Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Florida Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Cauley-Stein's defense could be a key

Tonight UK travels to Gainsville to take on #7 Florida in a battle for 1st place in the SEC. As you may have noticed, the past few games I have solely focused on UK’s individual players in my things to watch for due to the fact that if they played to their potential they would likely win. This game is much different. Florida is a very good team and UK will have to find a way to win match-ups and stop Florida from getting open looks in order to pull off the upset in Florida. With that, let’s take a look at my things to watch for:

*Perimeter Defense

As a team Florida shoots around 39% from three and their main shooters shoot a much higher percentage. Florida has three players (Murphy, Boynton and Frazier) who supply the most three’s for their team. If these guys are open, there is a good chance the shots are going in. Murphy and Frazier each shoot over 47% from deep and Boynton will shoot an three he has so he is always a threat. UK’s guards have to be able to lock down the perimeter in a way they haven’t been able to in recent game because if the three is open, it is likely going in. I want to see Florida, as a team, shoot less than 35% from three and see the big three I mentioned shoot less than 40%. If UK does that, then their chances of winning go up exponentially.

*Guarding Young

Patric Young may not have the numbers of some other big men who are considered elite, but the fact is that he is a bull and will have his way with UK’s much thinner bigs if he is allowed to get going. Noel, Cauley-Stein and Poythress I believe will all be on him at some point in this game. I think we will see Poythress on him just to try to provide some muscle for him to go up against. When Young has fouled out or has been in foul trouble this is a completely different Florida team. UK has to go inside early during this game to try to get some fouls on him in the first half, if they are able to do that then Noel and the other bigs should be able to dominate the interior and make Florida a one-dimensional team. With Florida losing Yeguete, them having to rely on the guards will be a much more difficult task against the Cats. I am looking for Young to have two fouls in the first half and four overall for the game. I am also looking for the UK bigs to limit him to 8 or fewer rebounds and less than 12 points.

*Maturity of Goodwin

This starts with Archie Goodwin. I was extremely critical of Goodwin after last game and I thought it was his worst game as a Cat. Now he is going to try to bounce back in the most difficult road game the Cats will face. Florida is loaded at the guard position and it will take a great performance by Goodwin to put up good numbers. Goodwin said to Larry Vaught that he was made for big games like this one, so we will see just how well he is able to handle the biggest of the season so far. Goodwin will have to handle the talented Florida backcourt and also the Rowdy Reptiles down in Gainsville. I am looking for Goodwin to have 15 points, 4 rebounds and less than 3 turnovers. If he can do that, I think it will be a great bounce back game and really show some maturity that I called into question last game.

That’s all for today. As always, I will be back after the game for the grades. Go big blue!
    Comments 6 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      "With Florida losing Wilbekin"?.....is he out for this game?
      KSRBEvans -
      Florida takes a ton of its shots from 3. In SEC games they're taking 43% of their FGAs from 3, 2nd in the conference. What happens when Florida has a cold night from 3? Do they have a Plan B?
      badrose -
      I think foul trouble down low for either team will tell the story. Their guy has more experience and could school Noel and WCS but if he picks up 2 fouls early we'll do some damage.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      "With Florida losing Wilbekin"?.....is he out for this game?
      I think he meant Yeguete. Wilbekin is playing. Yeguete is out for the season which will prove fatal to the Gators winning it all.

Darryl
      Darrell KSR -
      Fixed.

Darryl, they say Yeguete could return for the postseason. Are you thinking he'd be too rusty if he did, or do you think he just won't return at all?
      tyleradkins -
      Yeah that is my fault, that is what I get for being in a bit of a hurry. I apologize for the error, I meant to say Yeguete won't be playing and it hurts their interior depth.
  • KSR Twitter Feed