Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mike DeCourcy on Cats and Cards

By LARRY VAUGHT

He doesn’t really think Kentucky can win at Louisville Saturday, but Sporting News college basketball columnist Mike DeCourcy knows pregame assumptions often can be wrong.

The logic is that Louisville is just too experienced and deep for Kentucky this year, especially playing at home as it will be Saturday when it tried to end a four-game losing streak to the unranked Wildcats.

“That would be the assumption, but if the games were not played by human beings we would simply feed it all into a computer and then take those results at face value,” said DeCourcy. “Louisville has been terrific this year. Kentucky has not. Louisville responded to its adversity — Gorgui Dieng's injury — by finding the means to beat quality teams like Charleston and Memphis on the road. Kentucky responded to its adversity — Ryan Harrow's early absence — by struggling to find a rhythm.

“We could stop right there and let that stand, or we can play the game? Me, I'd rather see the game. I expect I know what will happen. I don't believe Kentucky has evolved to the point where it will succeed against UL's pressure or its zone. It'll be intriguing to watch them try.”

It will be and whether No. 4 Louisville will be the best team UK has faced — both teams lost to No. 1 Duke — remains to be seen even though Dieng has been cleared to play after missing about a month of play.

“That's a hard one to judge, without knowing how effective Dieng will be after a month layoff,” DeCourcy said when asked about the Cards being the best team UK has faced. “By the end of last year, Dieng was outstanding and Louisville was playing with confidence. At the end of 2005, when Calipari was coaching Memphis, the Cards were on the way to the Final Four although with less talent than this team owns.

“This team certainly has the potential to be better than 2005 or 2012 Louisville, but Calipari and Kentucky will be facing a less evolved team. Of course, he'll be facing these Cards with a team that is very much a work in progress.”

Is DeCourcy seeing signs of progress with Kentucky and how important is this game for UK?

“That wasn't a terrible Marshall team Kentucky blew out of Rupp Arena (last week). It wasn't a good team, but to put a 28-point beating on the Herd was a step forward, especially with Harrow playing a significant role,” DeCourcy said. “Harrow is not what many UK fans imagined him to be, but he is starting to show he can be an effective player at this level.

“I think it's honestly more important that he not wilt under UofL's defensive pressure, that he play competently and effectively, than it is for UK to win. Without a victory over Louisville it's not going to be easy for Kentucky to earn a comfortable NCAA Tournament seed given the relative weakness of the SEC. It is more important, though, for UK to be positioned to contend for the league title and take whatever seed comes with either winning it or coming close. To do that, they're going to need Harrow to be good.”

He’s right because if the Cats do lose — and they are a decided underdog — that will be four losses already and it is going to be a difficult climb back even into the top 25. Even winning the SEC could position UK no better than maybe a six seed if it falls to Louisville.

DeCourcy still feels UK freshman Alex Poythress has more talent than any player who will play in Saturday’s game.

“But he's still missing the drive to go with it,” DeCourcy said.

So who will be the best player on the court?

“The most accomplished player is (Louisville senior guard) Peyton Siva, the reigning Big East Tournament MVP. But the best player for either team to date has been (Louisville guard) Russ Smith, and I'm still astonished by that. I didn't picture him as anything more than a change-of-pace player, but Rick Pitino has managed to turn him into a star,” DeCourcy said.

However, DeCourcy remains a huge fan of UK freshman center Nerlens Noel.

“I saw Noel in high school and wrote that the only reasonable comparison for the way he played was Bill Russell. I knew at the time it was a reach, and that it was unlikely Noel would one day win a dozen or so NBA championships (like Russell did with Boston). The point of a comparison is to draw a mental picture for readers of a player they haven't seen, and that's what Noel looks like when he guards: like a young Russell, with his long, spindly arms and legs and hunger to impact every defensive possession,” DeCourcy said.

“The only thing Noel has surprised me with is his eagerness to impact the game at both ends. I don't view him as overwhelmingly skilled on offense, but he so wants to make a difference that he is willing and able to attack defenses just based on his speed, quickness and bounce. All that got Mason Plumlee (of Duke) in foul trouble. If Noel ever develops a reliable offensive weapon — a killer jump-hook or a 14-foot jumper — he'll be an excellent NBA player,” DeCourcy said.

Unfortunately for Kentucky, he doesn’t have either of those tools yet and that’s why barring some kind of major surprise, the guess here is that Louisville does indeed win Saturday’s game.
    Comments 23 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Personally, I'll be surprised if we can keep the game in single digits, but I hope I will be surprised
      Darrell KSR -
      I can't disagree with Mike. He has a good, considered opinion, and always great support for it.

