, I do believe we need him more than AW with the current projected 2013-14 roster. AW is a unique trump card.....JR is a need!!!!! imho
      Doc -
      I sure hope Coach Mayberry utilized him better than he was on the AAU circuit.
      Terry Blue -
      I hope the Derby Classic folks are trying to get him here
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I hope the Derby Classic folks are trying to get him here
      Morgan Wootten indicated he may be added to the McD AA game depending upon his play when he returned. He definitely returned and played big time, leading his school to a state title.

If he comes to college and plays at the top of his game he will contend with Wiggins as the top pick in the June 2014 draft.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Do believe he will be in McDonald's Game, but would love to see him in Derby Classic
  • KSR Twitter Feed