Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari hints about danger of team missing ncaa

LEXINGTON — Ryan Harrow says he doesn’t even think about Kentucky not making the NCAA Tournament and is not about to start thinking about it.

Well, maybe he better because after UK’s 83-71 loss here Saturday to underdog Texas A&M, coach John Calipari at least hinted that the Wildcats better understand making the NCAA Tournament one year after the Cats won the national championship is not a given.

Calipari stressed that UK lacked the “will to win” because it didn’t have the discipline required to make defensive stops after taking a 62-58 lead with 5 minutes, 51 seconds to play after Nerlens Noel created two straight turnovers that the Cats turned into points to take the lead. But Texas A&M made its last 10 shots — UK made only two of its last 10 — to stun the Cats.

“I am just hope we are winning enough games as we learn how to do this,” said Calipari.

Who would have ever thought that when the season opened? Kentucky had the No. 1 recruiting class and was ranked in the preseason top five (a spot Calipari warned was way too high). Growing pains were expected, but not that UK would be 10-5 and have only one quality win against Maryland.

Could Kentucky miss the NCAA? Absolutely, and Calipari knows it even if his players don’t.

“I think we will be fine, but no, you have got to win games. For us going forward, each game we play we just have got to worry about being the best team in the gym. We don’t need to worry about anybody else. Just be the best team in the gym and do what we are suppowed to be doing,” Calipari said. “As a coach, this one is done. We have another game Tuesday (against Tennessee).

“I think we showed fight. I think we showed fire. We are getting tougher. We shot 77 percent from the free throw line. But a lot of good is taken away with four minutes to go when we take chances on defense, start fouling and on offense you’re trying to make too hard a play. That takes away all of your effort for 30-some minutes.”

The game’s best player was Texas A&M’s Elston Turner. The guard came into the game averaging 15.5 points per game. He had 25 in the first half and finished with 40 in 37 minutes of flawless play. He hit shots that UK couldn’t defend as he was 14-for-19 from the field.
    But here’s the disturing part.

“He shot the ball well and he got good looks,” winning coach Billy Kennedy said. “He got opportunities to score. Kentucky is young and you can see it and fortunately we were able to take advantage.”

Did they ever as Turner just kept shooting and scoring.

Calipari opened the game with Alex Poythress guarding him, a move Calipari said his staff talked him into making and was a mistake.

“I didn’t want to do it and it was my decision,” Calipari said. “It was a mistake. Because from that point on, he was getting 50 (points). Stupid on my part to do that.

“He’s not ready to guard a kid like that. He’s just not. Doesn’t have the intensity. You’ve got to have an unbelievable fight in you to guard a guy like that to have pride that you’re not going to do this to me. And he may have done it any way to be honest. It may not have mattered who guarded him. But when you start that way, making every shot ... now you’re feeling pretty good.”

It was better than good. Texas A&M players danced off the court like youngsters getting from opening presents from Santa Claus on Christmas Day.
    Still, as good as Turner was — he called it “by far the best performance I’ve ever had” — the Cats overcame a 40-31 deficit early in the second half to take the 62-58 lead. That’s when two huge weaknesses on this team became obvious.
    First, UK does not have a shutdown defender, especially late in the game, like it had with DeAndre Liggins two years ago or Michael Kidd-Gilchirst last year. Second, UK does not have a go-to scorer like John Wall, Brandon Knight or one of several players last year in clutch situations. That’s a fatal combination in close games.

Texas A&M went on a 16-1 run after UK took the 62-58 lead. Maryland, Duke, Morehead and Vanderbilt have had similar big runs — something that never happened last season.

“When teams go on runs, there’s a difference between a veteran team going on a run as opposed to a younger team going on runs,” Turner said.
    Translation: A veteran team knows it must stop the run quickly with smart decisions and execution.
    Calipari said he talked to his team Friday about “gut time, stop the run, stop the bleeding.” It apparently was a message not heard very well.
    “They were listening to what I was saying, but I don’t think they heard me,” Calipari said.

They better start hearing. Texas A&M is not Duke. It’s not Louisville. The Aggies lost 70-49 to St. Louis. They lost 53-51 to Southern. They have eight scholarship players and used a walk-on (Jarod Johns) for 30 minutes Saturday.

Calipari said there’s only one thing for his players to do if they want to become better.
    “Accept what you did,” Calipari said.
    He said if the players do that and then come together, he still “likes my team” and what it can do.
    “What happens as our team doesn’t do well, each individual players starts, like you start questioning each guy,” the coach said. “That’s what happens. Fans, media and everybody else. And that’s why thy need to come together, to stay together, to keep working through it.”

He’s right about the questions. There’s a slew of them about this team.

And maybe, just maybe, way too much was expected of this team.
    “I don’t think so. Or at least I don’t want to believe that,” Harrow said.
    Comments 26 Comments
      Darryl -
      Analysts around the country still say UK is the most talented team in the nation, young or not. IF we miss the NCAA (and I doubt we do)
      Cal's rep will take a huge hit. As it should.

