Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Do or Die for Kentucky tonight

The "Tad Pad," Tad Smith Coliseum

Dateline: Oxford, Mississippi.

Setting: "The Tad Pad," home of Andy Kennedy's Ole Miss Reb...err...Black Bear....err...men's basketball team, where Kentucky will face Ole Miss in a SEC men's basketball contest at 9pm ET.

Protagonist Villain: Marshall Henderson, the player fans everywhere love to hate. Unless he's your hero. And even then...

The Kentucky Wildcats (13-6, 4-2) men's basketball team will face #16 Ole Miss (17-2, 6-0) tonight in what is a crucial contest for Kentucky, and perhaps, for Ole Miss as well. Kentucky can ill afford a 7th loss this early in the season, and desperately needs a victory over a ranked team to perhaps solidify its chances at an NCAA bid. Although it is still early in the conference season, enough time has elapsed to put Kentucky precariously close to the "Not Invited" Tournament, rather than being given an opportunity to defend its national championship in the NCAA tournament. The Cats have had their chances, but stand at a lowly 0-4 versus the RPI Top 50 this season. Kentucky's signature win this season? RPI # 65 Maryland, with a runner-up nod to the victory over # 79 Tennessee. Ole Miss' RPI is not spectacular, but at # 31, it would at least remove the void of top 50 wins from Kentucky's resume.

For Ole Miss, the stakes may be just as high. Although the Rebels sport an impressive won-loss record, a closer examination shows that really, they have not accomplished much this season in terms of wins. Their record against the RPI top 50 this season is a lackluster 1-2, with the sole win over a Missouri team playing without a starter. While Kentucky does not have the computer rankings they would desire for a quality win, there is a certain "star power" quality to beating Kentucky any time that would likely go a long way toward helping the Ole Miss NCAA tournament cause.

Also helping the NCAA tournament cause for the Rebels is Marshall Henderson, who leads the team, as well as the SEC in scoring (19.2 PPG) and has scored 61 percent of his points from the 3-point line this season. Henderson averages nearly 7 points per contest from his teammates' screens freeing him to launch his missles from long range. Should the Wildcats wish to slow Henderson down, they'll force those shots to be taken from the left, rather than the right, where his 3-point shooting percentage falls from 40.7% on the right almost 20 points to 21.4% on the left. (Stats courtesy http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...tucky-ole-miss).

If Kentucky can limit Ole Miss' second-chance points, which lead the top six conferences at more than 16 points per contest, and not allow Henderson to go wild (see Turner, Elston) the Cats have a chance to beat the Rebels and start their march to the four-letter postseason tournament. If they permit offensive rebounds, and commit turnovers leading to fast break opportunities, it may be the "star power" win Ole Miss fans seek. A sold-out Tad Pad, and a nationally televised ESPN audience, awaits the 9pm ET tipoff.
    Comments 19 Comments
      Darryl -
      Good stuff, thanks.

Even if we lose, we will be okay. Lose at UF, sweep the rest for 23-8 record gets us a 6 seed. The UK name means so much to the NCAA tourney.

Darryl
      catmanjack -
      What have you seen to make you think UK can finish 23-8, really.
      UK beat a 1-4 LSU team at home by 5, on the road and that very well could have been a loss.
      UK loses to what I think is a bad Bama team not to mention losing at home to A&M who has lost 4 in a row.
      Normal years and UK is rolling these teams.
      catmanjack -
      Ole Miss will be fired up, just do not see how UK can win this one.
      Crazy to think when was the last time I felt UK had no chance to win a game, been awhile.
      akaukswoosh -
      Win or lose (more likely) we need to turn around and beat TAMU next.
      catmanjack -
      This team needs to win 5 or 6 in a row.

Remember there was talk that going to Fla UK would have won 10 or so in a row. My how things change.
      KSRBEvans -
      IMHO this a no-win game for UK.

If they lose: "Oh, UK can't beat anyone good, they don't deserve to make the tourney."

If they win: "Oh, this loss at home to a mediocre UK team proves Ole Miss isn't any good, therefore UK hasn't beat anyone good and doesn't deserve to make the tourney."
      Darrell KSR -
      At this point, I'll take a "no win" over a loss any day.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Ole Miss's accomplishments this year are "non descript".....loss to Middle Tennessee State? ....several close W's......we should not be intimidated......we should go in there and win by 5-10
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      At this point, I'll take a "no win" over a loss any day.
      ukpumacat -
      I have a feeling our guys are going to come out swinging tonight. Not sure if it will be enough, but I think we make it a game. I definitely believe we have a chance.
      LakeCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      What have you seen to make you think UK can finish 23-8, really.
      UK beat a 1-4 LSU team at home by 5, on the road and that very well could have been a loss.
      UK loses to what I think is a bad Bama team not to mention losing at home to A&M who has lost 4 in a row.
      Normal years and UK is rolling these teams.
      Didn't you have Auburn beating UK by 10+? UK can get on a roll, and tonight is as good a time as any.
      Krank -
      More worried about Holloway than Henderson.

Mays and Wilt need to hit early and often to open things up. Our guards need to be very committed to rebounding on both ends due to a lot of misses by the heavily guarded Henderson. If we get some space inside from spreading the court, watch Poy and Arch get some.

Kentucky by 6.
      ukpumacat -
      I think UK has a shot, but I do think Henderson will give us trouble. We have been awful locking down any player, and no one has seemed to be able to lock him down yet. Hopefully, Archie and Julius can get in his head a bit and we can slow him down.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      I think UK has a shot, but I do think Henderson will give us trouble. We have been awful locking down any player, and no one has seemed to be able to lock him down yet. Hopefully, Archie and Julius can get in his head a bit and we can slow him down.
      I hear ya and I am certainly not saying I am NOT worried about Henderturd. Just saying I have a gut feeling Coach will have something special planned just for him... and the rest of those Missississies.
      KSRBEvans -
      Henderson has had some off games in the SEC. He was 5-16 vs Arkansas and 4-15 vs. Auburn. I fully expect him to go off tonight vs UK because that's just what guys like him seem to do when they play UK, but if they can keep Holloway and Buckner off the boards UK's going to win, IMHO.
      anderwt -
      I remember a couple years ago when UK finally got that road win at ut that last game, it set the course for the final four run...this game could do that...don't win and your finished imo
      Padukacat -
      We win tonight! I feel it...
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I remember a couple years ago when UK finally got that road win at ut that last game, it set the course for the final four run...this game could do that...don't win and your finished imo
      I agree. I don't know if we will pull it off, but I absolutely believe we have a shot.
      kingcat -
      Certainty of a loss...small chance of success...what are we waiting for?

• KSR Twitter Feed