Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Mississippi State edition

Things to watch for: Mississippi State Edition

By: DARRELL CARTWRIGHT

Note: KSR basketball editor Tyler Adkins is currently taking the Kentucky state bar examination. He will resume his popular feature with the critical road game Saturday against Arkansas.

Kentucky obtained a badly-needed "signature win" against the Missouri Tigers Saturday night in an overtime Rupp Arena thriller, 90-83. The victory placed them back "inside" the NCAA tournament bubble, per ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi. The Cats host the woeful Mississippi State Bulldogs tonight, but can ill afford an off game or to peek ahead to a critical road contest versus Arkansas.

* Where is Wiltjer?

Mississippi State head coach Rick Ray suggested that Kyle Wiltjer's patience could be a problem for Mississippi State. UK fans are not known for their patience, and it has been almost a month since Wiltjer's last really good game, a 10-18, 26-point performance against Ole Miss. Although he scored 14 against Auburn and 18 against Tennessee, he did so on a combined 9-26 shooting. If Kentucky makes a run at the end of the season, it will have to be with Kyle Wiltjer contributing more than he has done the last few weeks.

* Keep the Sword Sheathed and the Steele Unsharpened

Let's not kid ourselves. Mississippi State has lost twelve consecutive games. They were defeated by 41 points--at home--by Vanderbilt in their most recent game, and they have not won a contest since January 12 against Georgia. But MSU's first three games in 2013 were all wins, and in those three victories, guard Craig Sword went 15-27 from the field, averaging 15.0 points per contest. Guard Jalen Steele scored 21 and 16 in two of the three wins as well. Making sure that the Sword stays sheathed and the Steele is unsharpened will help the Kentucky cause.

* The Kentucky Effect - A Rocking, Raucous Rupp Arena crowd

Anecdotally, the Rupp Arena crowd has been outstanding since Nerlens Noel was lost for the season and the Cats were drubbed in Knoxville. The fans may be sensing the team "needs" them more now than ever, and they have risen to the occasion. While a raucous and rocking crowd may not be required for the victory, it can't hurt. Moreover, continuing the Rupp Arena momentum may be important to build for the season home finale against top 5 team Florida on Senior Day. Finally, basketball recruit superstar Andrew Wiggins will be in the audience, and a rocking, raucous Rupp Arena could help persuade Mr. Wiggins to make Lexington his home for next season.

Will be back after the game to see how Kentucky fared on these key elements.
    Comments 7 Comments
      jazyd -
      I offered my MSU buddy, one you met, MSU and 15 pts for a steak dinner. He didnt bite
      Darrell KSR -
      He probably just doesn't want your company .
      WoodstockCat -
      If this MSU game is within 20 points and Hood doesn't double his season scoring average, we have stepped back. MSU is beyond awful.
      KSRBEvans -
      In SEC games played, MSU is dead last in the SEC in

Offensive Efficiency
      Defensive Efficiency
      Turnover% (Offense)
      3pt FG%
      Steal% (Offense)
      Offensive Rebound%
      Defensive Rebound%
      Effective FG% D
      2-pt FG% D.

In SEC games MSU is getting outscored by .28 pts/possession. That's the worst Efficiency Differential for an SEC team in the Kenpom Era (03-present).

No, this UK team isn't in the habit of blowing out teams, but it will not be a good sign if they don't take MSU out behind the woodshed tonight.
      akaukswoosh -
      No, this UK team isn't in the habit of blowing out teams, but it will not be a good sign if they don't take MSU out behind the woodshed tonight.
      I can see that but don't want this team to get the big head beating a horrible team. We've got a couple of tough games ahead.
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      I can see that but don't want this team to get the big head beating a horrble team. We've got a couple of tough games ahead.
      Agreed, but I'm also concerned they might look past MSU, which immature teams often do. I'd like to see them continue to play well and build good habits.
      jazyd -
      I don't think Cal is the type coach to embarrass a fellow coach who has a bad situation. I don't look for much more than a 20 pt win
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post