Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• How I helped improve Harrow's 3-point shooting

By LARRY VAUGHT

In the previous seven games, point guard Ryan Harrow had missed nine of his 12 3-point shots. In 14 previous Southeastern Conference games, he was just 8-for-34 from 3-point range.

Kentucky coach John Calipari said he wasn’t worried about the way Harrow or Archie Goodwin, who had missed 21 of 24 3’s in conference play going into Wednesday’s game with Mississippi State, hit 3-pointers because that was not their best asset.

“That’s not what’s going to define their game,” Calipari said after I asked him about their shooting on the SEC coaches teleconference.

But guess what? Harrow went 3-for-6 from 3-point range in Wednesday’s 85-55 win and Goodwin 1-for-3. While not wanting to pat myself on the back — okay, that’s exactly what I am doing — just know that my probing (??) question on the SEC teleconference might have had an impact on Harrow’s shooting.

Don’t laugh. Let Harrow explain why he had his second best shooting game of the season from 3-point range.

“I heard a reporter say something like me and Archie’s 3-point percentage not been good in the SEC. Me and Archie have been working on that a lot in practice,” Harrow said after the game.

I’m not sure if Harrow knew I was the one who asked the question or not, but when I admitted it was me he just flashed that engaging smile and laughed. That’s when I suggested maybe that reporter should ask Calipari more questions about his play if it helped that much — and since unlike most players he was willing to admit that he did pay attention to media reports and stories.

“I usually don’t even try to listen — not that I don’t like you guys because you all are great — but I just happened to come across that and I am like we need to work on our jump shots a little bit more then,” Harrow said. “In practice, we did a segment where we were only able to shoot 3’s and me and Archie were knocking them down, so I guess we were playing a little bit more confident today.”

I told him I was “glad I could help” his play. He laughed and said, “Thank you.”

But I had to also make sure that he heard what Calipari said about not needing him to make 3-point shots and that if him and Goodwin did it was only a bonus and “we win by 25.” Of course, they made four 3’s between them Wednesday and UK won by 30.

“I heard him say that, but it should even out about the 3-point shooting,”  Harrow said. “We just have to take shots where we are open. If it is a 3-point shot, we have to take it and be confident enough to knock it down like we did in this game. And I know we can do it.”

Especially with a little motivation from a helpful question like the one he heard me ask Calipari.
    Comments 11 Comments
      TonyRay -
      Could you work on Wiltjer's?
      ukblue -
      Harrows confidence takes a beating at times and his play really suffers when it does. If he continues to play like he did against MSU we will be a much better team although MSU's point guard is not a top tier SEC point guard.
      jazyd -
      I thought you had provided a cheerleader.
      CitizenBBN -
      Larry, could you do a 3 page expose on free throw shooting? Thanks in advance.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
      Harrows confidence takes a beating at times and his play really suffers when it does. If he continues to play like he did against MSU we will be a much better team although MSU's point guard is not a top tier SEC point guard.
      True, but Mizzou's sure is and Ryan played well. We need to defend the pick and roll a LOT better but a lot of that is on the pick man, esp. with a PG that fast.
      ukblue -
      Agree Citizen but what did Pressey score in that game. I'm old and can't remember
      jazyd -
      Blue he scored well from the 3 line but couldn't hit a layup, typical todau

Agree Citizen but what did Pressey score in that game. I'm old and can't remember
      CitizenBBN -
      It was how it broke down the defense that really hurt us IMO. He kicks the ball out really well. We just don't have the speed and size to recover well once our guys collapse on the penetration. We also have execution issues doing things like leaving the corners or recovering to get someone on a man when the assignments get blown.

We're doing better. Right now we're doing better at just about everything. Keep on keeping on.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Saving all my advice now for Florida game
      ukblue -
      Harrow has the talent to be a good point guard. If he takes better angles to his man and better decisions with the ball he can be a top tier point in the SEC.
      jazyd -
      Agree blue. He won't give up his starting spot easily next year

OTE=ukblue;61111]Harrow has the talent to be a good point guard. If he takes better angles to his man and better decisions with the ball he can be a top tier point in the SEC.[/QUOTE]
  • KSR Twitter Feed