Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Portland Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

It is game day which means another episode of my “Things to watch for” series. UK did a good job of showcasing some energy against Samford in the first half but let it slide in the second half leading to a disappointed John Calipari. After a week of what has been called “intense” practices, it will be interesting to see how the young Cats respond. Without further ado, here are my things to watch for:

*Defense

Samford was shut down in the first half but was able to put up 42 points in the second half. To say Calipari was unhappy is probably the understatement of the year. This team has to lock down perimeter players and when they get beat allow the big men to clean up the mess. Defense hasn’t been a point of much contention this year, but there are enough mistakes that it must be cleaned up in a hurry.

*Harrow’s breaking out party

We all know it’s coming. Ryan Harrow is going to show up and dominate a game thus forcing Calipari to insert him into the starting lineup and solving the point guard issues. At least we all hope it is coming. Harrow has been ill this year and not at 100% but at some point he has to buckle down and start playing basketball like he deserves to be at UK. I think it may be this game.

*Poppin off the bench

Willie Cauley-Stein had his best game of the season last game with 12 points, 12 rebounds and 4 blocks. That stat line is hopefully just a sign of things to come and hopefully he can continue to be a steady force off the bench. Who else will have a breakout game from the bench? Will it be Harrow, Hood, Polson? My money is on Harrow against Portland.

*Still MIA

Kyle Wiltjer’s shot. That is all on that subject.

I will be moving and won’t be able to do my post game analysis feature, but it will be back next game. Until then, go big blue.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks for the mandatory pregame reading, Tyler. Good luck with the move.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by tyleradkins View Post
      By: Tyler Adkins

*Harrow’s breaking out party

We all know it’s coming..... At least we all hope it is coming.

+1
      MickintheHam -
      One more time Tyler. you are knocking it out of the park.
      Padukacat -
      I dont see harrow breaking out...ever.
      Darrell KSR -
      Harrow dominated some ACC games two years ago. May not have dominated yesterday, and I'm not sure what breaking out will consist of, but I think he's on his way, depending on your definition.

8 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, and only 1 turnover in 25 minutes is on its way. Might be too much Goodwin-Poythress-Noel-Mays to truly dominate a game, but a double-double is coming sooner rather than later, IMHO.
  • KSR Twitter Feed