Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Doc's City of Palms Scouting Report, Part I

Doc has long been a great scouting contributor on KSR, with evaluations that are solid and have proven to be on the money time and again. We're really lucky to have him do this, and he's down at City of Palms this weekend and emailing back his observations for us to post as stories.

So here's Part I of Doc's evaluations from City of Palms:

Made the trek down to Fort Meyers to catch the final two days of the City of Palms tournament and here are my impressions. First I want to say this is a great event to attend as it is well organized and easy for the fan. It features top talent year after year and very entertaining games. Unlike AAU events, this event is comprised of high school teams so the element of teamwork is greater and the rosters more consistent.

Malik Newman-Calloway (Jackson Mississippi)-is a top 5 player in the class of 2015. Initially I was unimpressed with this shooting guard as he started slow and didn't do much. Then the second quarter started and he stepped his game up to the point worthy of the ranking. He seems more comfortable on the wing and in an up tempo game. He showed excellent range and a real strong first step. This looks like a Calipari-type player and one I fully expect UK to stay on. Could easily become one of my favorites in that class,

Rondae Jefferson- Chester
    (Chester PA)-Arizona got a heck of a player here. In my opinion his greatest ability is his passing. He really showed that skill well today in addition to a very solid all around game. He can shoot, he runs the court, he gets to the rim, etc.... He is super solid in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Desmond Ringer-Eagles Landing
    (McDonough GA)-not as highly ranked as I expected based on what I saw because this S. Carolina commit played well. Has a real good frame and reminded me a lot of Randolph Morris in his frame although not as tall. He moved well and I expect him to bring a lot to the gamecocks over the next couple years.

T.J. Haws-Lone Peak
    (Hightland UT) was my pick for best game of the day. Perhaps the best shooter I've seen in quite some time. He was hitting from anywhere on the court. Off balance fade away, etc.... Does not have a great handle but can he ever shoot. He is a BYU commit as a junior

Roschon Prince and Jordan Bell Long Beach Poly
    (Long Beach CA)-Prince is a shooter while Bell excels defensively as a shot blocker. Both top 100 players, both staying out west (S. Cal and Oregon respectively). The pair bring a nice inside outside punch.

Dakari Johnson-Montverde (Montverde FL)-I've seen him several times and still love what he does. IMO he is one of the best big men to come down the line in quite some time. He is a rebounding machine who does it by using his body to clear space. He isn't going to be moved out of the lane. I like him more then Jahil Okafur although now they are different classes. Tonight DK had 17 pts and at least double figures in rebounds and 6-7 blocks.

D'Angelo Russell-Montverde
    -I'd not seen him live until tonight and did not come away impressed. Will see more tomorrow so I hope he shows more.

Akoy Agau Omaha Central
    (Omaha Neb)-UL got a good one. Has tremendous range and especially for a big man. The 6-9 center has no aversion to stepping out and shooting the trey, but unlike many centers who do that, he actually makes them. Scout has him as a 3 star player. That is at least one too few.

Jonathan Williams III-Southwind
    (Memphis TN). I watched him some last summer and "liked him". Like him more now. He is a Missouri commit, who at 6-10 runs the floor real well. He can step out and shoot or play under the glass. Is a bit lean but plays very hard.

JuJuan Johnson-Southwind. A tough kid who can get to the rim or pull up. I can see him playing either the SG or the SF for Marquette. Really plays with a lot of fire and intensity. He finished tonight with a 15 point game but was a much bigger contributor.

I'll have more tomorrow including Jahil Okafur, Brennan Greene, Andrew Wiggins
    Comments 7 Comments
      Critter -
      Thanks Doc
      Padukacat -
      At first look i thought the hyphenated name thing had gotten a bit crazy.....my favorite would be hawes-lone peak!
      Doc -
      Just finished watching Justin Jackson. Interesting prospect. A tall drink of water as we say. Skinny as a rail but got some real good skills. Top 20 in class of 2014. Not sure if there is any Kentucky interest or not. Listed as a G/F, looks more forward but plays like a guard. I'll be interested in how this player pans out
      ukpumacat -
      Always appreciated Doc.
      akaukswoosh -
      Thanks!
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks Doc
      uklandrn -
      You're the best Doc! Thanks!
  • KSR Twitter Feed