Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kyle Wiltjer still slumping; Calipari says he doesn't practice like last year

By ASHLEY SCOBY

Will Wiltjer regain this form?

Kentucky had just won by 32 points against Samford Tuesday night, but the post-game mood of the Wildcats did not reflect the point gap. After heading into the locker room with a 45-14 lead, UK only outscored Samford 43-42 in the second half, drawing the ire of Coach John Calipari.

The cause for his team’s sluggish second half, according to Calipari, was a lack of conditioning. He said that no player on the team could play for longer than three minutes at a time because they were so “out of shape.” With this in mind, he will institute “Camp Cal for the next three weeks,” which will get the players’ heart rates up to 175-180, according to the coach.

While lack of conditioning was pointed to as being the main culprit of how closely Samford played Kentucky in the second half, some of the same problems from the Cats’ two most recent losses – Baylor and Notre Dame – persisted.

Kyle Wiltjer’s slump has been one of UK fans’ most talked-about issues this season. In Wiltjer’s first three games, he totaled 16-29 shooting for 55.2% shooting (12-19 from behind the arc for 63.2%). Since then, he has shot 1-5, 1-4, 0-4, 1-9 and 1-5 from the three-point line.

“I’m just trying to get a lot of extra work in to work my way out of this and become a better basketball player,” Wiltjer said.

That extra work begins and ends in the same place for UK basketball players: the Joe Craft Center, about a 50-foot walk from their home at Wildcat Coal Lodge. According to Calipari, the players, including Wiltjer, haven’t been utilizing that opportunity as much as his team did last year.

“Last year (Jarrod Polson) and Kyle were in the gym as much as Michael (Kidd-Gilchrist) and Anthony (Davis),” he said. “They have not been in the gym one night this year.”

What gives? Why are the hardest workers from last year not dribbling basketballs late at night, getting shots up hour after hour? Last year’s team had the “Breakfast Club.” But now, Calipari is saying his team is out of shape and his players aren’t getting in enough practice time.

“We’re just busy,” Wiltjer said. “We just really need to focus on making sure any time off we have, just getting in the gym. We just want to, going forward, keep that intensity and keep working hard.”

For players who are going through so-called slumps, the key has always been to get into the same kind of shooting rhythm the player is used to. Wiltjer says his mechanics haven’t changed since his three-point production started slipping earlier in the season. He says his focus is to just keep getting shots up and working on all aspects of his game to compensate for any lack of offense.

Wiltjer, although still struggling offensively against Samford Tuesday, produced otherwise: seven rebounds, four assists and a steal crowded his stat line.

No matter the statistics, however, Calipari wants his team practicing more than the amount of time he is allowed to coach them per NCAA rules. That extra practice – what last year’s national champions were known for – is the key to breaking out of shooting slumps and building stamina. But it may also have a higher purpose than purely physical rewards.

“Some of it may be mentally, you’re not strong enough,” Calipari said of his team being ‘out of shape.’ “You’re soft, so the conditioning is good. It makes you stronger mentally.”

The Cats will next take on Portland Saturday at 12 p.m.
    Comments 20 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Maybe the 50-foot walk is too far. I know Tubby Smith lamented having to go outside during the winter at Minnesota for his players to work out. I think we need a gym in the dorm.
      Doc -
      Expect many fans to get on Kyle's case like they did Alex. Can't say I blame then when the coach calls them out in public for not doing something.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Maybe the 50-foot walk is too far. I know Tubby Smith lamented having to go outside during the winter at Minnesota for his players to work out. I think we need a gym in the dorm.
      Frankly this group of guys so far is a better fit with Tubby's "whatever" approach. They picked the wrong coach to pull that attitude.
      Ashley Scoby -
      My dorm freshman year had a gym in the basement - it was VERY handy.

Doc - I agree. I gave Wiltjer the chance to respond to what Cal had said, and that's when he gave the comment starting with "we're busy." It's interesting that Cal said that, but maybe he was just trying to motivate him (and others).
      MTcatfan -
      This to me shows that there is a lack of leadership right now on this team. There just isn't a person like MKG to take the mantle of leadership and show others that they need to follow. That really isn't a criticism of anyone, just an observation. I also think that this doesn't mean that a leader CAN'T step up, it just hasn't happened yet. One thing is certain, for this team, the sooner it happens, the sooner they do more than just talk about their potential and actually reach it.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Expect many fans to get on Kyle's case like they did Alex. Can't say I blame then when the coach calls them out in public for not doing something.
      I'd like to know what he's busy doing. Unless it's classes and studying that's not "too busy", that's "my game isn't a priority". if that is the case the fans should get on his case. Cal makes it really clear when they commit what is expected by him and the fans. 25,000 people don't go to the SEC tourney every year for players whose game is less important than Call of Duty. take it or leave it.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      This to me shows that there is a lack of leadership right now on this team. There just isn't a person like MKG to take the mantle of leadership and show others that they need to follow. That really isn't a criticism of anyone, just an observation. I also think that this doesn't mean that a leader CAN'T step up, it just hasn't happened yet. One thing is certain, for this team, the sooner it happens, the sooner they do more than just talk about their potential and actually reach it.
      Agreed. Noel seems the most likely choice right now. Cal has said he has the best work ethic and he sure plays the hardest on the floor.

Cal's next approach is to run them till someone steps up and the team shows some self motivation. If not he'll motivate them with the treadmill.
      UKHistory -
      Interesting and honest comment by Cal. But yeah studies first and basketball second. And third and fourth. Guys like MKG that lead by example are rare which is part of their greatness.
      UKFlounder -
      Is it the lack of MKG or the lack of Darius Miller? Wasn't it Miller who was always the first one in the gym for shooting on game days? I know we all got on him for his lack of aggressiveness in games at times, but if he consistently was first to arrive at practice/shootarounds, perhaps he led by example and maybe that is what is missing.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      Interesting and honest comment by Cal. But yeah studies first and basketball second. And third and fourth. Guys like MKG that lead by example are rare which is part of their greatness.
      I think it's 2nd 3rd and 4th where we're having problems.

