Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Fall Guys?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

I'm not much on revisionist-history and the past should be just that. But let's briefly touch on the past as it relates to coaches. I've said many times no less then ninety-five percent of coaches that have been coaches any length of time know how to coach football.

The unfortunate thing most fans do not realize, when things do not work out often it goes much deeper than coaching. But the coaches are always the fall-guys. The real fall-guys are the players that don't come to the University of Kentucky. It's not to say they aren't successful at the places they land. Lets just say they are the fall-guys, winter-guys, spring-guys, and summer-guys at UK. So placing all the blame on coaching is as cosmetic and fool-hardy as the previous line just written.

Other programs recognize the abilities of coaches as it relates to the fact that six of the nine coaches that were on the last UK staff have been hired to other successful programs. Rich Minter was just hired by Chip Kelly at the Philadelphia Eagles to coach the linebackers; Florida hired Joker Phillips to coach wide receivers; Florida State hired Randy Sanders for their running backs; Mississippi State hired Davis Turner to be their defensive line coach; and Western Kentucky double-dipped with Mike Summers as offensive line coach and Mike Cassity as defensive backs coach.

Any coach worth his salt, if he's honest will tell you he is nothing without players so it behooves us all to wait for February 6. We realize Mark Stoops got a late start but we can still get a microcosm look at the future.
    Comments 9 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Lonny, the fact that former UK coaches have jobs beyond UK, many of them with jobs that have less responsibility than they had at UK, indicates to me that they had been promoted to positions at UK that were beyond their abilities in which to succeed. They were also responsible for the fact that many of the players you mention chose to not come to UK, and many that did arrive on campus either were not talented enough to play against top competition or they did not care enough to work hard enough to improve their game to top competition levels.

I agree that there should be a wait and see attitude adopted by the fans on the job Coach Stoops and staff will be able to do. I expect things to improve in the coming season, but will have to wait and see if it happens.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Lonny, the fact that former UK coaches have jobs beyond UK, many of them with jobs that have less responsibility than they had at UK, indicates to me that they had been promoted to positions at UK that were beyond their abilities in which to succeed. They were also responsible for the fact that many of the players you mention chose to not come to UK, and many that did arrive on campus either were not talented enough to play against top competition or they did not care enough to work hard enough to improve their game to top competition levels.

I agree that there should be a wait and see attitude adopted by the fans on the job Coach Stoops and staff will be able to do. I expect things to improve in the coming season, but will have to wait and see if it happens.
      BigBlueBrock -
      The staff that UK just fired en masse pretty much defined the Peter Principle, which is why all or most of them were hired into lesser positions. The coaches were not fall guys because they had proven, measurably, that they were incapable of adequately performing their duties at this university.

To be more succinct, being hired elsewhere does not mean that they didn't suck here. I would also question a thread made to defend a staff that is no longer here. Why bother?
      Padukacat -
      I think to be successful at uk you must ooze confidense and swagger much like stoops is doing. He believes he will succeed, he isnt scared, he is organized. I would dare say the previous staff never felt any of these things, and if they did, they didnt convice me!
      LakeCat -
      To me the coaching fraternity is way too inbred both college and pros. Pro head coaches get fired and in two weeks are hired as head coaches at another team. The same names are recycled over an over. You see it at the college level. Heck look at our state government in Kentucky. JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT ANOTHER JOB in football as a position coach does not say much to me other than than the fraternity took care of you. Regardless of what Stoops does at UK, Joker and company were PITIFUL in putting a competent team game after game on the field. UK football fans aren't stupid and at the end 75% of them chose not to bother coming to CWS even when they had paid for the tickets.
      akaukswoosh -
      Florida Joker Phillips wide receivers

"Rise"
      Terminus -
      I'm just thankful that come this fall, we'll have some new guys leading and coaching our football program.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      Florida Joker Phillips wide receivers

"Rise"
      "Lose"
      Terry Blue -
      I think that Lonny makes a good point in that we need to wait till this staff has coached a season on the field and has a year to recruit before we have a really good feel for this staff. Brock also makes a good point in that the "Peter Pinciple" seems to apply to some of those from our dearly departed staff, most obviously Joker. Stoops and his associates seem to be making all the right moves right now, but we'll see, first big test will be on signing day to see if we close on some of these higher profile guys. But is it too much to ask to be really successful this year, given the staff has been on the job around 2 mos at that date. UK fandom has been excited before, when we hired John Ray from Notre Dame, I would say that was similar to highing Stoops from FlaSt., both were well thought of assistants. Maybe there was no more excitement than when Bill Curry came from Alabama fresh from a Sugar Bowl appearance, and we see what happened there. All of us want to be excited and "believe" but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak
  • KSR Twitter Feed