Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Vanderbilt Edition *Post game analysis*

By: Tyler Adkins

If you didn’t watch the game, you should just know UK won 60-58. Don’t worry about the details. If you did watch the game, then my question is this: What is the world just happened? Anyway, thanks Tony Greene for the gift call and UK is 1-0 in conference play. Lets take a look at how the Cats did on my “things to watch for.”

*Road Worriers

The Cats are off to a better start than my comparison team, the 2010-2011 team on the road in conference play. They struggled more than they have since the Baylor game in the second half, but found a way to get it done when it looked like the Memorial Magic was going to take over. Bad performance but a win is a win, especially in conference.

Grade: A

*Harrow time

Harrow started out like an All-American, but struggled in the second half. That is up until he hit an incredibly clutch three when UK needed it in the worst way. In the end he finished with 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and only 2 turnovers. He handled the awkward stadium set up as well as he could have and really showed a lot of leadership during this game.

Grade: A

*Bi-polar Goodwin

Goodwin did the same thing tonight we have watched him do for last month it seems like. He looked tremendous at times and then made plays that really made you scratch your head. He is best at driving, but then drives in positions where he turns it over because he has nowhere to go with the ball. He did make a great pass in crunch time to Noel on a lob that put UK up by 4 with under a minute to play. He finished with 12 points, 5 rebounds and 5 turnovers. He is better than that.

Grade: C

*Perimeter defense

During the first half I was poised to give UK an A+ for the way they defended the perimeter. Then came the second half and there were enough open looks that Vandy’s shooters were literally just spotting up hoping they would get a chance to shoot. They were that open. Vandy ended up shooting 8-30 and that seems like a terrible game, but the second half when they made their run there was no one who seemed to be able to stay with their man on the perimeter. I hate doing this but this will be my two grade situation.

Grade: A – 1st half
    Grade: C+ - 2nd half

That is all for tonight. So many things I could say, but I think a road win in conference play is always a plus. Even if you did only beat a team by 2 that lost to Marist by 17. Go big blue.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Doc -
      Rotation defense was much improved. The team was really helping each other and I think they are "getting it". Not sure what "it" is but whatever it is, it was there for most of the game.

3 point shooting was terrible tonight. Didn't take a lot of good one and the ones they did fell out. I know many are going to focus on the fold we did midway thru the second half but up until that time we looked very good offensively then we just couldn't hit the ocean from the beach. Not all bad shots, just wouldn't go down. I'd caution folks though to look at the entire game and not just focus on the last portion of the second half.

IMO some questionable moves by Calipari. IMO too much Mays, not enough Alex. I know some will say Alex fouled out so he played as much as he could but the pattern took him out of his game. He certainly did more than Mays yet Julius logged more minutes. Also the way Kyle played tonight, Alex was a better option.

Ryan Harrow is awful frail. That concerns me a lot.
      UKHistory -
      Harrow's frame is small and I agree, he is going to take some real punishment. He is a player though.

This was the most disappointed I have been in Wiltjer. This is Vanderbilt and those guys abused him like he was a Washington General.

Rebounding is about effort. Granted Vandy took threes so we were out of position but close in Vandy simply wanted the ball more than us.

I don't know about Alex...he is physically intimidating in warm ups but doesn't play with a great effort I don't think.

As far as Cal goes we seriously have to put more time into playing against a zone. Every year this is the achielees heel of our teams. Is it just youth or does Cal just not focus on this defense.
      Terminus -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Harrow's frame is small and I agree, he is going to take some real punishment. He is a player though.

This was the most disappointed I have been in Wiltjer. This is Vanderbilt and those guys abused him like he was a Washington General.

Rebounding is about effort. Granted Vandy took threes so we were out of position but close in Vandy simply wanted the ball more than us.

I don't know about Alex...he is physically intimidating in warm ups but doesn't play with a great effort I don't think.

As far as Cal goes we seriously have to put more time into playing against a zone. Every year this is the achielees heel of our teams. Is it just youth or does Cal just not focus on this defense.
      Oddly enough Nerlens said in the postgame that they'd practiced a good bit against the zone in the week prior to this game.
      Doc -
      IMO God just put a lid on the basket. We had some good shots that just rimmed out. Happens and we overcame it to win. Our perimeter game wasn't there. On a normal night, UK does much better. We were 3-17 tonight for 17%. UK normally shoots better.
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Rotation defense was much improved. The team was really helping each other and I think they are "getting it". Not sure what "it" is but whatever it is, it was there for most of the game.

3 point shooting was terrible tonight. Didn't take a lot of good one and the ones they did fell out. I know many are going to focus on the fold we did midway thru the second half but up until that time we looked very good offensively then we just couldn't hit the ocean from the beach. Not all bad shots, just wouldn't go down. I'd caution folks though to look at the entire game and not just focus on the last portion of the second half.

IMO some questionable moves by Calipari. IMO too much Mays, not enough Alex. I know some will say Alex fouled out so he played as much as he could but the pattern took him out of his game. He certainly did more than Mays yet Julius logged more minutes. Also the way Kyle played tonight, Alex was a better option.

Ryan Harrow is awful frail. That concerns me a lot.
      Ryan is what he is...he's a lot more stout than when he arrived at UK...which isn't saying much.

Mays is the player who really bothers me most. Everytime we get going on a fast break, and either Ryan or Archie is leading the charge and his wing guy is Mays...i mean what do you do with that? He is the most un-athletic dude i've seen in awhile at UK! He can't run or jump & he isn't very long.

If he's not nailing threes, he's a handicap on the floor for us. He seems like a great guy, & he does give us a veteran player, but, we really missed out on not getting Lyons and having to settle for Mays...sad but unfortunately true.
  • KSR Twitter Feed