Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Alabama Edition *Post Game Analysis*

By: Tyler Adkins

With UK losing to Alabama 59-55 tonight, they are squarely on the bubble now for the NCAA tournament. UK needs to lose no more than two games the rest of the year, or win the SEC tournament in order to get a tournament bid. It was a terrible second half for the Cats and their shooting percentage showed just how out of sync they became in the final segment. With that, lets get to the grades:

*Perimeter defense

UK held Alabama to 2-13 shooting from deep. I really thought this would be the key to the game, but it did not end up that way. The Cats did a great job on locking down the perimeter and did not let the Tide get open shots. Releford, Lacey and Randolph shot a combined 1-7 from deep, well below the 40% mark I thought would be a great defensive effort. Great job on the perimeter by UK.

Grade: A+

*Push the pace

UK looked to push the pace early and often in the first half. They did a great job of pushing the pace and getting fast break points while Alabama was in the press, but once Alabama went to a half-court defense it was a different story. UK was only able to manage 22 points in the second half and they just could not get in sync on the offensive end. The offense seemed to crawl during the entire second half. The 70 points I said UK needed to get the win was never even threatened as they managed only 55 points.

Grade: D

*Bench production

UK’s bench consisted of one man, Kyle Wiltjer. Wiltjer was UK’s main source of offense during this game and he really played well when he was able to get the ball. He came off the bench for 14 points. Polson also put in a bucket for the Cats putting them over the 15 points I said the bench needed to produce. Still, only one guy scoring from the bench is not enough for UK to be able to be consistent on offense.

Grade: B

*Archie watch

There isn’t much to say about Goodwin’s game tonight that is positive, so the stats are enough: 7 points, 7 rebounds, 2-13 from the field, 3-6 from the free throw line and 3 turnovers. Not the game Goodwin wanted after coming off of his best game as a Cat as it was probably the worst of his career.

Grade: D-

The Cats are going to have to find a way to get some consistency on offense in order to get on a significant winning streak. The road is tougher now, but all they can do is show up and get wins.

You can follow me on Twitter: @tyleradkinsksr1
  • KSR Twitter Feed