Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Players glad to get championship rings, but Calipari mum about Pitino and ring

By: LARRY VAUGHT

After Kentucky won the 1996 national championship, the UK players did not get title rings from the university because the NCAA thought the rings were too expensive.
    Other Kentucky championship teams after that, though, got rings and Wednesday night the 1996 national champions got their UK rings during a halftime ceremony of Kentucky’s win over Mississippi State.

“This means a lot to all of us,” said Wayne Turner, a backup guard in 1996 who also was UK’s starting point guard on the 1998 national title team. “We appreciate coach (John) Calipari taking care of this for us.”

Most of the players on the team were present and three — Nazr Mohammed, Allen Edwards and Mark Pope — who couldn’t be had messages played on the video boards at Rupp Arena. However, players such as Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Anthony Epps, Antoine Walker and Jeff Sheppard were all there.

Calipari was coaching at Massachusetts when UK won the 1996 national championship. His team beat UK during the regular season but lost to the Wildcats in the Final Four.

“Let me just tell you the best thing, they were terrific players. They sacrificed more than any team I'd ever seen. When you talk about guys getting 20 minutes who deserved 40 minutes and accepting it, it was incredible,” Calipari said. “The other side of it is you're talking about a very intelligent group of young people. Now you're seeing that as they grow and they're now men, you're looking at them and what they're able to do, you're talking about a group that was really intelligent that sacrificed for each other, that never changed who they are.

“Any time I see them, they're always kind to us and this program. I'm just happy that the university stepped up and did what they did. I think it shows a lot that we do reach back. If there's anything that we can make right, we do.”

Calipari joked that he was “mad” that the 1996 championship rings were nicer than the ones the Cats received after winning the championship last season.

“We let them design their own rings is what we did. What design do you want? They came up with that design. When I looked at it, I said, ‘That's nicer than our ring, that makes me mad.’ But it's nice,” Calipari said. “Again, I think they're really proud. They tried to get back (for the ceremony). The ones that couldn't get back were playing or coaching tonight, couldn't get away.

“It's interesting, these guys have stayed together, stayed in touch. That's what this is all about. It's fun when our players that I've coached here are the same way. They stay in touch with each other. They have dinner when they're in town together, when they're playing in the NBA, all that other stuff. It's good.”

Current Louisville coach Rick Pitino was UK’s coach in 1996. Calipari was asked after the game if the championship rings were for players or if the coaches would also get on.

“I don't know what they did with that. But I do know (player) Scott Padgett, who takes every free lunch he can get, called and said, ‘Am I getting a ring?’”

Padgett was academically ineligible the second semester and returned home to Louisville. He came back to UK the next season and was a starter on the 1998 national title team.

“I know Scott didn't get one. I don't know if they made them for the coaches or not. They may have,” Calipari said.
    Comments 9 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Larry didn't the coaches get them at that time? IIRC the issue was the NCAA giving them to the players but I thought the coaches got them. There is no way Pitino didn't get one. So he has his and has had it, don't see how that really leaves UK or Cal a decision to make. Doesn't make much sense to me to give him 2. This was to correct a situation where they didn't have rings, not to just commemorate it with new rings. Maybe my memory is off though.

I have one of the rings they gave out in 98. Don't recall one for 96.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Larry didn't the coaches get them at that time? IIRC the issue was the NCAA giving them to the players but I thought the coaches got them. There is no way Pitino didn't get one. So he has his and has had it, don't see how that really leaves UK or Cal a decision to make. Doesn't make much sense to me to give him 2. This was to correct a situation where they didn't have rings, not to just commemorate it with new rings. Maybe my memory is off though.

I have one of the rings they gave out in 98. Don't recall one for 96.

Chuck, Chuck come on, let it go!! Nose rings are not the same as the rings the players get.
      GhettoBird -
      I love that quote, "takes every free lunch he can get"
      Doc -
      I know Pitino has one because he "flashes" it all the time. Watch any UL game and you can't help but notice. Also there is the story about Rick's ring and the Pope's ring.
      UKHistory -
      I am embarrassed this year is the first I had heard about the guys not getting rings.

UofL had a ring made in 1986 (I would guess in 80 too).

Was the issue that the ring design was too expensive? If so why not scale it back.

If the ring was already made and the NCAA thought it too expensive what a waste that the rings were just sitting there. And Considering that there were four seniors and Antoine Walker left early...why not those guys getting their rings later?

It is just weird to me.

But I like it because...

1) It honors a great team and on a night that we were hosting a great player. It speaks well of UK to honor guys from 17 years ago when Wiggins visits.

2) on the same note...Oliver Simmons transferred to Florida State and still was welcomed back with open arms to receive a ring. Loyalty to former players and the FSU connection is a nice twist to that tale.

3) Anything that slights or makes Pitino and the NCAA look bad at the same time is a good thing.
      BarristerCat -
      I hope they "accidentally" send Pitino a 2012 ring by "mistake."
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      I know Pitino has one because he "flashes" it all the time. Watch any UL game and you can't help but notice. Also there is the story about Rick's ring and the Pope's ring.
      Correct
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Pitino and the coaches got rings, the issue was with UK purchasing the players rings. The NCAA supplied rings were pretty cheap.

Pitino's ring story comes from the fall '95 trip to Italy. Pitino said he stood in line to see the Pope, and kissed his ring. Upon kissing the Pope's ring Pitino was asked by the Pope, "Where's yours?"
      UKHistory -
      Doc:

Is it UK's championship ring or the Providence Final Four ring? I thought he always wore that ring from 87.

You know it just hit me. Calipari led the way for the players who beat his great UMass team to get rings.

I understand Cal is the head coach at UK. But have you all thought about the "high road" mentality Cal brings to his job?

As I think about that class move, I am stunned by the kindness of the gesture.

John Calipari is not perfect. But he is genuinely good guy.
  • KSR Twitter Feed