Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari did not know wrong shooter was at foul line

By: LARRY VAUGHT

When Nerlens Noel got fouled in the first half of Saturday's game at Louisville, he went to the foul line. However, a few seconds later he left the line and teammate Alex Poythress shot two free throws — and made one.

Louisville fans immediately picked up the mistake, but apparently the officials didn't and UK coach John Calipari admitted today that he thought it was Poythress who had been fouled.

“My daughter called me and said something. First of all, if I thought the wrong guy was at the line, I would get him off the line. I’ve said to officials, and I can’t remember who the official (was), if I saw it off of our man and they gave us the ball, I would say, ‘You missed that. That went the other way.’ And the official will stop and say ‘Thank you, that’s this way.’ I’ve done that before. I’m not trying to gain an advantage," Calipari said.

“Here’s the other thing for all those beautiful people: I wasn’t on the grassy knoll in ’63. The conspiracy people. I wasn’t in Dallas and I wasn’t on the grassy knoll and I was 4 years old. I thought Alex got fouled. I thought – we won’t go into that stuff either – but I thought he got fouled, and that’s why I said, ‘Why are you at the line?’ I thought the wrong guy was at the line, which I’m not going to let them do.

"Now why would I put Alex at the line, when he couldn’t even – he couldn’t make any shots? I would put him at the line? I would’ve had more confidence in Nerlens at that point. Look, that’s all fine. If you want to say I was in Dallas, I was there. Whatever you think I am, I agree.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      JPScott -
      This has been covered in the other thread but its hard to say the wrong person went to the line when it was a clearer foul on Poythress than it was on Noel. It's not clear from the replay that Noel was even touched.

Jon
      uklandrn -
      Agree totally with you Jon
      blueboss -
      The real question is who do you think Cal would have rather had the foul awarded to, R Smith, or M Harrell? As long as he's on the grassy knoll he might as well have given Siva or Djieng another foul or two since they each had seven to give.
      KeithKSR -
      The risk is too great compared to the reward in intentionally sending the wrong shooter to the line. If a player other than the one the referee designates shoots a FT there is a technical foul called upon the wrong player taking the first shot. The shots are forfeited and you put their best shooter at the line.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      The real question is who do you think Cal would have rather had the foul awarded to, R Smith, or M Harrell?
      Obviously Cal had no control over who fouls were called on during the game. If some of the no-calls had occurred out in public they would have resulted in assault charges.
  • KSR Twitter Feed