Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari impresses National Guard's Freddie Maggard

Recently Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari once again took time to talk to Kentucky National Guard troops overseas via a Skype call from the UK basketball office.

"Coach Cal and Major General Tonini have done this in the past and worked together to continue the tradition," said the National Guard's Freddie Maggard, a former UK quarterback.

Maggard says it "means the world" to the troops for Calipari to take time for them.

"As a Commonwealth, we have Kentucky National Guard Soldiers and Airmen stationed across the world. Being able to communicate with Coach Cal brings a sense of home to them a care package doesn't reach," Maggard said. "I can't thank Coach Cal and his staff enough for these video conversations. I understand how busy he is as well as the team. To take a few minutes out of their schedule to speak to our Soldiers speaks volumes to the man Coach Cal is.

And what did Maggard think of Calipari after spending a morning with him?

"Intensely focused, detailed oriented man. I've heard the saying that UK is a player's first program several times. After getting a small glimpse into the program, I can honestly say that it is a true statement. I've been around many coaches in my life, I can't say I've met one that cares as deeply about his players as Coach Cal does," Maggard said.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      There are a ton of off-court things that go unnoticed. Others have said it before me, and better, but John Calipari is making a difference not just in basketball, and not just to UK basketball players, but in life in the Commonwealth and beyond.

Thanks for that piece, Larry.
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      There are a ton of off-court things that go unnoticed. Others have said it before me, and better, but John Calipari is making a difference not just in basketball, and not just to UK basketball players, but in life in the Commonwealth and beyond.

Thanks for that piece, Larry.
      +1 The Guy is the real deal.
  • KSR Twitter Feed