Darryl
      catmanjack -
      This is just a different group of kids.
      You get the feeling that this group is just playing for the draft status and not for UK.
      dan_bgblue -
      Analysts around the country still say UK is the most talented team in the nation, young or not
      Darryl, I do not agree with that, and have not since about 3 weeks into the season.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      You get the feeling that this group is just playing for the draft status and not for UK.
      If that were the case you'd think they'd actually play hard.
      Jeeepcat -
      I think they just want to be goofy college kids aren't ready for this stage
      catmanjack -
      There is something with this group.
      But why play hard when you look at the draft boards and they keep climbing.
      Poythress has not played well for the last 8 to 10 games but stays in the lottery.
      WCS is very limited in what he can do but yet he climbs.
      catmanjack -
      Also think that every year that the high school players are pretty weak UK will struggle unless there can be players that play 2 and 3 years.
      akaukswoosh -
      Also think that every year that the high school players are pretty weak UK will struggle unless there can be players that play 2 and 3 years.
      You absolutely need some experience. The sad part, freshmen that should be returning are being listed as high draft picks.
      cattails -
      This team does not have a Liggins or a Kidd-Gilchrist to shut down a hot player. All these bad loses will come back to bite the Cats, will be a high seed at best. If we don't get at least 2 of 3 against Florida and Missouri we could be in trouble. This team as a whole has a very low basketball IQ. What we need is 5 Noels in different sizes, plays smart and no one plays near as hard as he does. We may have the talent, but you can't win when you play stupid and this team has a hand full of players that just flat out don't play smart. At this point we look like a high seed or an NIT team.
      akaukswoosh -
      At this point we look like a high seed or an NIT team.

Actually we look like an NIT team. We haven't done anything to deserve an NCAA bid. (Btw our best win Maryland lost at home to a terrible FSU team).
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      You absolutely need some experience. The sad part, freshmen that should be returning are being listed as high draft picks.
      GMs are not stupid, Noel looks like the only high pick right now and he could go #1, others better get their act together.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      GMs are not stupid, Noel looks like the only high pick right now and he could go #1, others better get their act together.
      Actually, some of them are really stupid. I agree with the rest of what you posted, though.
      catfan1029 -
      Exactly the way that I see it.
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      You would sure think that would be the case.
      cattails -
      Actually, some of them are really stupid. I agree with the rest of what you posted, though.

Good point Barrister LOL, I thought to myself, he's right .
      CitizenBBN -
      gotta admit catmanjack's point fits the facts pretty dang well, and i agree with you but when they show nothing and are still projected in the lottery they figure they can phone it in and be fine.

imo they may be listening to the yahoos on the draft sites more than Cal. they're going to find out the hard way if they do. that's not all of it, but i think it's one of many excuses they're able to use to deny that they aren't doing what they need to do.

Other than Noel and Harrow of course, who are busting it out there for the win, and Archie is playing plenty hard and is working on his decisions. those guys are playing to win, even with mistakes. wcs has a good attitude he's just so inexperienced. No idea what poythress and kyle have in their minds right now. They probably don't either, which is not a knock on them just what happens in that situation.
      CitizenBBN -
      lol, i have to agree. on average they aren't, but clearly there are some real idiots at the bad franchises. there's a reason there's a usual cast of characters picking in the lottery.

Anyone who takes rivers in the lottery either owes doc rivers a huge favor or has no idea how to evaluate players.

still I am with cattails point that these guys will be exposed and while a team may take them their odds are far worse and their chances of sticking are even worse than that.
      uklandrn -
      The scariest part of this article was to me the fact that Harrow didn't take what Cal said seriously. He basically thinks his coach is exaggerating and that the team is fine. I applaud Harrow's effort on the court - but I think it's time for a wake up call. Cal is not exaggerating. We truly are gonna be on the outside looking in if we don't get it together.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by uklandrn View Post
      The scariest part of this article was to me the fact that Harrow didn't take what Cal said seriously. He basically thinks his coach is exaggerating and that the team is fine. I applaud Harrow's effort on the court - but I think it's time for a wake up call. Cal is not exaggerating. We truly are gonna be on the outside looking in if we don't get it together.
      All you have to do is think this out, who have we beat? And who have we lost to? One quality win and down hill after that. We don't have that many chances to prove we are worthy of an NCAA bid and unless we catch fire we are looking at a 7,8 or 9 seed at best. We lose all 3 games, 2 to Florida and 1 to Missouri and we don't look so good and right now I say we lose those games. We have to really change as a team just to get in the tourny right now.
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Analysts around the country still say UK is the most talented team in the nation, young or not.
      There's more to talent than how high you can jump or how quick you can move. We've got a bunch of AAU wonders who have no clue how to play the game of basketball.

I don't care what analysts say, I know what I see and what I see is certain players making dumb mistakes over and over again and I submit that those players will still be making those dumb mistakes 5 years from now because they are clueless and it doesn't matter how much coaching they get.

Cal made some major mistakes putting this team together and he better rethink the way he is going about this in several areas. Every coach we play against says UK is very young. That can not be an excuse because that is the path Cal has chosen to take.

We just played a snake-bit game. We played well enough to win 99& of the time, but no one is going to win against a team that is shooting like that and hitting 25 foot contested shots. Sometimes it just happens.
  • KSR Twitter Feed