Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• UK Hoops called "unclassy" for continuing their signature pressure defense

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

A missed three-pointer by Bernisha Pinkett kept the UK Hoops team from its second straight 100-point game, but not from another 40-point-plus victory over an SEC team. The Cats cruised over Auburn, 97-53 Sunday afternoon, leading Tigers head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy to speak less than kindly of her opponent’s tactics.

“I thought it was pretty unclassy to continue to press when you’re up by 46 points,” she said. “We’re a pressing team also, and at some point we do take the press off because that becomes not respectful of the other team.”

The Cats used a dominant first half of play to get to that point in the first place: Kentucky led 25-13 with 10:54 on the clock. Within eight minutes, they had used a 24-2 run to extend their lead to 31. Heading into the locker room, Kentucky led 51-31, and coach Matthew Mitchell talked about the goal for his team’s attitude heading into the second half.

“It’s hard when you’re up 30 at halftime,” Kentucky coach Matthew Mitchell said. “It takes tremendous discipline to come back out and be focused. We are trying to hold ourselves to high standards. We’re not trying to look at the scoreboard. We’re trying to play the best that we can because that’s what we’ve committed to doing.”

As the Cats kept their feet on the gas pedal early in the second half, they extended their lead to an eventual 39 points by the 15:17 mark. Their style of play, however, did not change, based on the scoreboard.

Auburn started hitting some shots they had missed in the first half, and ended up making a second-half run that cut Kentucky’s lead to 24. After a Hasina Muhammad layup with 7:23 to play, the score was 74-50 – a key moment in the game, according to senior A’dia Mathies.

“There was a point right before the eight-minute timeout that they cut it down to 20-something,” Mathies said. “We felt like they were on a run and if they cut it down ten more, the last four minutes, you’ve really got a game. We felt like we had to step up the pressure again and continue to do things we did the whole game that led to that big lead. It paid off in the end.”

Kentucky’s main focus on defense was to “make life miserable” for Auburn’s primary ball-handler, Najat Ouardad. She finished with 1 assist to her 8 turnovers and was 1-3 from the field. The Tigers as a team finished with 30 turnovers, which UK converted into 34 points. That pressure defense is what the Cats have relied on for both close wins and blowouts this season. But is there a point where the Cats should back off their opponent?

Mitchell defended his decision to continue to go after Auburn, even though his team was up by 24 points or more for the whole second half.

“We work really hard to get ourselves in position to play the way we play,” he said. “These kids are up at 5:30 in the morning four days a week during the summer and (they) lay it on the line. If anybody is unfamiliar with how we play and what our goals are, then that’s their problem. I’m really proud of our players and I thought they conducted themselves with tremendous poise today.”

The Cats will continue digging into SEC play Thursday at South Carolina. Their next home game will be Sunday, January 27 against LSU.
    Comments 33 Comments
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I don't watch them but I've been wondering what others think about the scores of some of our games.

Anyone think they come across as disrespectful?
      badrose -
      Intentions are well known and reasons are given. No reason to expect anything different.
      VirginiaCat -
      as a player, it was my job to stop the other team. If I could not do it, it was not their fault, it was mine.
      UKHistory -
      In women's basketball there is not the same parity as there is the men's game.

I would have to watch to make an informed opinion but the Lady Cats are new to being good in SEC play, I am guessing some are not used to this.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Butthurt. Matthew Mitchell be rustlin' jimmies and ain't about to apologize for it.
      CitizenBBN -
      As a coach you preach to your team to play hard regardless of score. Whether in the press or whatever system you run, you play hard. If that leads to 40 point wins then so be it.

You can't undermine what you tell your team by wanting to be "respectful." Tubby talked about letting up to be classy and respectful and it only hurt his teams. You have to have the killer instinct, when you get up 10 you want 20, up 20 you want 30. It's very hard to turn that attitude on and off with a switch. If you try you risk having the wrong attitude in a 20 point game and you let them back into it.

one point or 40 you play with the same focus, the same execution every possession. it's a cornerstone of good coaching.

if she really believes that she won't be a coach for long. Totally wrong view of it regardless of which side you're on.

