Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Auburn Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Can Cauley-Stein's void be filled?

The young Cats are headed down to the land of Charles Barkley tonight as they take on 8-8 Auburn in Auburn Arena. The Cats are 11-5 coming off the ten point win over Tennessee but the biggest news is that Willie Cauley-Stein will miss the game after have a minor knee surgery on Thursday. The Cats will miss his toughness and effort, along with his rebounding, but now it opens up a spot for someone else to fill. With that, lets get to my Things to Watch for:

*Filling the void

Someone is going to get the start in place of Willie Cauley-Stein tonight, but that isn’t necessarily filling the void. WCS may not be putting up All-American numbers, but his effort and intensity level has really elevated the play of the Cats since he took on a starting role. He has been one of the constants in effort for this UK team, along with Noel, and now they must find someone to replace him. You should know that I really dread typing this next sentence and debated mightily over it, but: This is the game when Alex Poythress will shine in Cauley-Steins absence. UK needs his rebounding and him to up his effort and intensity like he did after that “and-one” last week against Tennessee. I think he is a major factor tonight.

*Goodwin locked in

Archie Goodwin hasn’t exactly played well in a while. Don’t get me wrong his numbers have been there, but there sheer amount of times he has driven into the lane with nowhere to go and forced up a shot with an open teammate begging for the ball has been mind-boggling. He really reminds me of Austin Rivers in that he has the scorer’s mentality and is having a hard time breaking the habit of doing it himself. Goodwin made some terrific plays during the second half against Tennessee, the best was when he drew three defenders on a fast break and dropped it off to Mays for a wide open three that the Cats desperately needed. Goodwin almost looks not engaged at times when he doesn’t have the hot hand and I am hoping this will not become a problem. He has played well on defense but needs to stay locked in for 40 minutes.

*Wiltjer’s free throws

Kyle Wiltjer is a great shooter, but he is also much better than people think with his back to the basket. Wiltjer is the best free throw shooter on the team and needs to get to the line 2-3 times a game. He rarely gets to the line because he has become only a jump shooter, but the Tennessee game reminded me of the immense skill he has around the rim. I would like to see Wiltjer get the ball in the post, not just a courtesy look, and see him make 3-4 post moves with his back to the basket to see if he can score easily or get to the line. With Cauley-Stein out, this is the perfect opportunity for Wiltjer to show his skills in the post and get to the free throw line, where he is automatic.

That’s all for today. Be back after the game with the grades. Go Big Blue

Follow me on Twitter: @tyleradkinsksr1
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Will be watching from Section 216. Thanks, Tyler.

Off to 6th grade basketball, then volleyball, then UK putting a whipping on those Tigers. See all tonight.
  • KSR Twitter Feed