Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• James Quick surprised no Kentucky coaches came to Trinity to recruit

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClJbSvOM_o[/video]

Trinity receiver James Quick, a four-star recruit, says he’ll base his college choice on “whichever coach can connect with my family more than anything because family is the most improtant thing to me” and that was obvious by the turnout of family members recently when he received the Paul Hornung Award as the state’s top prep player.

He’s going to pick either Louisville or Ohio State during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 5 in Texas.

He admits Louisville “is definitely ahead of Ohio State” and that he likes Louisville coach Charlie Strong because “he is all about team” more than anything.

But what if new UK coach Mark Stoops and offensive coordinator had been at Kentucky longer and had been able to recruit him for more than just a week weeks?

“I think they are going to do a great job as far as rebuilding their program. Bringing in a great style of offense that I would love to play in and just coming after me as a good fit for them because I like to play in an offense that actually throws the ball, all that impressed me. With their offensive coordinator and defense, they are going to come in and have some fun,” Quick said. “WhenI talked to coach Brown, he talked to me about their offense. He told me to watch their offense and the way he did things. I did and really liked what I saw.

“They were in my head slightly. Not much, but I did give them a look to see if that is where I wanted to go. But these other schools just recruited me a lot longer and lot harder.”

Why? Why would UK not recruit the state’s best player at the state’s best high school program?

“Usually when coaches come to the school you see the coaches and you do not see the Kentucky coaches much at all. I really can’t tell you why,” Quick said. “At first, it surprised me that the Kentucky coaches weren’t at school. After a while, though, you just got used to it and knew they were probably not going to come. I think that’s going to be different now.”

It is and should be. However, for UK, it comes too late to have had a chance at a big-time receiver who would have been invaluable in Brown’s offense.
    Comments 19 Comments
      dtalbersjr -
      I can tell you why: because the prior staff was completely incompetent in every aspect of running a program. Every single one. The inability to prepare a team and make basic in-game adjustments was apparent from the very beginning to anyone who was watching, but the overall ineptitude is just now becoming apparent.

At least they're gone now.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      I can tell you why: because the prior staff was completely incompetent in every aspect of running a program. Every single one. The inability to prepare a team and make basic in-game adjustments was apparent from the very beginning to anyone who was watching, but the overall ineptitude is just now becoming apparent.

At least they're gone now.
      Hard to argue since one of Jokers strength and one of the reasons he supposedly changed the staff was recruiting. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you have to go to the schools to recruit.

I don't know if we get Quick or not, or whoever from Trinity, but you can't just write off an in state school that produces players like Trinity even if it is so close to Louisville. No SEC team should ever forfeit anything to a BE team.

I feel like we've been sitting in Plato's cave looking at the shadows on the wall and we turn around and see the sun. The only difference being it became obvious we were staring at the shadows prior to turning around.
      catmanjack -
      The kids dad played at UL, really would have been a waste of time but Joker should have went to the school for the other players and future players.

Have seen several articles lately about Quick and he was bound for UL from the day he was born.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quick was a lost cause. As fans we can concede that.

But coaches have to be at Trinity for several reasons: 1) it's the best program and the best coached kids in the state 2) the coaches don't have to pull out all the stops, but in a state like this, you have to make some effort for ALL kids of Quick's stature and 3) Trinity's seniors this year are probably the best class this state has ever produced at one school.
      CitizenBBN -

But coaches have to be at Trinity for several reasons: 1) it's the best program and the best coached kids in the state 2) the coaches don't have to pull out all the stops, but in a state like this, you have to make some effort for ALL kids of Quick's stature and 3) Trinity's seniors this year are probably the best class this state has ever produced at one school.
      Exactly. I know Quick was all but a lost cause (don't forget though Teague and others have been "wrapped up" by other schools as well), but Trinity is too good a program to not be seen in the halls. You have to use your resources wisely but writing off one of the best programs in the state seems to be admitting way too much defeat to Louisville.

Like with everything else Stoops is doing, you have to start with a whole different premise, that this is a great place for football it just hasn't been done right and that's what we're doing now.

