Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Does Poythress smile enough on the court? Does it matter to his improvement?

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Emotion: one of the biggest components of any sport. The ebbs and flows of any basketball game, in particular, are affected by momentum, a crowd’s energy and the boost of confidence a player gets after wrestling away a rebound.

As Kentucky closes out its nonconference slate of games for this season, fans are learning more about each player’s personality on the court. Julius Mays, for example, is known for having the biggest smile on the team. Nerlens Noel has been known to let out the occasional bloodcurdling yell after tearing down the rim on a dunk.

But for Alex Poythress this year, his demeanor on the court has been subject to questioning from the fans. Is he playing with enough energy and pure, unbridled passion that so many basketball players across the country embrace? Does he care enough?

“It is important,” Poythress said of playing with more emotion. “If you show a lot of emotion, people think you’re passionate about playing.”

That emotion has, for the most part, been silent this season, or has at least not obvious to the naked eye. Poythress’ facial expression rarely changes, and fans interpret that as him “not caring.” His recent slump in production has even caused Coach John Calipari to start working with Poythress individually.

In those individual workouts, Poythress works on things such as running the court, elbow jump shots and getting to the rim. Since starting the individual work with Calipari, Poythress has shown improvement. Against Eastern Michigan Wednesday, he finished with 16 points on 5-8 shooting, and was 6-8 from the free throw line.

“He still has some glitches but the team gave him a hand after the game,” Calipari said of Poythress’ performance Wednesday. “We’ve got to continue on the individual work… But he at least played with some energy. He ran the floor hard…He came after it in this game.”

On the applause he received from his teammates after the game, the typically soft-spoken Poythress simply said, “It was just cool people were seeing how I was improving.”

That improvement will be key to Kentucky’s success down the stretch. Other players, and Calipari himself, have long said if Poythress plays like the “beast” he is capable of being, this year’s team could be special. As players like Ryan Harrow and Willie Cauley-Stein continue to improve their games, Poythress becomes crucial to this team’s chances of a deep tournament run in March. The 6-7, 239-pound freshman has looked unstoppable at times, but has struggled with effort and playing each game with passion.

“They’ve showed me film of when I’m not playing hard or when I am playing hard,” Poythress said. “I’ve seen the difference.”

Although fans may not have seen anything but the same facial expression from the freshman Wednesday, the improvement in his game was obvious: diving for loose balls, tearing down an offensive rebound for a putback in the second half and consistently sprinting down the court. He is a player that goes about his job on the basketball court, whether that’s with a smile or a frown. And if he continues to play with the same energy fans saw Wednesday, it may no longer matter to them whether he looks “happy” or not on the court: His numbers will speak volumes.

There are, of course, instances where Poythress has been known to crack a smile. Cauley-Stein, in his typical fashion, was making faces at his teammate from behind reporters at post-game interviews, and Poythress let out a chuckle in the middle of his sentence.

After his 16-point performance, Poythress was leaving Rupp Arena before he was swarmed by about five or six children asking for autographs. As he picked up the pen to sign the miniature basketballs and T-shirts, he cracked that smile that fans so desperately covet from him.

Whether that smile will show up on the basketball court remains to be seen, but Wednesday’s victory against Eastern Michigan shows that Poythress’ display of emotion doesn’t always have to be correlational with his improvement.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Jeeepcat -
      After one play, I think Kyle's multiple tips and put back + foul, Poy ran down the floor smiling and gave Kyle a bump. BIG change for him IMO and great to see!
      cattails -
      Nice Ashley, enjoyed the read.
      akaukswoosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Nice Ashley, enjoyed the read.
      Ditto
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Nice job, Ashley
      Darrell KSR -
      Basketball remains a "game." Games are meant to be fun.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      dan_bgblue -
      ^^^This
      Padukacat -
      you either have to play to have fun, or play mad with a chip on your shoulder, but you can't play for the heck of it.
      daveinmaine -
      JMO but I'd like to see the media and fans give these kids a little more space to be themselves, including not subjecting them to stuff like scrutinizing their facial expressions. It's easy to lose perspective on UK basketball, I sure do, but it would help to remember from time to time that, however accomplished they are as athletes, they are still extremely young and are dealing with immense pressure as UK basketball players and college students. For some this is the first extended time that they have been away from their families. Give them some space to be themselves, grow and develop and have some fun without feeling like the fans and media are following them around like paparazzi.
      Padukacat -
      I agree with you on that daveinmaine, but the problem is that this is just so atypical, and honestly its probably good practice for the real world they will get next year in the NBA. Not sure there is a better place to practice the public eye than at UK, because unlike the NBA the people that are scrutinizing you actually care about you for more than the two hours you are playing. Its a pretty careing fanbase, just a bit over-indulgent.
  • KSR Twitter Feed