Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari takes blame for loss

By LARRY VAUGHT
    larry@amnews.com
    LOUISVILLE — As he drove into traffic with less than 40 seconds remaining in Saturday’s game, Kentucky freshman Archie Goodwin knew he was in trouble against Louisville’s trapping defense.
    Kentucky had rallied from a 51-34 deficit five minutes into the second half to get back in the game and was down 78-74 thanks in large part to Goodwin, who had 10 points in the final four minutes of the game. However, he threw a pass that Louisville’s Chane Behanan intercepted and turned into a dunk that sealed No. 4 Louisville’s 80-77 victory.
    “I thought maybe I should call timeout, but I didn’t know how many we had left,” said Goodwin. “I didn’t want to get a T (technical foul).”
    Kentucky coach John Calipari didn’t fault Goodwin for his lapse in judgment. Instead, he blamed himself for not calling a timeout and costing UK a possible upset.
    “I told my team, ‘You get us close and I will help get you over the edge,’” said Calipari. “Down four with the ball and I did not call timeout. That effectively ended the game. This one is on me.”
    Calipari said UK will “hopefully win more than I cause us to lose” as he explained why it should have been his move to take a timeout — something he always says he does not like to do late in games — before Goodwin committed his turnover.
    “That was a coach’s play. We were down four and had our chances,” Calipari said. “I liked their fight. We have a ways to go, but it is unexcusable what I did.”
    Why didn’t he call the timeout?
    “I don’t know,” Calipari said. “As soon as he threw the ball away, I looked at (assistant coach) John Robic and said, ‘What was I thinking (not calling timeout)?’ They deserved to win, but I did not give my guys a chance at the end.”
    Calipari joked he would have set up a “four-point play” at the timeout.
    But he was serious about another mistake he said he made.
    “The other thing I did, I did a poor job. I coaches this team like I have others against the press. And then you saw what I ended up doing. I brought the big guy up so we could just get it in and then play from there,” Calipari said.
    “After then, the press didn’t hurt us. There were a couple of bumps and grinds and grabs where we may have lost the ball, but it had no effect on the game. But again, why didn’t I do that earlier? These kids are 18 years old.”
    Goodwin wanted no part of blaming his coach for the loss.
    “He steps up and take responsibility for it. Even if he thinks it was our fault, he would come up and do that,” Goodwin said. “I wouldn’t blame it on him. I would blame it on us as a team. We missed 12 free throws and that’s really a big thing that we have to make those. A couple of hustle plays we didn’t get as well. All those things contributed to us not winning this game. It is not coach’s fault.”
    Still, Calipari was saying something different.
    “Look, I am coaching this young team and their job is to make it a close at the end.  My job is to give them a plan to finish it off,” Calipari said. “They got us right where we wanted to be, and I dropped the ball.”
    Comments 8 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      Great quotes. Thanks Larry. I couldn't believe they didn't call a TO on that Goodwin turnover. Glad to hear them talk about it.
      Darrell KSR -
      It was a bad coaching move (or lack of one). UK had some momentum and maybe the idea was to play through it, but it was costly. On the whole, a very well coached game to keep UK in it. Had to bench Poythress but didn't hesitat to do it. Played Kyle when everybody said it would be a bad matchup for him. Lots of good; Cal did a whale of a job today.

Also, taking blame like that is very smart for a young team. Throw a team under the bus this young, and you become a Pitino NIT team. Very smart move.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.
      catmanjack -
      To me the foul by Siva on Goodwin with like 3 mins left that cause a TO and then the foul on Noel that caused another TO.
      Hurt UK's chances more then the non timeout.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
      Cal has preached in the past about playing for one another and "being your brothers' keeper" and you can see that to some extent in his response. The real positive I take from this is in Goodwin's response, and judging from Harrow's and WCS's comments as well, you see that the team has his back too in accepting responsibility for the outcome. You could sense there was a bit of a disconnect between the Coach and his vision versus some of the players' attitudes earlier in the year, but I think we're seeing that overall mindset come together as a singular focus with both. That is what's going to make this group a formidable out in March and a better basketball team each day.
      This. It wasn't Cal's fault. It wasn't anybody's fault. But kudos for taking the blame. It's what team players do
      Kacat -
      I hate to lose. I really hate to lose to UL but I love where we are as a program and I've got a major man crush on Coach Cal.
      CitizenBBN -
      Smart move by Cal as Darrell said. This team needs to take a lot of confidence and sense of accomplishment from this game and in a loss the way he can do that is saying "the team won, I lost".

Also a true statement from him. He's said before he doesn't like to take timeouts in those situations to let the other team set up, but when he hasn't and it's gone bad he's said he has a young team and he forgets that and it's his fault. He's done it a couple of times now. This team needs the timeout right now. Not even to draw up a play but just focus them, get them to breathe a minute.

Well played by Cal, and I think Cal does learn and grow as a coach and is sincere in questioning his decisions as part of getting better. I think he said the smart things in this situation, but I think he also knows young teams need some things he may not do with a more experienced squad.
      uklandrn -
      The wonderful thing about young teams is they have a high learning curve. These guys are soaking up everything Cal has to say - and you can see how much they have improved over the last couple weeks. Love that Cal took the blame - even if it is only one mistake in the midst of a well coached game. Love that the team is taking responsibility - and coming together. Lots to look forward to. Can't wait to watch this team grow!
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      I hate to lose. I really hate to lose to UL but I love where we are as a program and I've got a major man crush on Coach Cal.
      lol. Mad respect.
  • KSR Twitter Feed