Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Georgia snaps UK Hoops 34-game home win streak

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Jennifer O’Neill dribbled at the top of the key with less than 20 seconds remaining in the Cats’ game against Georgia Sunday, looking for the open door to shoot what would have been a game-tying three-pointer. But in a change of pace for the UK team known for its pressure defense, the Bulldogs forced a turnover by O’Neill and managed to pull out a 75-71 victory in front of 7,016 at Memorial Coliseum. The Cats had won 34 games in a row on their home turf, dating back to last season.

Kentucky forced 26 Bulldog turnovers and scored 28 points off those. But in an event that has become rare for this year’s UK team, they had nearly as many turnovers themselves. The Cats turned the ball over 21 times, which resulted in 23 Georgia points. O’Neill herself had eight turnovers to go along with her three assists.

“I think we had a chance to win the game and bust the game open, and we didn’t do that,” O’Neill said. “Just looking at the stats, the amount of turnovers I had was just unacceptable. That last play…we had a chance to win or tie the game, and it was unsuccessful because I had another turnover once again. I’m definitely taking this personally but it’s something I’ll work on in practice.”

The Cats actually had a ten-point lead at halftime, but the Bulldogs (currently ranked No. 13 in the country) would not go away. They went on a 16-7 run to start the second half, largely behind the play of Khaalidah Miller. The guard had a career high the last time she played in Memorial Coliseum, and went for 25 points Sunday. Miller hit two three-pointers in the first five minutes of the second half, the second of which got the Bulldogs to within three of the Cats.

From that point on, there were three lead changes and five ties. The Bulldogs defense began running a trap on O’Neill, which forced several of her turnovers – a “tweak” in the defense that Georgia coach Andy Landers instituted at halftime. Furthermore, Miller, who usually plays on the wing for Georgia, was switched to point guard.

“Coach had me practicing at the point the past couple days, and I knew it would eventually come,” Miller said. “I didn’t expect it to come so soon, but I just had to try to step up and play the position. I was really nervous… I played the point and the wing in high school…but since high school, I really haven’t played that position.”

The defensive strategy of trapping UK’s own point guard, O’Neill, worked in Georgia’s favor as well, as she sometimes struggled to run the offense as she was fending off the Bulldogs’ pressure.

O’Neill’s turnovers weren’t the only thing not working for the Cats Sunday, however. DeNesha Stallworth struggled offensively as well, shooting 4-13; she also had five turnovers herself. A’dia Mathies was only 1-5 from behind the arc. When the team had chances to step on Georgia’s throat and gain an insurmountable lead, they allowed Georgia to come storming back.

Coach Matthew Mitchell took all of those mistakes on his own shoulders after the game, saying that his coaching this week was the reason for the Cats’ first home loss of the season.

“The thing that’s frustrating for me is that I didn’t do a very good job with this week of holding them to a high standard,” he said. “I thought maybe they needed some rest and I don’t think it’s rest that they need. I think they need a good dose of going back to fundamentals and what’s gotten us to this point. I’m just really frustrated with how I coached them this week. I don’t think I had them ready to go today, and that’s more than anything else what I’m disappointed in.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed