Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• **Dakari Johnson to UK**

By: Tyler Adkins

Dakari Johnson, the #1 ranked center and #12 overall prospect in the 2013 class according to ESPN, has committed to UK. He is the fourth 5-star prospect for the class and one UK needed. He is a massive player at 6-10, 250 pounds and is a player who will be able to carve up space in the interior to compliment the more athletic players UK is sure to have.

Johnson is not an exceptional athlete, but makes up for that with tremendous strength. He lost 20 pounds over the summer and is now a more fit, nimble player in the post. He is not a player who will play above the rim, but will use his body to create shots and get rebounds. Johnson has a variety of low post moves already, which is a huge advantage to a player his age. He seems to like playing in contact and actually seeks out contact. The advantage of that for him is with his size and strength, he is usually able to win those battles down low with body position instead of relying on athletic ability to jump over people.

Johnson is a perfect compliment to Marcus Lee and Derek Willis in the 2013 class, as he is the power player and they are the more athletic players down low. Johnson is a true big man and puts me in the mind of Jared Sullinger without the shooting ability from the outside.

Simply put, Johnson is a huge recruit for UK and gives UK that powerful presence down low that seems to be lacking from this years group. The other upside? He recently said he has no problem playing with either Nerlens Noel or Willie Cauley-Stein saying “if they come back then I will be able to practice against them everyday and it will only make me better, so I would welcome that.”

Johnson played on ESPN2 earlier tonight against 12th ranked Simeon (Johnson plays for #1 Motverde) and had 18 points and 2 blocks. Johnson picked UK over Georgetown and Syracuse.
    Comments 14 Comments
      Crazy4Blue -
      Yes! Bring on Randell and Wiggins and shut it down!
      dan_bgblue -
      Catonahottinroof -
      Gbb!
      Rock Hard Ten -
      No longer a silent verbal....Go Cats!
      Darrell KSR -
      Very happy. A good day.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      bigsky -
      We are so jaded. Had Tubby or Clyde gotten a commitment from the #1 center we'd have had a hundred posts raving about it . Now it's second fiddle to a football story.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      We are so jaded. Had Tubby or Clyde gotten a commitment from the #1 center we'd have had a hundred posts raving about it . Now it's second fiddle to a football story.
      I'm laughing, but only because it has a lot of truth to it. we are very spoiled, but do enjoy getting that 4*/high 3* football commitment, for sure, along with the ho-hum, #1 center guy in basketball.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      Padukacat -
      He looked good out there, interested to see cal with a guy like him!
      UKHistory -
      I am elated about Dakari coming on board. It really is amazing what Cal is doing with the guys.

UK had a golden era in the 1940s and 1950s. A rebirth in the mid 1970s and a Renaissance in the 1990s.

What Cal is doing in the 21st century will not only re-establishes the legacy of Coach Rupp but is expanding it in a way not thought possible.
      anderwt -
      Folks have been wanting a rugged rebounder/pure low post guy

Here you go
      Rainman -
      I wonder who the Cats will meet in the national championship game....
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
      I wonder who the Cats will meet in the national championship game....
      Not to sound too jaded, but...........does it even really matter?
      Rock Hard Ten -
      He is outspoken about being a good teammate and winning Number 10.....appears like we will have down low toughness from Day 1 next year
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      He is outspoken about being a good teammate and winning Number 10.....appears like we will have down low toughness from Day 1 next year
      I guess we better get #9 this year for the big fella
  • KSR Twitter Feed