Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• A seminal moment?

I believe a lot of very successful teams have that seminal moment that signals that a team is bonding and coming together. When we look back on this season, there might be a ring around the Auburn game as the one where things began to gel.

From where I was seated behind the basket I could see the plays develop and watch the play along the baseline. Both of Jarods drives to the basket were a thing of beauty. Not only did his four mates part theOrange Sea, Jarod was quick to the basket and had a very determined and confident look on his face And for the first time Poy and Archie appeared confident with what they were doing. For the first time in a while, they seemed to react instinctively to what was happening.

But there was one moment in the game where I thought the players understood what Kentucky basketball is all about. It was a love shared between the players and UK fans as the referees were reviewing the hard foul committed by Chubb. There was a skirmish on the floor after the foul. After the players were untangled an emotional Go Big Blue cheer erupted, by far the loudest of the night. The players turned to the fans. Nerlens clapped to the cheer. Harrow and a couple of others got the fist pumps going. It was a true release of emotion on the part of the players. Each one exuded the confidence of the prize fight winner. The personality of this team is emerging. I can't wait to see what transpires at the Capstone on Tuesday. I believe we'll like what we see.

Comments 69 Comments
      uklandrn -
      Thanks for the video. It put a huge smile on my face. I too hope this is the start of something special. For the first time - this group of guys looked like a team - and it was a beautiful thing to see. After the adversity of the A&M game - they could have folded - but they seem to have come together and gotten stronger.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

I just went back and reviewed the DVR of the game. Most of the crowd noise you hear from the 3:55 on is from Auburn. At about the 1:58 mark of the telecast you can hear a "Go Big Blue" chant, then a "Let's Go Auburn" chant drowns it out. TV production can do a lot to dictate which mics pick up background.
      Wow. That's not the way it played out in person at all.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      TonyRay -
      That's probably because the students were right behind the tv crew where as there the UK crowd was loud as the Auburn crowd was very depleted!
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      I was dreading going to Oxford next week for that game with Dallen
      Can't blame you. That guy's a piece of work. That nice, laid back, clean cut thing gets old quick.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      That's probably because the students were right behind the tv crew where as there the UK crowd was loud as the Auburn crowd was very depleted!
      That makes sense. I know anybody that was there would know that rendition was anything but the way it sounded in person. In fact, I think the video is a little "light," but at least you clearly hear Go Big Blue to the exclusion of Auburn chants.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      I just went back and reviewed the DVR of the game. Most of the crowd noise you hear from the 3:55 on is from Auburn. At about the 1:58 mark of the telecast you can hear a "Go Big Blue" chant, then a "Let's Go Auburn" chant drowns it out. TV production can do a lot to dictate which mics pick up background.
      Keith, as I am sure you know these ESPN telecasts are perfectly scripted, especially on the U. Storrs had a message they wanted to get out and that is Auburn is a player in basketball. Why else do you spend 15 minutes with Sir Charles? Why do you spend one fourth of the game in South Bend with Manti Te'o? It is all about the story they want to tell. It is no secret that they put microphones in the student section and that the shots are of the student section. Did you see any of the hundreds of blue hairs that bussed down from Kentucky? They were there. One of them as old as Cattails gave me a high 5. Those folks werent scripted into the evening's program. Neither was "Go Big Blue"
      Darrell KSR -
      Mick/Tony, what's your best guess of the total number of UK fans there....1,000, easy, right? 10-15% of the crowd?

Jeeepcat -
      Darrell, you video has been re-posted at Ky Sports Radio without credit (other than youtube) - so I gave credit in the comments section
      TonyRay -
      Yeah Darrell that sounds about right. The upper level had quite a few groups of UK fans!
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Mick/Tony, what's your best guess of the total number of UK fans there....1,000, easy, right? 10-15% of the crowd?

The crowd this year for UK was much less than last year when there were about 3500. I would say 1800 to 2000 is a good number. I couldn't see the upper deck at the end of the court where you and I were, but I have to believe the upper at our end was 40% based on the noise above my head. We always seem to have more fans at auburn and alabama for week night games when there are more tickets available. Neither fan base travels well to week night games.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      The crowd this year for UK was much less than last year when there were about 3500. I would say 1800 to 2000 is a good number. I couldn't see the upper deck at the end of the court where you and I were, but I have to believe the upper at our end was 40% based on the noise above my head. We always seem to have more fans at auburn and alabama for week night games when there are more tickets available. Neither fan base travels well to week night games.
      More Kentucky fans than Auburn fans in my little section, so that sounds right. I am never great on estimating crowds. I just knew it was a significant number.

Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      Yeah Darrell that sounds about right. The upper level had quite a few groups of UK fans!
      Big groups, indeed.

I really liked the view. Plenty good from every seat. I will make every effort to being my son to that game again if we can.

KeithKSR -
      Keith, as I am sure you know these ESPN telecasts are perfectly scripted, especially on the U. Storrs had a message they wanted to get out and that is Auburn is a player in basketball. Why else do you spend 15 minutes with Sir Charles? Why do you spend one fourth of the game in South Bend with Manti Te'o? It is all about the story they want to tell. It is no secret that they put microphones in the student section and that the shots are of the student section. Did you see any of the hundreds of blue hairs that bussed down from Kentucky? They were there. One of them as old as Cattails gave me a high 5. Those folks werent scripted into the evening's program. Neither was "Go Big Blue"
      On the ESPN telecast I saw a lot of empty orange back chairs in the lower arena, not much UK blue was evident. Noticed in D's video taken from the upper arena that huge segments of the lower arena were UK blue. It was pretty evident based on the loud UK "Go Big Blue" that broke out right after the foul that the sound was turned up on mics near the Auburn fans and cheerleaders, and turned down where they were picking up the UK fans.
      blueboss -
      Great video, the broadcast was not even close to what was portrayed in the video and first hand accounts in this thread, but keep in mind all week long it had been "home court" theme week on ESP-U. Somewhere in the Barkley autobiography and the Ti'o real girlfriend series they mentioned the three other venues that Auburn has played in over the years and that by building this new venue that they have made a commitment to compete not just in SEC football but basketball too, so naturally they would down play BBN's dominance on the road otherwise it would undermine their "home court" theme.

Side note on the Chubb incident not only did he earn a flagrant 1, he should have also received a technical for the little shove in the back he gave Nerlins when Nerlins came to the rescue after the hard foul.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeeepcat View Post
      Darrell, you video has been re-posted at Ky Sports Radio without credit (other than youtube) - so I gave credit in the comments section
      Funny!

jazyd -
      Lol that is what all the pharmacists down here are saying

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;48915]Can't blame you. That guy's a piece of work. That nice, laid back, clean cut thing gets old quick. [/QUOTE]
      jazyd -
      Old as cattails???? WOW didn't know they could get out of the home that long

jazyd -

MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Well, maybe not that old.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      So, are any of the Alabama BBN mafia attending tonight's game???
  • KSR Twitter Feed