Still hope we see the Cats put together 40 minutes and walk away with the win, but odds are, it won't happen.
      cattails -
      Fact of the matter is UL has to have an off game and UK have its best game and then we have a chance. Like it or not that is the way it is, UL is really good.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Fact of the matter is UL has to have an off game and UK have its best game and then we have a chance. Like it or not that is the way it is, UL is really good.
      Now that Dieng's back, I agree.

I think he has been the Cards' most important player, both last year and this, and that his presence means everything to how they play. I realize they have had success while he has been out and I don't expect Pitino's way of lying about the severity of injuries to yield anything other than a full-power Gorgui (I think that's the name of a move in obscure Greco-Albanian wrestling).

I also do not count on the ol' "new chemistry messed up by healed star returning" thing to work out for UK either. Nerlens Noel just became as important as Ryan Harrow on Saturday. BOTH of them have to lead AND make few mistakes. We need them to go to war against Siva and Dieng and hope the other guys hold it together.

Kentucky by five.
      CitizenBBN -
      I have no doubt Noel will go to war on whoever is near him. If we could infect everyone else with his attitude and effort we'd be undefeated IMO. He may go 1-12 around the rim but he'll come to battle. Just hope everyone else turns it on.
      catmanjack -
      Poythress has to come to play and the sad part is I don't expect it.
      Good player just lacks the warrior mind to be great.
      MickintheHam -
      I am concerned for the pressure on Harrow. If Uavel stops him, alas, I am afraid they stop Kentucky.
      ajp40505 -
      I agree, Mick. I don't think it matters a great deal whether Dieng plays or not because Noel is not going to wow anyone on the offensive end of the floor. This game will be determined by the guards.
      Darrell KSR -
      Cards have been ranked in the top 10 five times since 1990 when they played the Cats. They have lost all 5 games, including two times when Kentucky was not ranked in the top 20.

I'm on record as predicting a double digit loss, but beware, stranger things have happened.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I have no doubt Noel will go to war on whoever is near him. If we could infect everyone else with his attitude and effort we'd be undefeated IMO. He may go 1-12 around the rim but he'll come to battle. Just hope everyone else turns it on.
      I just hope he keeps his feet on the floor until the right time to block shots, or he won't be on the floor 20 minutes.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

Kentucky by five.
      I sure hope you are right, but right now I don't see it
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I am concerned for the pressure on Harrow. If Uavel stops him, alas, I am afraid they stop Kentucky.
      Very true statement, spot on. Wiltjer can keep us in the game if he is red hot.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
      I agree, Mick. I don't think it matters a great deal whether Dieng plays or not because Noel is not going to wow anyone on the offensive end of the floor. This game will be determined by the guards.
      Yeah, I'm afraid Slick's plan will be to beat up on Harrow. Look for some ugly fouls on Ryan, just to intimidate him. This is a game where Ryan needs to be an Eric Bledsoe. I do believe however, if Slick attempts to get tough with Archie, it will inspire that kid to great play. Uavel may wish to just play him straight up on defense.
      TonyRay -
      With Cal it is hard for me not be confident but this is a game that even if we were to lose it would be hard to be upset. After winning in March a win by them wouldn't bother me. Siva is 0-4 with possibility of going 0-5, that has to be some kind of pressure on him and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get in foul trouble which he is prone to do so. Playing with house money this time around.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      I just hope he keeps his feet on the floor until the right time to block shots, or he won't be on the floor 20 minutes.
      He's gotten better but definitely a work in progress.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Yeah, I'm afraid Slick's plan will be to beat up on Harrow. Look for some ugly fouls on Ryan, just to intimidate him.
      Not a doubt in my mind. They get All Access in Louisville and everyone knows he's been working on being less finesse and more physical. Of course their plan is to beat up on everyone, but I think Rick won't mind some hard fouls on Ryan.

The man who brought his team in here to start a fight in 2010 isn't above putting Ryan on the floor a couple of times to get in his head.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      But sometimes a player like Poythress (who loafs a lots) turns it on big time in the biggest games. I doubt that our man fits that bill, but I'm clutching.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I think that Mays is a big key. He'll be needed for his maturity, bu the has to break out of his shooting slump. If he hits like he can UK could hang with them. If not it may get ugly.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      My hope is that the UL cheap shots will tick him off to the point he just has to show the world what he can do, instead of crawling into a shell and becoming a non factor. He just needs to get riled and play basketball without thinking and show that the guys that do the draft boards they are right.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      My hope is that the UL cheap shots will tick him off to the point he just has to show the world what he can do, instead of crawling into a shell and becoming a non factor. He just needs to get riled and play basketball without thinking and show that the guys that do the draft boards they are right.
      One outcome is definitely that the cheap shots and other UL/Rick tactics finally tick them off so bad they froth at the mouth and take it to someone.
  • KSR Twitter Feed