Studying is first but Kyle is smart and they take a low hour load during the season. 12-15 hours in the classroom, 20 hours of organized practice, 8*7 hours of sleep a night = 56. 2 games per week max at 6 hours each max = 12. That's 100 hours. There are 168 hours in a week. That leaves 68 hours for out of class study and basketball. Doubt it's taking them 60 hours a week in study. More like 10-12. That means 50 hours or so are going somewhere else.

Even take out 3*1*7 for meals (double counts some game time) and you've got easily 30 hours to spend in the gym a week. Sounds like they're in single digits at best.

In short there's no way they don't have 2-3 hours a day to spend in the gym in addition to practice time, minimum.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I'd like to know what he's busy doing. Unless it's classes and studying that's not "too busy", that's "my game isn't a priority". if that is the case the fans should get on his case. Cal makes it really clear when they commit what is expected by him and the fans. 25,000 people don't go to the SEC tourney every year for players whose game is less important than Call of Duty. take it or leave it.
      You missed my point. Cal has publically called out several players. If the coach is going to do it, how can you expect the fans not to? Personally I believe there are some aspects that are between a coach and the players. In private, the coach should rip them if need be but not in public or the media in any circumstance short of fisticuffs during a game. Yet at nearly every single half time or post game comment Cal mentions how uninspired the team is or how they are not working hard enough or some other negative aspect and mentions specific players. IMO that isn't a good thing. IMO you can't expect the fans not to pick up on it. When the coach says it then it becomes fair game and every fan whats to show how knowledgeable they are by simply repeating it. So I won't really fault the fans when they get on Kyle for not putting in the effort (or when the go after Alex) because they are taking their cues from the coach.

For me, I don't have the need to know what he is too busy doing. I know many won't agree but its really none of my business. It is coaches and I'll let him deal with it but do wish he would deal with it in private.
      CitizenBBN -
      Disagree Doc. When players are playing with such lack of passion, the coach can either call it what it is and yes confirm (or enlighten) fans about it or he can say it's all good and come off as an idiot. UK fans know the score, lack of effort was the #1 thing, almost the only thing, I've heard from dozens of people since the exhibition games well before Cal was beating this drum so hard.

UK fans have cheered for diving on the floor and hustle plays, even unsuccessful ones, since I have been alive. We don't need Cal to tell us they aren't playing with passion and effort. Now the only question is if Cal wants to try to fool some of us and look like an idiot to the rest or if he wants to "keep it real" as he tells the players he will do from the time he recruits them.

"I can't hide you here." He's doing just what he said, and was completely up front about it. He's asked fans to not call them out directly, that was never part of the deal and he's right, but there's nothing he can do to convince us we shouldn't be frustrated with their lack of effort. You can do that and still support and cheer them, which we have done.

Maybe the few morons out there have been encouraged in their behavior by Cal's comments but not much you can do about those idiots anyway. the one I wanted to throw off the upper deck was no different than the ones I heard even more during Tubby's tenure when he didn't call out the players and instead looked like an idiot a lot.

For your premise to hold we'd see less of that behavior with a coach who never calls out players, and we don't. This may help give them a slogan, but they're going to be buttheads no matter what the coach does. Some people are just jerks who feel bigger by putting others down, and what emboldens them is losing b/c then they have an excuse. Lived through 7 coaches now at UK and they haven't changed a bit with the coach.

As for what Kyle does, I don't really need to know the details, that's rhetorical, but I know it's BS and if he doesn't he has a lot to learn.
      LakeCat -
      Perhaps the "entitled" comment made by Woods is ringing true to a certain extent. I am confident Cal will correct that sentiment. Don't put out this year, you might not make the pros and next year I will have a replacement for you in the next recruiting class.
      Jeeepcat -
      "We're just busy....."

smh
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      Perhaps the "entitled" comment made by Woods is ringing true to a certain extent. I am confident Cal will correct that sentiment. Don't put out this year, you might not make the pros and next year I will have a replacement for you in the next recruiting class.
      Really good callback. Sean needed to keep it internal, only Cal is in position to air that laundry, but sounds like Sean may not be as "those darned kids" as I had swagged.
      bigsky -
      Wiltjer needs to tweet something about the Coach like Josh Harrelson did. Or just go dierectly to his training
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      Wiltjer needs to tweet something about the Coach like Josh Harrelson did. Or just go dierectly to his training
      Maybe we can help him out with a fake twitter account. Something like "don't know how a treadmill will help my shooting."
      dan_bgblue -
      “Camp Cal for the next three weeks,” which will get the players’ heart rates up to 175-180, according to the coach.
      Well that explains what the trainers were adjusting on Poythress, under his jersey, during the Samford game. His back stayed to the camera and we never got to see a "device" but the 1" to 1 1/2" black strap that circled his chest area was fully visible. Dave Baker even let it slip on air when he said "it could be a heart monitor or something".
      jazyd -
      come on Darrell, 50 ft is a long walk for these kids, they aren't like they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      jazyd -
      dont like the 'too busy' comment to be honest. If you are 'too busy', you don't need to get the minutes and it appears that will rub off on the freshmen if the few upper class guys have that attitude. I would make Wilt run a little extra every morning until he realizes he has a little more time than he thinks. Bad comment to make with Cal as his coach.
  • KSR Twitter Feed