Another great story Ashley. As UK fans we've heard this for 100 years about the men's team. Nice to have them complaining about the women's team beating people too badly too.
      ladycat92 -
      It's not as if Mitchell left the starters in for 40 minutes. The 2nd string got a lot of playing time together. His responsibility as a head coach is to prepare his entire team, not just the starters, and not just for this year but for the future. I have no complaints about this or the Mississippi State games and score plans. On the flip side, the TAMU game came down to the wire and Florida game was a battle. There's just that big of a talent gap between the bottom tier of the league and the top tier.
      Bakert -
      It depends on how it's done. If you have your starters in when you are up 40 and are pressing, I have to wonder about it. But if you have the second unit in, why should they not be expected to execute as best they can and play exactly the same way they would if asked to play earlier in the game?
      KSRBEvans -
      It's a nice problem to have--beating a team by too much. The opposite of what we talked about after some SEC football games the last couple of seasons. When the issue came up in football, I said it was the UK D's job to stop the other team. Same principle here, IMHO.
      bluecat24 -
      I tend to disagree Bakert. It does not matter if it is your starters, second string or hell even third string keep doing what you are taught to do. It is the other teams job to score or stop you from scoring.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
      Butthurt. Matthew Mitchell be rustlin' jimmies and ain't about to apologize for it.
      +1
      CitizenBBN -
      I meant to add that there are things a coach with a 40 point lead does. he subs more if he can. You work on your offense and defense and that may lead to running more clock (or may not).

as LC said, the one thing you absolutely do not do as a coach is put in the 2nd string and let them play bad just b/c the game is in hand. You coach them and have them play the same as any player and in the same system they'll play in a 1 point game.

Mitchell gets paid to coach his kids, not hers, his obligation to them is to make them better. As the coach up 40 you use that to teach your players and coach the 2nd string players. if he did that he did his job and if that continued to add to the lead then he did that job pretty well.

As a UK fan I've had my fill of that attitude. You play clean, no cheap shots, you shake hands after the game, but during the game you play to beat them by 50. This isn't one of those deals where everyone gets a trophy for showing up, it still has winners and losers.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by bluecat24 View Post
      I tend to disagree Bakert. It does not matter if it is your starters, second string or hell even third string keep doing what you are taught to do. It is the other teams job to score or stop you from scoring.
      Cal gets some criticism for not subbing early in the tune up games in Nov/Dec, but his job is to coach his team and early on you need those minutes with your core rotation on the court. he's not doing it to run up the score, he's doing it so he can keep working with those players in a game situation.

so sometimes even not subbing isn't a bad thing, just part of the job.

find me a fan who is OK with that blown lead and loss b/c his/her team was classy in some blowouts and let up when they shouldn't have.
      blue2ksr -
      Just my humble opinion, but I personally would have called it off. I've never coached a game though.

If they had been up on us and kept the press on, it would have aggravated the devil out of me.

That's just my take, and as usual, it means nothing.
      Catonahottinroof -
      To quote Jim Bunning, "tough -ish".

UK is on the other end of this in football quite a bit. Get better and keep it from happening.
      Jeeepcat -
      I told my wife about it - as she said:

"Good Lord, It's not little league"
      Kacat -
      It's how we play. Deal with it.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      UK is on the other end of this in football quite a bit. Get better and keep it from happening.
      Oh yeah, way too often. lol.

Good analogy though. Hey if they start playing 2nd and 3rd string guys and those guys are murdering us that's just on us. The only thing in football that bugs me is if you can take a knee and run out the clock and you try to score. Same as having time on the shot clock at the end of the game. Just dribble it out. that's running up the score just to do it.

Stuff like going for 2 when you're up 40 is a bit much, but I don't expect a team to go to a run game or punt on 4th and an inch just b/c they're killing us.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      I told my wife about it - as she said:

"Good Lord, It's not little league"
      Which is where the Auburn coach will be coaching in a few years if she really has that attitude.
      UKHistory -
      And Cal all but went to a four corners offense fairly early in all of our tourney games.

I need to see the game to comment but I think we keep playing as long as the other team is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Cal gets some criticism for not subbing early in the tune up games in Nov/Dec, but his job is to coach his team and early on you need those minutes with your core rotation on the court. he's not doing it to run up the score, he's doing it so he can keep working with those players in a game situation.

so sometimes even not subbing isn't a bad thing, just part of the job.

find me a fan who is OK with that blown lead and loss b/c his/her team was classy in some blowouts and let up when they shouldn't have.
  • KSR Twitter Feed