Heck, this is UL we're talking about. Yes they've been able to whip us, which means nothing as WKU beat us too and I'm not afraid of them either. They have won in the worst BCS conference in the country that is now dissolved their football was so bad, but they're hardly a school any SEC team should fear. They're basically a good mid-major. The fact they've been beating us is an indication of how bad we've become, not how good they are within the college football universe.
      anderwt -
      Won't mention their names but had a couple folks on her who tried to convince joker was turning it around...lol
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Won't mention their names but had a couple folks on her who tried to convince joker was turning it around...lol
      Kinda slutty to have more than one on at the same time. Just sayin'.
      MickintheHam -

You are all over it. Couldn't agree more. As I said last week, I think Joker and staff were intimidated by going into Louisville schools. You just don't hear many reports of them actually being inside the schools for any reason. I'm sure they were there more than I believe, but you sure don't hear any players talking about it. Every time you hear a report from a Trinity or St. X player it sounds as though they have little truthful information about the UK. There are plenty of Trinity and St. X kids who attend UK. It would seem as though we should get one or two of their athletes each year. It used to be there were always a handful of players on UK's roster from the four largest Parochial Schools in Louisville. With Smith graduating, There are only 7 kids from Louisville on the Roster, one from Trinity and none from the other Catholic schools. We have got to be a player in the game. Hopefully, Stoops will be that player. My apologies to those outstate that don't like anything Louisville, but that area is vital to our future success.
      jazyd -
      We do have some slutty folks. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      MickintheHam -
      I trust that somewhere along the way, you figured out I wasn't one of those folks.
      jazyd -
      Doesn't matter if Quick was UL bound period, you go where the best is in your home state. I bet Saban and his staff do not overlook Hoover HS in Hoover, nor do Ole Miss and MSU..along with several powerhouse teams in the SEC..overlook S Panola HS. You just do not do that, and other coach's in the state know they overlooked Trinity so they knew they didn't work hard.

Joker is supposed to be this great recruiter, fired good coach's off Brooks staff because of recruiting, well the truth comes out. A member here could tell you a personal story about Joker and recruiting and Jokers lack of organizational skills.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      We do have some slutty folks. Just sayin.
      If you could PM me the girls who qualify I'd be grateful.
      MTcatfan -

Not one of those folks, but do we really need to be like this? What's the point? I suppose you have never been wrong in your life? Let's just let bygones be bygones and look to the future as a united fanbase, instead of looking to the past, which does us no good.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      Not one of those folks, but do we really need to be like this? What's the point? I suppose you have never been wrong in your life? Let's just let bygones be bygones and look to the future as a united fanbase, instead of looking to the past, which does us no good.
      I shouldn't have replied to it but the type-o was so tempting.

It really is time to let it go. The civil war is over, like most wars neither side really won and the whole group lost, the dictator fled the country and we have a new government. We can either go around with a firing squad and kill those who picked one side or the other or we can all get about the business of rebuilding the country.

Even unintentionally it's going to be really easy to get the shooting started again for a while. I vote we do our best to avoid calling anyone out.
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      You get fed same crap by some for 3 years, when some saw the faults in joker in year 1...hard to not be pissed and just move on
      dan_bgblue -
      You get fed same crap by some for 3 years, when some saw the faults in joker in year 1...hard to not be pissed and just move on
      Knowing you were/are right is a reward in itself. Being a gracious winner is looked on fondly by the great majority of people.
      anderwt -
      I don't think I'm piling on...and never wanted to be right about joker..I would have loved for him to prove his doubters wrong after year 1..hell same way with Tubby....
      dan_bgblue -
      I dd not mention piling on, and feel exactly the same as you about both coaches. I supported Tubby for 2 years after he failed to deserve it. My only point is for us to all move on from the discussion of Joker's failures and those of MB. I recall it took almost 2 years for the Tubby back and forth bickering to end after he left for Minnie.

It got so old and tiresome the mods and admins often discussed creating a pinned thread where all such debate would take place, but we finally all agreed that doing so would not be in the best interest of the membership.

Given the final outcome it is obvious to all logical folks what happened with the recently departed staff, so I really see no room left for reasoned discussion on the topic. jmho
      kybobcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Attachment 1440
  • KSR Twitter Feed