Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: LSU Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Poythress must play

There is a not a lot of excitement coming off UK’s latest loss earlier this week to Alabama and rightfully so. UK went back to being the team we watched in the first ten games of the season and really struggled in the second half to get into any rhythm. However, the season is not lost but this LSU game is an absolute must win. LSU is the worst team in the conference and the game is at home. UK has entered the time where they cannot lose to anyone not named Florida or Missouri and expect to make the tournament without winning the SEC Tournament. With that, lets get to the things to watch for:

*Offense

As I talked about after the Alabama loss in the post game analysis, this UK team just doesn’t have a lot of offensive weapons. There are a lot of talented players on the court, but only a few of them have offensive go to moves and can score when needed. Kyle Wiltjer is the best pure scoring option UK has. Wiltjer has to get touches throughout the game. Last game he started and finished on fire, but didn’t get a touch for most of the second half while the guards were flying into 2 or 3 people and just throwing up shots. That has to stop. Each player has to realize where he can score from and look for those opportunities. Wiltjer needs to be given the ball either for spot up shots or inside. He needs at least 10 shots this game. Also, Goodwin has to realize he is only a threat to score when attacking on fast breaks or when the defense isn’t sunk down low, same with Harrow unless he has an open three. This team needs to score 70 points and shoot over 45% to win this game.

*Halftime slump

For whatever reason, this team comes out of halftime the worst of any team I can remember since Calipari arrived in Lexington. Multiple games the opponent has come out and either shrunk a UK lead or extended their own lead before the under 16 timeout. Against Alabama, the 9-point lead was gone by the time the 16-minute mark hit. UK has to come out and have an advantage the first four minutes of the second half whether or not they have a big lead or are trailing. This is a very alarming trend to me and one that I hope gets corrected.

*Poythress on the court

Alex Poythress fouled out in the Alabama game after approximately 18 minutes of action and he may lead the country in offensive fouls. He has to be aggressive, but aggressive does not mean lowering his shoulder and barreling over the defender as he has done all year. He has to play smart and stay out of foul trouble in order for this team to have a chance to be where they need to be at the end of the season. He also needs to show up and I am beginning to wonder when that will happen. There hasn’t been a game since early in the season where I have said, “Poythress really played well.” At some point he has to have another game where he takes over. I am looking for 15 points and 8 rebounds tonight from Poythress.

*Noel

Nerlens Noel has been an absolute terror on the defensive end lately and has turned into the shot blocker he was billed as coming out of high school. However, his offensive game has been almost non-existent. Noel has to get a post move that he feels comfortable enough to use in the game consistently. In the Alabama game he had a great jump hook to start the game, yet didn’t really attempt another shot other than a dunk all game. He has to be able to give UK a low post option to make the defense lay off of the guards a little so they can create when they get the ball. I am looking for Noel to have 5 legitimate (non-dunk) shot attempts in the game today.

That’s all for today. I will be back later tonight for the grades. Go big blue.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Tyler.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by tyleradkins View Post

There is a not a lot of excitement coming off UK’s latest loss earlier this week to Alabama and rightfully so.
      When was the last time in January we were more jazzed about the football recruits that will be at the game rather than the game itself?
      Krank -
      We have to be wary of Kentuckian, Anthony Hickey, who I do believe leads the NATION in steals at 8+ per game (?) or some other absurd number. Think he's gonna be up for this game?

I still say Kentucky by 19.
      bigsky -
      We can't lose at home to anyone; if we do then we have to win the SECT. That's just my opinion of course.
      tyleradkins -
      He averages right at 4 per game. I covered Hickey when I worked for scout and he is one of the quickest players I have ever seen. Not big, but just explodes when going for the ball.
  • KSR Twitter Feed