Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with QB Asaintii Woulard's father

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He’s considered one of the nation’s top five dual-threat quarterbacks and was interested in the University of Kentucky long before Mark Stoops became the new UK coach and brought in offensive coordinator Neal Brown.

However, four-star quarterback Asaintii Woulard of Winter Park, Fla., never heard from the previous UK coaching staff despite sending film. He verbally committed to South Florida, but changed his mind about that after coach Skip Holtz was fired and now has a visit set to Kentucky Jan. 11-12.

“Once the coaching staff changed, he ended up resending his information to Kentucky and they reached out to him,” said Michael Woulard, the quarterback’s father. “He was embraced by this new staff and they are really on him the best I can tell.”

The 6-4, 210-pound Woulard, who was the most valuable player at one of the Elite 11 camps last summer, played receiver his first two years in high school before converting to quarterback.

“He’s good running and throwing, but he’s probably a better passer than runner,” his father said.

“But he can run. “

Woulard was impressed by the hiring of Brown, the former offensive coordinator at Texas Tech.

“We really liked the new offensive coordinator,” Michael Woulard said. “We looked at the Texas Tech offense a lot and knew he would like to run that offense. He is wanting to be more of a pro-style quarterback, but he’ll do whatever fits with the team. He has talked to coach Brown several times and I have talked to coach Brown. We really like him.

“He just seems to be real personable. He is pretty much cut and dry when he tells you something. He’s straight forward but has a good personality about him. I have not seen a lot of coaches like him. You want to be comfortable around people you are playing for and it’s easy to be comfortable around him and working hard to win a championship. Or at least two championships.”

Woulard had “about eight other major offers” when he committed to South Florida but now he seems primarily interested in Kentucky.

“If he likes what he sees on his visit, I think he’ll be ready to commit to Kentucky,” his father, who will not make the visit to UK with him, said.

Michael Woulard describes his son “as quiet and laid back” off the field.

“He’ll usually speak in a monotone voice until he’s on the field and then he turns into something else,” Michael Woulard said.

His father jokes that his son is a “big fan” of singer Taylor Swift, something that might make him a bit different from other players.

“He used to play basketball, but I kind of talked him out of it because he’s always been special on the football field,” his father said.

Asaintii Woulard was timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds two years ago but his father suspects he’s faster now. He also knows his overall knowledge of the game sometimes allows him to play faster than other players with similar speed.

“My son is lights out when it comes to getting on the board and drawing it (the offense) up. He’s way ahead of the curve on that,” Michael Woulard said. “He’s always made good grades. He’s a good boy and he knows if you want to make it (to Southeastern Conference football), grades are the first part of it. If you don’t get good grades, nothing else is going to work out for you. So grades have never been a problem with him.”
    Comments 20 Comments
      akaukswoosh -
      However, four-star quarterback Asaintii Woulard of Winter Park, Fla., never heard from the previous UK coaching staff despite sending film

Guess we didn't need 4-star players. LoL
      dtalbersjr -
      Good Lord. Every day we're finding out how bad the previous staff was.
      bluecat24 -
      No kidding. You know it is bad when you hear kids say, "Well we never heard from the UK coaches". You have a 4 star QB sending you tape and you do not even reply.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      However, four-star quarterback Asaintii Woulard of Winter Park, Fla., never heard from the previous UK coaching staff despite sending film

Wow. just....wow.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      Good Lord. Every day we're finding out how bad the previous staff was.
      Whether on the sidelines, preparing for a game, or putting together a recruiting plan, I never saw anything that indicated the previous crowd any organization skills. A four star player should at least know why he wasn't being considered.
      truecatsfan -
      I think this is the third person say the same thing. WOW
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      This really made me laugh, for some reason.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by truecatsfan View Post
      I think this is the third person say the same thing. WOW
      One of the coaches at Trinity was saying the same thing - UK coaches never even came to the school.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Attachment 1474
      jazyd -
      The comments are not surprising, joker is not the recruiter some thought. I wrote the same thing about joker with a first team DT from S Panola HS whose coach said he could get him to Ky if joker would call which he never did after I relayed the info.
      Mick often said joker had no organizational skills, few listened
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-elite-11-mvp

You have to watch this video and read the article. This kid is going to blow up one day. I'm just glad that USF fired Holtz.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-elite-11-mvp

You have to watch this video and read the article. This kid is going to blow up one day. I'm just glad that USF fired Holtz.
      Great article.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      Terry Blue -
      Tom Leach just mentioned Larry's interview on his radio show
      Darrell KSR -
      Gosh he looks good.

# 1 & # 2 QBs in the nation (ESPN) were the two runner-ups to Woulard. Doesn't mean he's the best QB in the nation, but it does show the company he's keeping at that level.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Asaintii is possibly a program-changing kind of player.
      suncat05 -
      Lots of information coming to light in the past few weeks to indicate that the former staff may not have been as committed to or at least as enthusiastic about recruiting as they should have been, and that the attitude promoting competition and winning just was not as prevalent as it should have been.
      But we all saw the product on the field the last 3 years, and we all know it was not good in any way, shape, or form. All of this coming to light is just disgraceful, IMHO. There is ZERO EXCUSE for this to have been anywhere close to as bad as it actually was.
      How do you NOT respond to a top five 4* QB who contacts YOU?? How the hell does that even happen?? But then again, now we're finding out that the former staff did not even visit the top high school program in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or even it's coaching staff with interest about some of their players who could have been helping Kentucky instead of going other places?? What the heck, guys?? What kind of nonsense is that?
      Now I'm going to say something that will tick off a few of you guys, but this needs to be said: This is all Mitch Barnhart's fault, to have allowed this to deteriorate in the manner in which it did. We became the laughing stock of the SEC(well, truthfully, we already were!) because MB was more interested in protecting his buddy Joker than he was in promoting a top flight football program for Kentucky. And while MB may have made a very good hire by getting Stoops to come to Lexington, by all accounts it was Stoops who contacted him, not the other way around, which in my mind is another black eye to the program via MB.
      I've even seen rumors that MB was not really interested in Coach Calipari until Mike Pratt and Co. put some pressure on him to consider it, so........
      And it remains to be seen whether or not Stoops can pull off a miracle of some sort to make Kentucky competitive in football on a regular basis, although I have hopes that he can, but seriously, how do you allow something like this to happen if you're supposed to be the "steward" of the athletics program?
      Please forgive me for stating the obvious, but why has this been allowed to happen like it has?? I'm just sayin'...........
      LarryVaught1 -
      Sorry info intended for those here somehow magically leaked out last night, but it is great to see so much football talk in early January
      Terry Blue -
      Matt Jones had it on his site as soon as it was placed here. If we do get him, we'll just add another part to an already stacked position
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Matt Jones had it on his site as soon as it was placed here. If we do get him, we'll just add another part to an already stacked position
      If we get him, I imagine Whitlow is moved to TE or transfers, and one of Smith/Towles transfers - especially of Woulard is as good as advertised.
      truecatsfan -
      There were rumors on bbk that Cobbins is not coming back.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post